Huge turnaround

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engelm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a BA in Psychology three years ago with a dismal 2.4 gpa. Since then I have continued working as an Ophthalmic assistant and have recently completed my med school prereqs with a 90 credit hour post-bacc, which i finished with a 4.0. I took the MCAT last year and scored a 33.

Here's my question, and I'm sure you know whats coming...Do I stand a chance? I am hoping that schools will see the dramatic turnaround and see my recent performance as stellar, and would give me a shot. With my three years of clinical experience as well, I am hoping that overall I will be viewed as a great candidate. If need be, I am also looking into SMP.

I am not ruling out DO, but I would MUCH prefer MD...thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Those applying with your stats (I calculate you at just about a 3.0) through AMCAS in the last three years had a 38.4% chance of an acceptance somewhere. That's not a great statistic, and it includes those with significant modifying factors, but it gives you a shot. Getting into an SMP and performing well gives you the better shot. If you're in a hurry, apply to DO schools in the same season, as obviously including them increases your chances of success with one application cycle.

Choose MD schools that look at the whole applicant, rather than just the numbers, like Rosalind Franklin and Wayne State.

Thanks for the reply. Anyone else have any thoughts? I've been thinking about applying for an SMP but with my 4.0 post bacc I thought I would also apply to med schools at the same time to see if I can land that acceptance.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
My story was pretty similar, with the same MCAT score, and I got in. You cannot look at this in terms of your overall GPA and MCAT. You will be looked at differently.

Apply broadly, and include DO schools. If your situation is anything like mine, you'll get interviews at schools you never thought would interview you in a million years, and you'll get rejected from schools you never thought would reject you.

Do not make the $300,000 mistake by going the SMP route. You can get in and get this show on the road right now.

Feel free to drop me a line on PM if you have any questions.

Is there a good reason you want an MD exclusively?

Throw in Temple, Drexel, EVMS, and Tulane too.

And apply to DO schools. A lot of them. You have to apply broadly. Trust me.

Do not be ******ed and not apply to DO schools. That is another $300,000 mistake.

I think if your ECs are good you should feel free to apply to any schools that interest you. If you've done nothing but your job and school, that might not be as true, but a 4.0 is very impressive for a 2-year span, and in my opinion shows a huge amount of personal growth and maturity. Certainly not every school will consider you based on averaging your stats, but as some people said, I bet you'd be surprised at who is willing to give you consideration.

Great information everyone. Thanks for the responses. I was definitely hoping that I wouldnt have to do the SMP after my post-bacc performance. I'm not ruling out DO by any means, and I plan on applying to many of them. I would just prefer to have the MD. But I realize a physician is a physician, and I would much rather have the DO than do something else with my life.

With my three plus years as an ophthalmic assistant and shadowing in both the clinic and operating room, do I need to focus on getting more ECs? I thought I was pretty good there, with all of my experience. My LOR are from two MDs and a professor I had for quite of few of my post-bacc courses, so I think those are solid enough to help me out.

I am from a small town in WA state, and most of my experience is there. I did move to Bellevue, a much larger town, and got some experience there as well, but moved back to do my post-bacc work. I plan on returning to the rural setting, so I'm also hoping that helps me a bit.

I'll definitely apply far and wide. Thanks guys.

Just remember that you aren't a lock anywhere. MD schools, DO schools, whatever. Apply to as many schools as you can afford to.

Haha! Noted :).

I wont be ******ed and not apply to DO schools. Actually, a new one just opened last year right next to my hometown, so I may end up there if I can land an MD acceptance.

Haha! Noted :).

I wont be ******ed and not apply to DO schools. Actually, a new one just opened last year right next to my hometown, so I may end up there if I can land an MD acceptance.

Perhaps this was supposed to be cant? :p

Members don't see this ad :)

it sounds like it! he def doesn't just say puuuuuunch.

actually, i guess it sorta just sounds like falcon PAWWWWWWWWWN. oh. hey. thatd be pretty sick actually. Falcon PWN.

word. the 64 version is the only smash that matters. but seriously. falcon ROCKS

there you go, now you make sense :)

EDIT: oh wow, way to change your post right after posting it.

