Human Development Grad- MFT, LCSW, LPC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YesAggie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and I have a couple of questions to ask.

I am a recent Human Development grad from UC Davis. I was a transfer student. I was in high honors in community college and had a 4.0 gpa the first year and then a 3.4 the second year and third year. I went into UC Davis not knowing what I wanted to do afterwards. I knew I wanted something related to therapy/ counseling. I did not do well my first quarter; my advisor said it was because I was getting used to the system difference (quarter vs. semester). I did better the next quarter, but then my husband's immigration (deportation) court date was getting closer. I'm always afraid of mentioning this because people think I use it as an excuse, but it really affected me. -I was depressed and on meds and even had to drop a course because I could no longer concentrate and sleep. I had trouble for a couple quarters, but this last two quarters helped me a lot. I ended with a 2.5 gpa. I am even embarrassed to say it because it's extremely low. I know that I am capable of doing much better, but I was focused on finding solutions to stop my husband's deportation. I do not know where to apply now that I graduated. I want to go to graduate school, but I do not know if a program would even consider me because I do not have any research to back me up. I did a "practicum type" class in UCD in the Center for Child and Family Studies. It was a program designed to work with children in a group setting. We learned about their development and applied theory and research to enhance children's development, but it was only for a quarter. I have mainly focused on "giving English classes" to people that didn't speak English from my home and being a translator for immigration cases and court cases (criminal/family law). I did not give legal advice (just translated documents or through the process). I don't think this helps, but I will just throw it out incase it does. :) I am currently preparing myself for the GRE. I think I might have 1 or 2 good LOR, but perhaps not that strong.? Because I knew them for a couple of months and a couple of classes.

I have decided to find a job (if I can find any) or volunteer as a counselor at a mental health institute (because mental health is my main interest) or as a substance abuse counselor. If I do not get a job, I might volunteer at several places at the same time. I'm not sure where I can find a research opportunity because I have graduated.

Wow. long story. I'm sorry about all the details. I'm just desperate for help. I have read into MFT, LCSW, and LPC, but I do not know what to do. My first option was MFT, but most programs need a 3.0 gpa. Those that don't are mainly professional schools like (Phoenix, Alliant, etc.) I've read so many bad reviews about them that I feel it would be a complete waste of money to go that route. I saw Sac State has it and it's close to Davis, but how can I be a stronger candidate? During my "low point- depression" I went to see an MFT and I loved what she did, but my dream was/is to get a PhD. in Clinical Psychology (I rather focus on counseling and not research). After this long story and feeling hopeless, does someone think I have a chance to fix my future? How can I spend this year becoming a stronger candidate? Thank you all very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I would suggest maybe taking some more psych/humanities courses and trying to get stellar grades. This way you can show that you can succeed in a related program. Maybe start by looking into MSW or MFT programs that you are interested in that have prerequisite courses you have not yet fulfilled and do well in this courses. Many of these msw programs don't require the gre.