human growth hormone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superduper12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
mcat -

my EK book says that - human growth hormore mobilizes fat stores and increases the use of fatty acids for energy.

what does mobilize fat stores mean?

it also says that hgh increases the rate of protein syntesis. and that "the effect on proteins by hgh is accomplished by increasing amino acid transport across the cell membrane, increasing translation and transcription, and decreasing breakdown of protein and amino acids"

i'm just confused, does this mean that hgh cause more protein to be made and amino acids leave the cell? where are amino acid transported when they cross the cell membrane...are they leaving or entering the cell?

Members don't see this ad.

mcat -

my EK book says that - human growth hormore mobilizes fat stores and increases the use of fatty acids for energy.

what does mobilize fat stores mean?

it also says that hgh increases the rate of protein syntesis. and that "the effect on proteins by hgh is accomplished by increasing amino acid transport across the cell membrane, increasing translation and transcription, and decreasing breakdown of protein and amino acids"

i'm just confused, does this mean that hgh cause more protein to be made and amino acids leave the cell? where are amino acid transported when they cross the cell membrane...are they leaving or entering the cell?

Growth hormone is considered an "anti-insulin" meaning it will have opposite efx of insulin. Ex: instead of storing and saving up energy fuels, you will be breaking them down and utilizing them (fats, proteins). The fats can be used in FA oxidation for ATP and the AAs can be used as gluconeogenic precursors.

By mobilizing fat stores, it means that triacylglycerols are broken down in adipose tissue and the resulting free fatty acids are released into the blood for transport to tissue for use in beta-oxidation and ultimately energy production.

Amino acid transport is into cells (especially skeletal muscle, etc). The name "human growth" hormone" gives it away. Amino acids are taken up for protein synthesis inside the cell. Increased transcription/translation of proteins uses these amino acids as building blocks.

It maybe helpful to think of it this way. Athletes, bodybuilders, etc use HGH to improve athletic performance/muscle mass/body composition. So, HGH helps remove fat ("mobilizes fat from adipose tissue") and helps build muscle (protein synthesis and amino acid transport into cells for "protein building").

Last edited: