Human anatomy in DAT?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grettlin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today, I read the Kaplan DAT prepare book, second edition. I found there are many human anatomy concepts, like vessel, bone, and some.... (I havn't taken anatomy, so can't remember now). I just wonder does anatomy play the important role in DAT? How do you study that by yourself? I think I might need some good books to help me construct the whole picture for that part. Could you suggest some books for me? Thanks a lot!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Grettlin,

AS I mentioned before, try to be well aquianted with every aspect of biology. from plants to human anatomy. About 35% of my questions were on human anatomy. I even had one about osteoblasts and osteoclasts; also I had a couple on brain centers (medulla oblongata controls ...breathing), I had a couple on the renal system (what gets filtered out where), and a few on the female sexual system (where does fertilization take place).

There were several more. I would recommend using the kaplan book along with your text book to learn the stuff. I have a TON of stuff I need to get rid of and I probably can find something that you might want. Please email me or PM me if you are interested.

DesiDentist

Keep studying the Kaplan book. Know it well. It was my main source of study and I ended up w/ a respectable 20 in Bio. It clued me in on every question (I could eliminate an answer or two) except 1 or 2.

MATT

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a bone question - it was a which one is not part of your upper limbs question. The answers given were fibula, humerus, etc. fibula is the correct answer since it's part of the leg.

That was the only one that I got about anatomy that I can remember - although I could just be blocking out that experience from memory!

best of luck with your DAT studies...

djsux

Is there any more questions on the Bio section anyone would like to share?

Hi guys! Thanks for your reply and willing to share the experience. Now, I get the idea about the anatomy playing in DAT. Thanks!

I think I had a question where I had to name the valves in the heart in order or something like that. It was a long time ago, so I don't really remember. I do remember having alot of developemental biology type questions, and only one or two biochem type questions, which dealt with oxidative phosphorylation. I also had a question that asked in some sneaky, obtuse way, which species had a notochord and not actual verterbrae. I definately don't remember what the answer to that one was.

I believe, despite what many people are saying to the contrary, that the kaplan book does a good job of preparing you for biology. Honestly, there is way too much material on the bio-section to just "cram." If its at all possible I would recomend taking a physiology class before you take the DATs because it will cover a wide range of topics in great detail.

As far as kaplan and the chemistry section is concerned; I feel like the kaplan book went way way way too much into detail in some areas and completely glossed over others. On the test I had a couple chemistry questions that I just scratched my head at and randomly picked whichever answer looked the least wrong.

But, anyways, really the only way to prepare for the bio section is to memorize as much as you possibly can. Alot of the questions are tricky and sneaky, and just having a cursory understanding of certain organs/pathways/species etc might not be enough. Whatever happens, I wish you good luck.

Oh, one more thing. You know how the DAT is supposed to test knowledge that you gained in your lower level bio, organic chem and general chem classes? I don't know about the rest of your schools and what you learn in the lower level classes, but I definately did not learn a majority of the topics that you had to know about for the biology section of the DATs in my lower level bio courses. I'm lucky though, because I took the test right after I finished a bunch of upperlevel bio courses and organic chem, so it was all fresh in my mind. If you can do that, I recomend that as well. It makes studying much easier if you can just bust out your organic chem notes a few weeks after you took the final. Its like studying in bulk.