I laugh like that in real life. Big whoop ya wanna fight about it?

:smuggrin: :caution:

only with digitally animated characters. i'm a healer not a hater. except in smash. then there's no mercy. like this guy:

cyborgpirateninjajesus8tr.jpg

haha no worries, we have :hijacked: your thread :p

Lol no worries. I went from having around 13 responses to over 20 in a matter of hours. I went to check up, thinking it would be on the second page by now, and to my dismay it was at the top! Then i opened the thread and found all this! Haha!

But I must say...Captain is my stand-by! If I could land acceptances to schools as well as I can falcon punch people I'd be set! :D

Lol no worries. I went from having around 13 responses to over 20 in a matter of hours. I went to check up, thinking it would be on the second page by now, and to my dismay it was at the top! Then i opened the thread and found all this! Haha!

But I must say...Captain is my stand-by! If I could land acceptances to schools as well as I can falcon punch people I'd be set! :D

YEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! :highfive:

Falcon is slow. Fox or Ness; end of story.

lol

Falcon is slow. Fox or Ness; end of story.

lol

Falcon is NOT slow. He (and I) realize how badass it is to say your own name before everything you do.

Actually, just saying "Falcon" before any activity sounds pretty awesome. Falcon RUN. Falcon EAT. Falcon SHOWER.

Falcon is NOT slow. He (and I) realize how badass it is to say your own name before everything you do.

Actually, just saying "Falcon" before any activity sounds pretty awesome. Falcon RUN. Falcon EAT. Falcon SHOWER.

until he starts doing it in the bedroom... falcon undress! falcon lay! falcon bang! falcon BANG! falcon BAAAAAANGgggahhhugh.... falcon nap

until he starts doing it in the bedroom... falcon undress! falcon lay! falcon bang! falcon BANG! falcon BAAAAAANGgggahhhugh.... falcon nap

Okay, to me, that sounds absolutely hilarious/awesome. :thumbup:

Okay, to me, that sounds absolutely hilarious/awesome. :thumbup:

probably should pass that along to the bf. also, this could make a funny youtube clip.... but i don't think adcoms take too kindly to amateur comedy pr0n...

probably should pass that along to the bf. also, this could make a funny youtube clip.... but i don't think adcoms take too kindly to amateur comedy pr0n...

lol i shall pass it on. we'll see how that works out ;)

depends on how much of a sense of humor your reviewer has :D

It's not that I dislike the concept of falcon and/or the use of falcon before things to make them sound cooler (which it does), but the falcon punch itself takes like 8 minutes to happen.

In a gameplay scenario, this is how the falcon punch plays out >90% of the time.

Fox ::rolls or jumps away from impending punch::
Falcon ::misses::
Fox ::success::

Oh, and to sort of get back on the original topic... OP, I'm in a similar situation, so I wish you the best of luck during this cycle.

I'm applying to 20 schools (split pretty evenly between allo and osteo), but I'll probably add five more before all is said and done.

It's not that I dislike the concept of falcon and/or the use of falcon before things to make them sound cooler (which it does), but the falcon punch itself takes like 8 minutes to happen.

In a gameplay scenario, this is how the falcon punch plays out >90% of the time.

Fox ::rolls or jumps away from impending punch::
Falcon ::misses::
Fox ::success::

Try this:

STAT EKG ::rolls or jumps away from apparent impending punch::
Camaras2480 ::anticipates the move, changes directions, and lands the punch, ninja style :ninja:::
STAT EKG ::Fail::

Try this:

STAT EKG ::rolls or jumps away from apparent impending punch::
Camaras2480 ::anticipates the move, changes directions, and lands the punch, ninja style :ninja:::
STAT EKG ::Fail::

LOL :laugh::laugh:

Speaking of huge turnarounds, this thread sure has take a huge turn! :laugh:

Now I really want to go Falcon "beat the hell out of everyone"!

Interviewer: "Mitch, are you sure you want to become a physician?"

Me: "Yeah I'm sure! Falcon sure!!" :laugh: