Humanities Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluedevil777

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have taken/plan to take the following courses:
- introductory writing
- music in counter culture
- introductory psych
- global health ethics
- 3 semesters of italian
- philosophy of biology.

Are these enough humanities courses, or should I plan to take more?

Members don't see this ad.

Enough for what? Most schools don't require humanities, and if they do it's almost always English writing classes, for two or three semesters (which can be replaced by XYZ depending on the schools).
You have way enough as is, good sir.

Members don't see this ad :)
What for? Are these just the classes you're taking as part of your GEs?

First of all, psychology is not a humanities course, unless it's a "history of psychology" course.

Second of all, if these are GEs for your undergraduate institution, only the school itself is going to be able to answer that. All medical schools care about in regards to classes is that you have a BA or BS from an accredited school and have taken the prerequisites the medical school deemed necessary to be accepted to said institution at an accredited school.

What for? Are these just the classes you're taking as part of your GEs?

Most of these were taken to fulfill graduation requirements. Some of them were just taken out of interest (global health and music). However, I've noticed on many med school admissions pages that they vaguely describe the importance of humanities.

Hopkins's website says they require 24 hours of Humanities if you're aiming for there. That's the only school that I know of with such a comparatively heavy Humanities requirement.

Hopkins's website says they require 24 hours of Humanities if you're aiming for there. That's the only school that I know of with such a comparatively heavy Humanities requirement.

Except for USC of course