hunter hunter HUNTER!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juniper456

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
forget those overpriced fancy postbacc programs-- come to HUNTER! i, too, considered (and was accepted to) columbia, bryn mawr, bennington, etc., but ended up at hunter for financial reasons. i've completed one year and couldn't be happier. well, actually i could be happier if the administration was a bit more organized. . . but in terms of education quality it's definitely on-par with the others. especially in bio. and i know-- i went to an ivy school for undergrad.

just my two cents.

Members don't see this ad.

Juniper,

i am going through the same choice now

columbia or stony brook....

please see my posting by the name columbia or stony brook post bacc
and tell me what you think....

good luck

d

Does anyone know who teaches the biochem I course at Hunter?

Any opinions on their teaching quality?

Members don't see this ad :)
juniper456 said:
forget those overpriced fancy postbacc programs-- come to HUNTER! i, too, considered (and was accepted to) columbia, bryn mawr, bennington, etc., but ended up at hunter for financial reasons. i've completed one year and couldn't be happier. well, actually i could be happier if the administration was a bit more organized. . . but in terms of education quality it's definitely on-par with the others. especially in bio. and i know-- i went to an ivy school for undergrad.

just my two cents.

I did the post-bacc at MCV and the administration there was/is so disorganized. It sounds like it my be that way in many schools as I don't believe the post-bacc programs are necessarily a priority when they have to deal with MD and other grad programs. That's just my opinion - take it for what it's worth (probably not much).

Some great courses/teachers offered at Hunter.
General Bio with Dr Adrienne Alaie. (She's a trip.)
Organic Chem with Dr Grohman or Dr Karen Phillips
Although not generally taken by pre-meds; A&P with Dr Marie Pierra is a rermarkably comprehensive course taught by an excellent treacher.

General Bio with Dr Adrienne Alaie. (She's a trip.)

we love Dr. Alaie! :love:

the best thing to do is keep hounding people until you get what you need. for example, if the financial aid office is not crediting your loan, call them 2x per day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon, until they do. if your bill is incorrect, leave multiple messages at the bursar, OASIS, etc. until they can't stand hearing from you anymore. :laugh: extra attention is needed with anything involving the chem department. . .

I am going to Hunter as a transfer student majoring in Chem. I am taking summer classes now and I had a lot of things(getting department approval for some classes while waiting for my transcript to be evaluated, transcript evaluation, getting departments to reevaluate some classes, declaring major, financial aid,etc) to take care of before Fall semester so I could concentrate on my full course load.

Hunter College is listed as one of the colleges with the most red tape on Prnceton review but it seems to be not a big problem for me. maybe it's because i am doing everything during the summer before and after classes when the lines are short.

The secretary in the Chem Dept just started there 3 weeks ago and is very nice so be patient since she is just learning the system. But Madalina, the secretary before her was awesome.

One thing that is lame is that hunter college bookstore is not even setup yet. I would think barnes & noble would have it together!

Good luck at Hunter everyone!

bonez318ti said:
Does anyone know who teaches the biochem I course at Hunter?

Any opinions on their teaching quality?

Prof. Quigley is teaching the Bio Chem I course at Hunter this fall. I had him for Gen Chem and overall he is good, albeit a little dry (teaches from the text). Sets expectations early and sticks to them. His tests for Gen Chem were difficult, but fair. Their Chem Dept is a bit lacking, but I enjoyed his class much more than the others I have taken in that Dept. Always found he was available to discuss questions regarding material.

Also, have really enjoyed my courses at Hunter and would not have gone anywhere else for post bacc.

pumpkin628 said:
Prof. Quigley is teaching the Bio Chem I course at Hunter this fall. I had him for Gen Chem and overall he is good, albeit a little dry (teaches from the text). Sets expectations early and sticks to them. His tests for Gen Chem were difficult, but fair. Their Chem Dept is a bit lacking, but I enjoyed his class much more than the others I have taken in that Dept. Always found he was available to discuss questions regarding material.

Also, have really enjoyed my courses at Hunter and would not have gone anywhere else for post bacc.

quigley is da bomb. i had massive problems in gen chem and went to all his office hours and he never got irritated about it (at least not perceptibly). hooray for quigley!!

can someone tell me how structured hunters program is?
I need a very intensive program
Thank you

LSJST5 said:
can someone tell me how structured hunters program is?
I need a very intensive program
Thank you

In all honesty, not very. The advisor is available for guidance, but overall you are responsible for being sure you have taken the required coursework to apply to med school. There is not a lot of hand holding. That being said, you can take how ever many (or few) courses you like during a semester and no one will tell you which ones need to be taken when. Also, you are responsible for keeping on top of your premed file and being sure it is up to date and that LOR's and supplemental materials are submitted in time for them to write a committee letter on your behalf.

