Humanities graduate GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AcademicMamaBear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

If I have a graduate degree or two in non-science-related fields, how—if at all—are those GPAs looked at? Do they get factored in at all? Or do they have no influence since they are not science fields?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know that they have no bearing on your AAMC GPA calculation simply because they're not undergraduate grades.

Beyond that, I believe they're taken into consideration but it probably won't have much effect on your application unless you did poorly in them.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!

If I have a graduate degree or two in non-science-related fields, how—if at all—are those GPAs looked at? Do they get factored in at all? Or do they have no influence since they are not science fields?

Thanks for your help.
DO will count them (but as an Adcom, I won't take it seriously). MD will ignore them.

You need to show us that you can handle rigorous science coursework.

So the rigor of the degree itself wouldn’t matter? I had over a 3.0 as an undergrad and then close to a 4.0 in an MFA and PhD. I’m up for tenure this year while completing my prerequs for med school applications. I’m wondering if the increase in GPA plus rigor of the programs and ability to successfully complete the science prerequs while on the tenure track will be beneficial. Rephrase: I’m hoping these experiences will speak positively of me as an applicant.