Humanities majors and med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Everett True

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a college freshman, and I've just begun the process of picking a major with my advisor (freshmen don't technically declare a major until the end of a year, at least). In high school and at the beginning of this year, I figured that because I want to go to med school, I should major in biology or some other science. However, I'd really like to major in history, since it's the subject I enjoy the most.

I'm curious to know if majoring in history rather than science, as long as I take all my med school pre-reqs, would have any effect on my application, whether helpful or harmful. Has anyone out there done something like this, and if so, what was your experience like?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, many people major in the humanities and do quite well as long as they maintain good grades in their science coursework. Some of these majors have higher acceptance rates than science majors, although a self-selection bias might come into play. There are many threads addressing this various issue if you want to search for them.

General consensus (and my personal opinion...music major with no regrets and a healthy number of interview invites/acceptances) is to major in something you enjoy during your undergrad years - especially if it falls outside the biomedical sciences.

Well, I majored in English. I know a few people who majored in humanities and went to med school, so I didn't really think too much of it. Hopefully, it's not a big deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know several Anthropology majors who got into med school easily. Do well in prereqs, do well on the MCAT, and you'll be fine. Probably better than a biology major who was identical in every other aspect.

Ultimately what's most important is your GPA, and enjoying your classes will help with that.

I'm a college freshman, and I've just begun the process of picking a major with my advisor (freshmen don't technically declare a major until the end of a year, at least). In high school and at the beginning of this year, I figured that because I want to go to med school, I should major in biology or some other science. However, I'd really like to major in history, since it's the subject I enjoy the most.

I'm curious to know if majoring in history rather than science, as long as I take all my med school pre-reqs, would have any effect on my application, whether helpful or harmful. Has anyone out there done something like this, and if so, what was your experience like?

I completely relate to your situation as I had a tough time deciding whether to major in biology or history. In the end, I got a double major in Biology and History, it just took a summer of taking a few history electives to graduate on time as there isn't a lot of overlap of requirements for the two degrees. I really think that taking the history classes with all the science classes provided for a really balanced undergrad education.

I would say that a great portion of my med school interviews has been discussing my decision to obtain the history major, and it seems to have been an asset. If you love history, study it! Medical schools love a diversity of interests in their classes.

I was a philosophy major in college and am applying this cycle, and I personally feel that it's neither helpful nor harmful. Out of the several interviews I've had, only 1 or 2 interviewers have asked about it. And even then, they were very interested and receptive of my unique/weird background.

There is a huge caveat though. Because your app is ultimately reviewed by a committee, you will never know what kind of bias is in or against your favor. Lesson of the day: just do what feels right :thumbup::D

Mount Sinai has a program Humanities in Medicine. You apply for mount sinai in early college. and if you get in, you're guaranteed acceptance when you graduate. the only catch is you CANNOT major in the sciences OR take any pre-med courses. and you dont take the MCAT

The goal is to take pure humanities people and make them doctors. The experiment is working well, these kids are more social and end up becoming better internal med docs and psychiatrists. better people docs... look into it

Being a humanities major you will have more of an opportunity to stand out from the factory-made pre-med students that cycle through year after year. You will have to play some catch-up once you get in, but the main consensus I've heard is to major in something that you love - that way you do well.

Humanities majors can fare quite well. Primarily because Humanities majors require less credits. I will have all of the traditional pre-reqs plus Biochm, mirco, and molecular. So chances are I won't play catch-up.

Hi! Just thought I'd put in my two cents. I chose to major in history, and it was definitely the right decision for me. I absolutely loved it and was lucky enough to learn from world-class faculty and grad students at the university I was at. Even dabbled in some research and they almost swayed me to the dark (non-science) side.

I have spoken to tons of bio/chem majors and tons of non-science majors at every level, from freshman to med student. Here is what I have gathered:

Advantages:
-you stand out in the admissions process
-you get to try something other than science - 4 yrs bio + 1st 2 yrs med school = a lot :/
-you end up with a higher gpa in some cases - obviously depends on the student and the school

Disadvantages:
-may take you some extra classes to finish your pre-reqs - check your degree requirements for number of free electives
-you will be less prepared for your first year of medical school - depending on how many pre-reqs you take
-it will be harder to find work in a lab - this wasn't a big deal to me

In the end, the best thing you can do for yourself is choose to study what you are most passionate about. This not only helps your GPA but it will come across in interviews - adcoms want to see that you made your decisions (what should I major in? where should I volunteer?) this way.

