HST Info

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by katiep, Dec 27, 2001.

1. katiep

katiep Senior Member

Hi,

A couple of questions:

1. How many people apply for the 30 HST spots, as opposed to HST and NP combined? I thought it was harder to get into, so why are people interviewed for HST but not NP?

2. Are the stats (MCAT, GPA, etc.) to get into HST significantly higher than NP? I've asked this question a while ago, with responses quoting high 30's MCAT, so I was wondering at this point if anyone had actual experiences in terms of numbers. Or is research experience, and engineering/technology knowledge the deciding factor?

Thanx.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. megkudos

megkudos Senior Member

what is HST?

4. katiep

katiep Senior Member

Harvard has two straight MD tracks: New Pathway with 135 students, which is PBL and self-teaching, and Health Sciences and Technology with 30 students, which has a more traditional approach but with technology and engineering classes thought at MIT. The admissions requirements for HST are slightly more stringent, plus a thesis is required for graduation.

5. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus

A bit of a bump here...

I'm curious as to the answer to this question. Does anybody have any ideas? Did they say anything to you in your interview, Original?

I do believe that the turnaround time for receiving an interview is less than NP, but that's about all I know about the application process... :(

6. Original

Original Ogori-Magongo Warrior

I don't know how many people apply to HST. Harvard interviews ~800 out of ~5000 and accepts ~1/3 interviewees.

I think it is slightly more difficult to get into HST vs NP; but the fact is that they have INDEPENDENT adcoms, therefore it is very possible to get into HST but not NP. In addition, they seek different things in their applicants due to the different program structures and goals. HST (my preference) is looking for lots of research as well as a good math, engineering, and physical science backgrounds. The structure involves alot of class-time and mandatory research leading to a thesis. New-Pathway on the other hand involves very little class time (~2 hrs/day); consequently lots of free-time as well as self-learning and interests-exploration (the good stuff!).

My HST interview was on Dec 18; and I'm yet to get a New-Pathway interview. My interviewer told me that they are seriously backed up in the process. The admissions personel are having to sort apps by hand. They also said that decisions will probably be sent out later than in normal years. On our way out my interviewer freaked me out in the elevator when he told me that they'll be discussing me that same night. So I think they make decisions right after interview and inform applicants at the end of the cycle.

I'll go back to Boston if I get a NP interview.