Huge Mistake on Secondary - Any Point in Going to Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoFla62

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just looking over my secondary for Vanderbilt (which I know they don't use for the interview) and realized that in the question related to my research I made two HUGE errors. I wrote it rushed but I read over it and had my boyfriend read over it and neither of us caught them. The first, in the conclusion I was talking about three organ systems and said I was looking at how two were related - only I mentioned the wrong two. The second, I said "that the many of" instead of "that many of." So yeah. I figure it's pretty much over with that school. Is there any point in even wasting the gas money to drive up to Nashville on Thursday and fall in love wtih it?

I am so freaking bummed.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just looking over my secondary for Vanderbilt (which I know they don't use for the interview) and realized that in the question related to my research I made two HUGE errors. I wrote it rushed but I read over it and had my boyfriend read over it and neither of us caught them. The first, in the conclusion I was talking about three organ systems and said I was looking at how two were related - only I mentioned the wrong two. The second, I said "that the many of" instead of "that many of." So yeah. I figure it's pretty much over with that school. Is there any point in even wasting the gas money to drive up to Nashville on Thursday and fall in love wtih it?

I am so freaking bummed.

You should still go to your interview. The second mistake isn't a big deal. The first, on the other hand, if it's brought up, you should tell them you mistakenly put it wrong or something.

But you shouldn't worry too much over these things. Just keep your cool and have a great interview and they won't even notice it.

I am so freaking bummed.

If you have already been accepted to interview at Vandy then you should go! Adcoms have to read thousands of secondaries and chances are they may not have even noticed your errors. It may not even be brought up in your interview...but you will never know if you do not show up. If it does come up just keep your cool and explain the errors. You should definitely go!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you kidding? Adcoms are definitely interested in your research, but accidentally goofing up details about your work in your secondary is not going to hurt you at all. They have bigger and better things to worry about when judging you. Just be ready to intelligently discuss it in your interview, if asked. Relax!

Yes. Adcoms will totally reject you post-interview for misnaming organs and the extra addition of 'the'. Cancel your application now, and let a deserving applicant take his/her rightful throne in the interview seat.

Or, stop being freaking ridiculous and get over it. My word...I thought having signifcicant others was supposed to make pre-meds /less/ anal... :laugh:

Wait wait wait.

Let me get the facts straight. You have an interview. And you aren't going to go?

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND!?!?!?!??!

Wait wait wait.

Let me get the facts straight. You have an interview. And you aren't going to go?

No, I'm not seriously considering not going. I wrote that in a distraught fit of....distraughtness. I'm just BUMMED.

On the bright side, if I don't get in, I can say it had absolutely nothing to do with me as a candidate and blame it all on the typo. :D

Next time play some WoW or something... I almost died reading that.

Wait wait wait.

Woah, woah, woah, woah....

Lois, this is not my Batman mug.

Seriously... go. Don't stress over it. They won't even notice the grammar mistake, and if you're absolutely posessed by your neuroses you can take 15 seconds to mention and correct the first when they say... "Is there anything else you would like to add?"

I am so freaking bummed.

They probably didn't notice. Go to the interview. If they bring it up, just explain your research without any reference to what you mis-wrote. They are unlikely to call you on it.

and if you're absolutely posessed by your neuroses you can take 15 seconds to mention and correct the first when they say... "Is there anything else you would like to add?"

No - absolutely don't mention it unless you are called on it. Use the anything else to add question to sell yourself, not fix your app.

I am so freaking bummed.

The interviewee does not read your secondary! he/she only has your amcas essay.

The secondary is used in the next step of the process...

That's certainly not true everywhere. I've certainly been to interviews where the interviewer had the whole file. Also sometimes the Deans conduct interviews and he certainly has the file.

I realize it's not used at Vanderbilt in the interview. I think that almost makes it worse. Oh well.

I am so freaking bummed.

Go to the interview and answer any questions as to the mistake as they come. If you have been invited for an interview, it would be foolish to turn it down. You can always explain any mistakes but you won't have that opportunity if you don't show up. Besides, gas prices are down so you won't be wasting that much money. The worst case scenario is that you get more experience with that interview. The best case scenario is that you get in. Go to Nashville if you have an interview and be on time.

only I mentioned the wrong two. The second, I said "that the many of" instead of "that many of." So yeah. I figure it's pretty much over with that school.
I'd say it's pretty much over with you and medicine. I don't want a doctor who makes grammatical errors. YOU'RE GONNA BE A BAD DOCTOR!!!1

go to the interview. right now..you think that they were huge mistakes...but the adcom has to read so many primary and secondary essays, and on top of that they are full time faculty members...They may not even notice the mistake. Last year...on my secondary essay I made one grammar mistake, which i noticed this year. i was interviewed at that school and was waitlisted. don't worry about the mistake...go to the interview.

You guys need to keep in mind that Vandy does interview invites pre-secondary. So anything in the secondary really doesn't get considered until their adcom gets ready to make a decision about the applicant. If you write something terrible in the secondary, you'll probably get rejected. Now this case isn't the same, so its the OPs judgement.

Keep in mind that Vandy also only accepts 10-20% of its interviewees! I don't want to sound negative about Vandy but its a tough school to get into.