Last edited:
I was humanities (music/psych) and the adcoms seemed to love it. They found it interesting. Of course, you HAVE to do well in the few science courses you take and your MCAT will need to be solid. You have less to carry you in terms of sciences so don't mess up, but know that humanities majors tend to do better in the clinical years of medical school and that the adcoms eat that stuff up. As a result, they tend to favor humanities over bio or health sciences students.

I've heard rumors that adcoms like history majors due to their ability to digest (and remember) large amounts of information! (Not that bio majors don't do that too, though...)

As a humanities major myself, I really like the fact that my schedule is balanced fairly evenly between science and non-science. I also like the fact that the statistics show that humanities majors have the highest probability of acceptance...(Though the reason for this is ambiguous.) You will have to work a little harder to squeeze everything in than a biology major, but it's worth it in my opinion.

Personally, I'm planning to study abroad next semester in the Czech Rep. and the courses will count towards both GE and Major requirements for me......which will save me from having to add a year! In a nut shell, get creative with your schedule and you can likely make it work without having to add on an extra year.

Last edited:
Here are a few more suggestions:

You'll also need to take coursework to prepare for the new MCAT format, which comes out in 2015. They've added a Social Science section, and they are also beefing up the biology section with added Biochemistry content. Because of this, you should take the following courses, in addition to the standard (8) pre-med classes and your major's requirements:

1. Introduction to Psychology
2. Choose one of the following: Bio-Psych, Neuroscience, Cognition, or Human Perception
3. Introduction to Sociology
4. Biochemistry I (also a recommend course at most medical schools; it is required by a few too!)
5. Choose one of the following: Genetics, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, or Microbiology
6. Human or Vertebrate Physiology (because it is helpful for the MCAT)
7. Introduction to Statistics (some med schools require one semester of stats; most require at least one semester of college-level math....and Statistics is a good choice to fulfill this requirement!)
8. Optional: Calculus I (some med schools require one semester of Calculus so you should consider taking it if you want to maximize your possibilities)

Hopefully you can count some of the above towards university GE, which will save you some time.

Lastly, I'd recommend taking one more medically-relevant biology course if you have time....Immunology, Histology, Hematology, Genetics, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Neurophysiology, or Microbiology are all good choices. Doing well in these four additional upper-division science courses (and on the MCAT) will show adcoms that you're capable in science...despite the fact that you're a history buff!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Here are a few more suggestions:

You'll also need to take coursework to prepare for the new MCAT format, which comes out in 2015. They've added a Social Science section, and they are also beefing up the biology section with added Biochemistry content. Because of this, you should take the following courses, in addition to the standard (8) pre-med classes and your major's requirements:

1. Introduction to Psychology
2. Choose one of the following: Bio-Psych, Neuroscience, Cognition, or Human Perception
3. Introduction to Sociology
4. Biochemistry I
5. Choose one of the following: Genetics, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, or Microbiology
6. Human or Vertebrate Physiology (because it is helpful for the MCAT)
7. Introduction to Statistics (some med schools require one semester of stats)
8. Calculus (some med schools require one semester of calc)

Hopefully you can count some of the above towards university GE, which will save you some time.

Lastly, I'd recommend taking one more medically relevant biology course if you have time....Immunology, Histology, Genetics, Cell, Molecular, Microbiology, or Anatomy are all good choices. Doing well in these four upper-division science courses (and on the MCAT) will show adcoms that you're capable in science...despite the fact that you're a history buff.

Good luck!

He's a freshman, why would he need to take the 2015 MCAT? (Given that he's applying at the end of Junior year like most people).

He's a freshman, why would he need to take the 2015 MCAT? (Given that he's applying at the end of Junior year like most people).

Sorry OP, I was off a year :scared:... you're in luck! You can scratch #s 1-3 from the above list :). You should still consider the rest of my suggestions, though, as they will help with the MCAT, fulfill admissions requirements, and they might ease your transition into med school.

Maybe my list will still be helpful for any HS lurkers....

Edit: Intro to Psych is a fun, fairly easy class.....so you might consider still taking that if it fulfills a GE requirement. It's one of those classes that sucks a lot of people into a minor program...

Last edited:
I was a Psych major and a Religious Studies minor. I don't think my majors have harmed me in the admissions process, and I am extremely happy that I majored in subjects I was interested in. Just do well in your classes, including your prereqs, and there is absolutely no reason to worry about being a humanities major.

Sorry OP, I was off a year :scared:... you're in luck! You can scratch #s 1-3 from the above list :). You should still consider the rest of my suggestions, though, as they will help with the MCAT, fulfill admissions requirements, and they might ease your transition into med school.

Maybe my list will still be helpful for any HS lurkers....

Edit: Intro to Psych is a fun, fairly easy class.....so you might consider still taking that if it fulfills a GE requirement. It's one of those classes that sucks a lot of people into a minor program...
I feel like Psych or any behavioral science for that matter should be a requirement for graduating undergrad.

It'll help your application. History is a notoriously easier subject to master and to excel in than a hard science like Biology and you'll stand out amongst other applicants. Moreover, VR will likely be easier for you.

Just make sure you pick appropriate ECs that blend your academic work with your career goals and you'll be fine. :)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

A question for the humanities majors in this thread who have already gone through the process: Did you do any research during undergrad? If I major in history, I would have a tough time getting into a science professor's lab, because those positions usually all go to science majors. Did you manage to get into a lab, did you do non-science research, or did you focus on volunteering, shadowing, and ECs to strengthen your application?

A question for the humanities majors in this thread who have already gone through the process: Did you do any research during undergrad? If I major in history, I would have a tough time getting into a science professor's lab, because those positions usually all go to science majors. Did you manage to get into a lab, did you do non-science research, or did you focus on volunteering, shadowing, and ECs to strengthen your application?

I started with psych research and transitioned to medical research during my gap year. Any type of research experience/thesis is valuable, but particularly so if it is hypothesis-driven since this correlates better with methods and thought processes behind medical research.

If you have your heart set on bench/basic science research at this point, my advice is to talk with as many PIs/profs as you are able. It is easier to connect with one if you are in their class or are introduced by a friend in their lab. It is also advisable to take intro bio and lab ASAP in your academic career to demonstrate your understanding of the biological sciences.

If you don't have summer commitments yet, a great way to get involved in science lab is to offer to start/train during the summer full time and continue for several years with a reasonable level of weekly commitment. PIs generally like this type of commitment, as your value to their lab rises dramatically with experience.

If you are at a public university or small liberal arts school, I know that the options might be somewhat limited. If you do well in your science courses and interview well, you will probably get a position. Where there's a will (and reasonable amount of aptitude), there's a way.

I did not do any research, and have been lucky to have a couple acceptances . There are some details about my ECs in my MDapps profile. I was interested in doing psych research, but was never able to get into it for a variety of reasons. If you are interested in research, I don't think you will have too much trouble getting involved with it. If you're not interested in research, I wouldn't advise doing it to check the boxes.

You talk about the non-science major as though it's a weakness. That said, compared to a lot of my sciency pre-med friends, I had limited research experience as an undergrad, and much of it was non-science—but this was entirely by choice. Weirdly enough, my most significant undergrad research experience isn't even in my "activities" section because I took it for credit.

You won't necessarily have a hard time getting into a lab. I even tried my hand at a couple of labs freshman year, but the type of research wasn't for me. I wasn't firmly pre-med, either—just exploring my interests. It wasn't until I graduated two years ago that I had any major medical research experience.

Beyond that, I didn't "volunteer" in the traditional sense. I shadowed, obviously, but I didn't really mention it in my app (note: these aren't suggestions :p). The point I'm leading up to is that if you're genuinely passionate about what you're doing and studying, it will show in your application and on interviews. And if you can find some way to integrate those interests into medicine and research, you've hit the jackpot. My transition to medicine was a natural one, even given that certain admissions folks had never seen my major come across their desk (in their words). I don't think I would be quite as lucky during the current application cycle if I hadn't taken chances and done what I truly enjoyed.

I was a psych major and I only did research in psych labs. I also had a ton of volunteering, shadowing, etc but I never did any bio research. My lack of bio research did not hurt me whatsoever in the application process.

Late response here, but I believe being a humanities major can actually help. I have so far gotten interviews from two out of the three top 20 schools I applied to and it's probably because of my major (my GPA is ~3.6 and my MCAT is in the 32-35 range). Majoring in history will also open up a lot of unique extracurricular opportunities, which will make you stand out. If you decide to go down that road, just make sure you take science courses beyond the pre-med requirements, volunteer in some sort of clinical setting, and do scientific research if you can. Med schools like to see that you're interested in using science to help people.

Good luck! :)

Mount Sinai has a program Humanities in Medicine. You apply for mount sinai in early college. and if you get in, you're guaranteed acceptance when you graduate. the only catch is you CANNOT major in the sciences OR take any pre-med courses. and you dont take the MCAT

The goal is to take pure humanities people and make them doctors. The experiment is working well, these kids are more social and end up becoming better internal med docs and psychiatrists. better people docs... look into it

I can't imagine them being at the tops of their class though. And since when do science majors inversely correlate with social skills? I'm very social.

Not to discourage you, but you should major in something you really enjoy because realistically less then 10% of people who start out premeds, graduate premeds, and of those only 40ish% get accepted. So its never a bad idea to have a plan B.

Yes, many people major in the humanities and do quite well as long as they maintain good grades in their science coursework. Some of these majors have higher acceptance rates than science majors, although a self-selection bias might come into play. There are many threads addressing this various issue if you want to search for them.

General consensus (and my personal opinion...music major with no regrets and a healthy number of interview invites/acceptances) is to major in something you enjoy during your undergrad years - especially if it falls outside the biomedical sciences.

That is completely false. Every medical school that posts class profiles have the highest acceptance rate when it comes to those who majored in biological sciences.

That is completely false. Every medical school that posts class profiles have the highest acceptance rate when it comes to those who majored in biological sciences.

:thumbup:

Its also skewed by the fact that for every 100 science majors who apply there are maybe 1 music major, 3 english, 3 history etc.

I dunno. A rate of acceptance isn't necessarily the number of applicants who get in. I think of a rate as the number who get in divided by the number of applicants . So if you had 3 music majors get in out of 6 that applied, versus 100 biology majors of 5000 who applied the music major acceptance rate would be higher.

I also read a statistic saying that nonscience majors tend to do better on the mcat. Google mdodyssey 's blog for details on this.

I can't imagine them being at the tops of their class though. And since when do science majors inversely correlate with social skills? I'm very social.

Actually...

Can we improve on how we select medical students? (JRSM) said:
WHAT PREDICTS GOOD CLINICAL PERFORMANCE?

Investigators looking for early predictors of what makes a good clinician generally use reports from clinical clerkships and from the house officer or intern year. However, we should note that drop-out will mean that some unsatisfactory students will have left before the house officer year. Clinical performance is not generally predicted by pre-entry academic scores1,35,53,54,55,56,57: the one report of correlation between matriculation scores and clinical performance noted that matriculation scores included 50% contribution from school teacher assessment58. Neither age nor gender predicts clinical performance, nor does previous study of physical sciences, but there is evidence that previous study of English and humanities correlates with better clinical performance5,34,59. There are some reports of association between clinical performance and admission interviews55,56,60,61, although others reveal no correlation54,58. In a school that carefully evaluates applicants, empathy and motivation to be a doctor were found particularly important in predicting both clinical and academic success62.

WHAT FACTORS PREDICT ACADEMIC FAILURE IN MEDICINE?

