Human cadaver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solid snake

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you guys donate your body for the benefits of science and medicine? I'm reading this interesting book and was wondering if you guys had any opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by solid snake
Would you guys donate your body for the benefits of science and medicine?

No.

-JmE-

I think I've already donated. I'm an organ donor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an organ donor but i wouldn't want to be a cadaver when I check out. When I hung out with my doctor friends when they were in starting med school they would always make jokes or some stupid remark about their cadavers. I know it's in good fun but I would be furious if I knew that I gave my body to science only to have these 22 year old kids snicker about my "fat composition".

Originally posted by loomis
I am an organ donor but i wouldn't want to be a cadaver when I check out. When I hung out with my doctor friends when they were in starting med school they would always make jokes or some stupid remark about their cadavers. I know it's in good fun but I would be furious if I knew that I gave my body to science only to have these 22 year old kids snicker about my "fat composition".

I feel the same way (except about the fat part, no offense ;)). I mean, when I die, I want to have a little dignity...just a LITTLE.

I took a Gross Anatomy lab. The experience was not very scary at all, but I think that everyone in the entire class came to the conclusion that nobody there would ever even consider donating their bodies for teaching purposes. From getting your organs taken apart to having your pelvis and genitals and skull sawed in half....its not something I would want to happen to me when I'm dead. My answer is a big fat NO when it comes to donating my body for teaching purposes. Organ donation is a totally different animal compared to donating your body for science, actually not even in the same league in my opinion. I sometimes wonder if those who do end up donating their bodies for science even realize what happens to them on that cold metal table.

even realize what happens to them on that cold metal table

sssshhhh - don't tell. just thank 'em:)

i took human anat and physio at hahneman/drexel med a while ago ('98) and the storage of the cadavers kinda turned me off to donting body (though i'm an organ donar). they have the bodies stacked on top of each other (in one area), and the immense weight greatly disfigures an already morbid image (maybe they changed their method since then ....dunno). regardless, i'd pass, but thank those who do.

Not all bodies donated to science are used for teaching med students. Last week, I extracted some fresh prostate glands from recently deceased persons. We are using them in our lab to do research on MRI-guided injection therapies for prostate cancer.

Doesn't it seem a little hypocritical for a group of med/pre-med students to put down and so fervently object to donating their bodies after death when I am sure that we (myself included I am sure) would be the people complaining the loudest when gross lab was reduced to simple lecture with some old slides flashed on a screen because there were no bodies for the dissection. I agree completely that it may not be the most dignified after death profession but your body may be the one that trains the Dr. that ultimately finds a cure for cancer or saves the life of your child or grandchild. As glamorous as it may not be it is one of the most important and possibly noble things you can do after death. What are the alternatives? Spend eternity in a box under some dirt, or in an urn on a mantle (you'll be there eventually either way). Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

It just seems wrong to me that people treat their cadavers with disrespect like that. I hope I don't end up making a joke about my cadaver when I get into that position.

Originally posted by Spidey
It just seems wrong to me that people treat their cadavers with disrespect like that. I hope I don't end up making a joke about my cadaver when I get into that position.

i feel the same way.... :(

a 98 year old friend of mine donated her body when she died. it will be hard for me to take gross without thinking of her. :(

Solid snake, what book are you reading? I read a book earlier this summer (of course now I can't think of the name but I'll get back to you on that) that talked about the anatomy lab at a med school in NJ. It was a great book actually, dealt a lot with the personal reflections of 4 med students throughout the lab and also had a chapter about the life of the cadaver that they dissected. One student noted that someone once told her nothing she will do is 100% selfless. She determined during the lab that the people that donated their bodies to science acted 100% selflessly. :clap: They got absolutely nothing in return. It was an interesting revelation. As of now I'm just an organ donor, but as I get older I may change that decision (and instead donate my body to science). We'll see how anatomy goes next fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by daver
... I am sure that we (myself included I am sure) would be the people complaining the loudest when gross lab was reduced to simple lecture with some old slides flashed on a screen because there were no bodies for the dissection.

I would not be complaining. The reason I will be dissecting is that it is required. If it were not, I wouid opt not to dissect.

-JmE-

i think even organ donors don't have it that easy. they don't just go for the kidney, liver, etc...i understand that the entire dermal layer of the body is removed for plastics. :yuck:

Originally posted by Gradient Echo
Not all bodies donated to science are used for teaching med students. Last week, I extracted some fresh prostate glands from recently deceased persons. We are using them in our lab to do research on MRI-guided injection therapies for prostate cancer.

My god, thats got to be the sickest thing Ive ever heard of!

In Anatomy, we never had to go diggin around in the cadavers chode!

Let the dead rest in peace!!!;)

Originally posted by Bikini Princess
i think even organ donors don't have it that easy. they don't just go for the kidney, liver, etc...i understand that the entire dermal layer of the body is removed for plastics. :yuck:

This is not true....People pick and choose what they need out of you, (literally :laugh: ) and then they go and get it....

YOu dont get a standard "strip down" where your cornea, liver, kidneys, and then dermis is removed....

If there is an accident victim nearby when you die, they may harvest your skin w/ split skin graft, etc...

So, anywayz...Once it becomes pssible, w/ neural transistors, etc., Would anyone here agree to donate your body for a "head transplnt"/"Total Body Transplant"?????

PADoc2be,

The book is called Body of Knowledge: One Semester of Gross Anatomy, the Gateway to Becoming a Doctor by Steve Giegerich.

I'm not a med student yet, still pre-med and picked this book up in the bargain rack at a bookstore. Pretty interesting read if any of you guys have the time. So, yes, PADoc2be, this is the book you are talking to about.

She determined during the lab that the people that donated their bodies to science acted 100% selflessly.

Actually, I am a physical therapist (non-Trad Med) and the cadavers that we dissected in school received $50 for donating there bodies to science. At least that is what we were told.

Originally posted by BrianMSPT
Actually, I am a physical therapist (non-Trad Med) and the cadavers that we dissected in school received $50 for donating there bodies to science. At least that is what we were told.

Hmmm...I wonder on what a cadaver would spend it's $50? :laugh:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Originally posted by racerx

Hmmm...I wonder on what a cadaver would spend it's $50? :laugh:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Maybe some makeup. I hear dead people look pale. :D

sorry, couldn't resist either.

Originally posted by Kry

Maybe some makeup. I hear dead people look pale. :D

sorry, couldn't resist either.

god - so macabre.
you know what though - I would like to see it a requirement that all doctors submit their bodies to science.
ok ok - I know all that religous stuff would get in the way.
but still, I think it is a little hypocritical to profit from the generosity of a stranger and then go - "but I would NEVER give my body up for dissection"
I know its hard to believe, but YOUR DEAD - you really wont know the difference.
for me its a nice reminder that as important as you think you are - you're really insignifcant.

Organ donor: Yes
For med school cadaver: No
(I've seen what happens to them!)