Huge mistake in my primary AMCAS application… what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

owouwu

Reaction score
I have a few papers that I’ve contributed to that were submitted to journals. I thought “in press” meant “submitted for review by journal” but I recently learned that it means “accepted for publication.” I mistakenly put “in press” and am really worried now that my primaries are already verified.

I am especially worried that the schools will think I was trying to deceive them — it was an honest mistake.

What do I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to have to bite the bullet and submit a correction.
Thank you for your input and suggestion! I am wondering whether this would be seriously concerning to those reviewing the application, or if there would be a way to explain the cause of the error in a way that sheds light to the honest mistake?

Thank you for your input and suggestion! I am wondering whether this would be seriously concerning to those reviewing the application, or if there would be a way to explain the cause of the error in a way that sheds light to the honest mistake?
With the amount of research that you probably have done, and especially the amount of research that got you your name on four papers... I have a little trouble understanding that you did not know the difference between "submitted" and "in press".

Don't bother trying to explain it. Just say you mistakenly used one term instead of the other, and hope for the best.

Reactions: 2 users
With the amount of research that you probably have done, and especially the amount of research that got you your name on four papers... I have a little trouble understanding that you did not know the difference between "submitted" and "in press".

Don't bother trying to explain it. Just say you mistakenly used one term instead of the other, and hope for the best.
Thank you for your help! I am an immigrant and I assumed it meant one thing but it turned out that I am very wrong. I will submit a correction as soon as possible or as I submit secondaries!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
How long has it been under review? Is this a firsr version or a resubmit?

Email your schools to note the error. You may get them accepted by the time you interview or you may be caught in endless revision cycles.

This is why you always have others checking your work before submitting.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
There were 4 total pubs listed - first was published, 2 were listed as “in press” erroneously, and 1 was listed as “under preparation”
Yeah I agree with @Goro I think you need to submit a correction. That said, I'll be a little more charitable and say I don't think this is a huge deal--with a published article and 2 under review, you clearly have bona fide research experience. I think it's unlikely someone would intentionally try misleading reviewers when this is so easily verifiable, so while it's not ideal and doesn't present you in the best light my reflex reaction would be to believe that it was an honest mistake.

Reactions: 4 users
And the correction should be VERY VERY BRIEF

To whom it may concern.

Due to my oversight and English as second language, on my AMCAS primary application on the Work and Activity entitled "TITLE" I erroneously noted two papers "in press" where they should have been noted "submitted for review". I apologize for any inconvenience this error on my part has caused. Thank you for your consideration

I would not mention English as a second language. Using that as an excuse draws attention to a self-proclaimed deficit that could bias a reviewer. If you blame your error on your poor English skills, then your English skills will be seen as poor. Don't do that to yourself. Just say "due to a misunderstanding on my part, on my AMCAS primary application...."

• Love
Reactions: 3 users