The first thing that strikes anyone exploring the work on predictors in medicine is that we are obsessed with exam results: by far the largest number of papers examines predictors of passing exams. This may be justified because of the economic and personal waste of losing students who begin a medical degree but fail to complete, with loss from schools that select at entry, both in the UK and elsewhere, generally reported between 8% and 10%24,25,26,27. However, most studies assess ‘failure' in broad terms to include all students who re-take an examination, as well as those who are excluded from the course, so predictors should be treated with caution. Although virtually all students are high academic achievers at school, from the top 0.4%8 to the top 10%29, school and medical exam scores do correlate, with contribution to variability reported between 16%29 and 58%30. Some UK studies show that certain science A levels predict exam success, variously putting biology, chemistry or physics in prime place31,32,33, and research from outside the UK reports associations between performance in physical sciences and in medical exams34,35,36. Generally this association falls later in the course, with no difference to longer term success or failure37,38,39,40.
Non-academic factors also predict exam success or failure. Some researchers report that older students are more likely to fail exams36,38,41, but others have not found this42. Several US studies found higher failure rates among women and ethnic minority students, although most eventually graduate36,38,41, and one school reported that students admitted through affirmative action were as likely to graduate as those admitted by use of traditional criteria43. Proficiency in English is important for students for whom English is not their first language44,45, and in the US, reading skills of disadvantaged minority students have been shown to predict academic success46. Non-cognitive factors are stronger predictors for women and ethnic minority students than for white men in the US. For women, interview ratings and previous relevant experience were more predictive than previous exam scores47, while for ethnic minority students, locus of control and ability to self-evaluate were predictors48,49. One US study showed that different cognitive and non-cognitive factors correlate with academic success in different schools, so different cultures and teaching styles influence outcome50.
It has been argued that we cannot reduce loss further51, because some failure is inevitable and we cannot avoid a few students' wanting to change career. However, two medical schools have shown that careful selection and good support can have a positive impact. In Newcastle, New South Wales, for five years 50% of students were selected on academic marks alone but underwent a lengthy structured interview which was not used for selection. As a result, some students were admitted with very low interview scores. The remaining 50% were selected from a wider band of academic performance but scored high in interview. Analysis after ten years showed a significant correlation between low interview score and later drop-out but no correlation between academic score at entry and drop-out. Reasons for dropping out were academic failure or a variety of personal reasons, including lack of motivation for study or for medicine28. Another example of low drop-out comes from McMaster University in Ontario, which also invests heavily in selection and in addition offers ‘remediation' for students having academic difficulty. In one five-year period in a class of 100 students, only one student was excluded because of academic failure, 3 changed careers, while 8% had remedial help52.

The Royal Society of Medicine, 2002

In other words, humanities majors tend to do better in the clinical years and onward and have not been identified as above average risk for academic failure in the pre-clinical years.

Evaluating the Impact of the Humanities in Medical Education (Mount Sinai Journal of Medicine said:
MEDICAL SCHOOL AND RESIDENCY PERFORMANCE OF UNDERGRADUATE HUMANITIES MAJORS
A frequently studied concern is that students who majored in the humanities prior to medical school might be inadequately equipped to perform academically at the level of their science-focused peers. At our own institution, the Mount Sinai School of Medicine (MSSM), the Humanities and Medicine (H&M) early admissions program has for 20 years accepted humanities majors to the medical school and tracked their academic progress in comparison with their peers with traditional premedical back- grounds. These students apply to medical school as college sophomores majoring in a humanities discipline and, if accepted, complete only minimal premedical requirements and do not take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT); this provides them with maximal flexibility during their premedical years to focus on their humanities studies. To ensure adequate exposure to premedical science, these students spend a summer prior to matriculation at the medical school, studying abridged curricula in organic chemistry and physics and participating in medical ethics courses and clinical activities. In 2000, we conducted a study of the first cohort of H&M students, who matriculated at MSSM between 1991 and 1997, and compared them to 2 matched cohorts of students accepted through the standard admission process.16 We found that H&M students were more likely to have academic difficulties during the preclinical years, but by the third year, they were, as a group, indistinguishable academically from their classmates with traditional premedical backgrounds on the basis of clerkship performance. (Note: These students had not taken the MCAT nor had even a freshmen-level background in the sciences. That is, they were given a level of scientific background far less than what a humanities major pre-med would generally have.) In fact, the H&M students were overrepresented among students who earned membership in the Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Honor Society, honors in clinical clerkships, and other academic awards. These data suggest that although medical students with majors in the humanities may not succeed as well in the preclinical curriculum in comparison with peers with more extensive science backgrounds, they do excel in their clinical clerkships, where textbooks and Petri dishes give way to real patients and clinical problem solving.
Several studies have compared humanities majors to science majors in their undergraduate medical curriculum accomplishments. Zeleznik et al.17 and Herman and Veloski18 studied the medical school performance of students with science and nonscience bachelor's degrees. Data were collected for students entering over a 4- or 7-year period at the same medical school. No difference was found in yearly grade point averages, in parts I and II of the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) examinations, and in ratings in 6 required clinical clerkships between the science and non- science majors. Yens and Stimmel,19 in a study of 9 classes at 1 medical school, compared a num- ber of variables (scores on parts I and II of the USMLE examinations, course grades for all 4 years, and membership in Alpha Omega Alpha) for stu- dents with various undergraduate majors and found that nonscience majors performed as well, or some- times better, than their science major cohort. Study after study supports this finding that there is no signif- icant difference in medical school performance when science and nonscience majors are compared.20 – 23 Table 1 summarizes the findings of these studies, which in aggregate suggest that students who study the humanities in college perform at least as well in medical school and residency as their colleagues who studied sciences, and perhaps have an advantage in certain settings.
The single best predictor of academic achieve- ment in medical school and residency is previous academic performance, regardless of the discipline of study. Previous success in school most closely pre- dicts academic achievements in medical school24,25 and residency ranking,26 although this has not been as well validated for postgraduate performance.27 Students who majored in the humanities may in fact perform better as interns when rated by supervisors on criteria ranging from clinical judgment to relationships with patients and peers, studies found no difference in residency perfor- mance in comparison with science undergraduate majors.23,29
Beyond medical school, predictors of perfor- mance include scores on the National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME) Step 1 and 2 examina- tions and clinical clerkship grades; the latter have been shown to correlate closely with success in residency programs30 and are reliable predictors of intern-year knowledge and professionalism ratings,31 particularly at the extremes of performance.32 The strength of the relationship between medical school and residency performance varies by specialty; there- fore, interpreting the data across medical specialties should be performed with caution.33 In addition, humanities background and academic performance in medical school do not have a significant influ- ence on whether a student chooses a primary care field,34 – 36 although students who studied humani- ties as undergraduates may be more likely to select psychiatry as a specialty.3DOI:10.1002/MSJ

MOUNT SINAI JOURNAL OF MEDICINE 76:372–380, 2009

So there you have it. Humanities majors who make it to medical school generally perform at or above the level of their science-major peers.

As for science majors generally been of lower social aptitude, that is largely a stereotype. In fact, it would be very difficult to make any such determination without better defining sociability. It is likely that in at least ways, science majors are less sociable and probably just as likely that they are more sociable in other ways than humanities students.

Last edited:
Well, since he posted a Source by the one and only MSSM, I rest my case.

Humanities majors do have a higher likelyhood of being accepted than biology majors, according to the stats. I'll post support later when I'm not typing on my phone....

yeah.... um..... no.

proof

you have misinterpreted the data that you speak on from med schools websites. A preponderance of science majors accepted != science majors having a better chance of acceptance.

Psyc/Phil/Biochem for my triple major. Philosophy was really enjoyable and helped me improve my writing and reasoning skills (though it hasn't had much application to the MD part of our program). You'll have the rest of your life to do biology; once med school starts, you'll be hard pressed for time to pursue history...

Psyc/Phil/Biochem for my triple major. Philosophy was really enjoyable and helped me improve my writing and reasoning skills (though it hasn't had much application to the MD part of our program). You'll have the rest of your life to do biology; once med school starts, you'll be hard pressed for time to pursue history...

..wow! How did you have time for all that?? I'd love to double-major, but I just can't fit it in within four years!

English Lit major here, just like to throw my two-cents behind everyone else who pointed out that humanities/libarts is awesome and you should do it :)

Military time management skills :)

I don't mean the workload, just the actual classes themselves. At my school, you can't take more than 18 credits a semester without paying an extra few thousand in tuition. Take ten-twelve premed classes, ten-twelve classes for my major, and I don't have much left!! I envy you :)

Oh and I forgot to mention this when I posted on this thread -- I'm a hopeful English major with emphasis in Creative Writing :) I'm stoked.