The science (and math) courses themselves are on par with those you would take at more prestigious universities in terms of content and expectations. You do need to work in order to get A's (esp in ochem classes). Hunters' postbaccs are a WONDERFUL group of supportive individuals. You don't see the same level of competition between students as you do in other post bacc programs. Lots of smaller study groups form for the different courses during the semester...very helpful.

Sounds great. But what about acceptance figures to med-school?
Hunter isn't known for breeding competitive pre-meds. Why would post-bac be any different?

I would be interested though if they showed >70% acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
shadowy onion said:
Sounds great. But what about acceptance figures to med-school?
Hunter isn't known for breeding competitive pre-meds. Why would post-bac be any different?

I would be interested though if they showed >70% acceptance.

i have no idea what the acceptance rate is for hunter premeds or postbaccs. however, since hunter's admissions is not competitive (anyone who wants to go can go), there is definitely a large population of students who will not realistically get into med school. yes, you have to share resources with these students and yes, the classes are large, but i've had absolutely no difficulty getting what i need out of the program. people who do well at hunter get into good schools.

Does anyone know the deal with the Hunter post-bacc linkage to Cornell and/or Downstate?
Re the acceptance rate question, there does seem to be a high self selected wash out rate in Gen Chem and Bio. I remember a couple of years ago Dr Alaie had a rebellion after her first test. People were surprised by the level of rigor and required analysis.
But many people who excell in Hunter's rigorous program go on to US medical schools.

Does she use concept MCAT type questions that was not directly discusssed in class or is it the amount of material that people were upset about? Thanks!

Lindyhopper said:
I remember a couple of years ago Dr Alaie had a rebellion after her first test. People were surprised by the level of rigor and required analysis.

Dr. Alaie's question come directly from the course materials, but they are of MCAT level difficulty. They often require a pretty high level of understanding.
I think the problem comes from people who were surprised by the difficult level. But if your goals are to learn alot, get a good grade that medical schools will respect, and be better prepared for the MCAT than Dr. A :thumbup: is the way to go.

hey i heard there's a meeting tonight for postbacc premeds. here's a copy of the email i received:

Wednesday, August 18th at 6 pm. We will meet in the Lobby of Hunter
West (on
the southwest corner of 68th and Lexington Ave. There will be an
introduction and (short) tour, followed by icebreakers and drinks at
Phoenix
Park on 67th street btwn 3rd and 2nd at around 7:30.

Incoming class - come by and learn from past post-baccs how to be
successful at
hunter.
Returning students- come by, pass on your experiences at hunter, and
make the
new
postbaccs feel welcome. :thumbup:

pumpkin628 said:

Anyone know what book is used in Prof Quigley's bio chem class?

People should also be aware that Hunter offers strong Grad courses in Bio & Biochemistry. As a Non-matri one can take them if you have a somewhat strong and moderately current Bio background. You are required to have taken the GREs even as a non- matri. I am not sure if they waiver the GREs or not. The courses are offered in the evening. They are lecture only (although research opportunities also exist.) and, therefore, never close out.
The classes are composed of PhD students, people trying to get into PhD programs or Med school, and people working in phar research looking to improve their knowledge base &/or get a masters.
The student body is an interesting and adult blend. Bottom line it is good, cheap, available science education in the heart of NYC.

I enrolled this semester at HUNTER as a undergrad non degree student to take some prereqs. I would now like to matriculate and declare a major. I am doing this because of tuition reimbursement requirements. I was wondering how I would go about doing this. How do i matriculate if I am not.

http://socrates.hunter.cuny.edu/default.htm
-Website for Bio 101&102 which is being updated.
-has current lab schedule on there that shows no lab for Friday August 27th but I'm going to call the Bio dept to confirm.recitation does meet on August 27th
-links to sites that has Biology info
-shows past scores of Fall 2004 Bio 101 students
-picture of Sam's cat I believe

Does anyone know if Hunter college has past quizzes or exams for these classes at the socrates center or elsewhere? I'm not sure what Hunter's stance is on having old exams/quzzes for review

PS The Hunter College bookstore has me pretty steamed now.

Your best bet is to go to Oasis on the 2nd Floor of Hunter North.

I wanted to do the same thing this summer. But I was told I had to apply as a transfer student and go through the full application process to Hunter College via CUNY University Application Center. Luckily I applied March 4th before the deadline and just had to wait to be accepted for the Fall semester. As soon as I was accepted for the Fall semester my tuition fees for summer was reduced to matriculated status and I was able to use part of my Spring 2005 financial to pay for Summer Session II which I could not afford.

kappachinokid said:
I enrolled this semester at HUNTER as a undergrad non degree student to take some prereqs. I would now like to matriculate and declare a major. I am doing this because of tuition reimbursement requirements. I was wondering how I would go about doing this. How do i matriculate if I am not.

yeah-- be sure to buy your books EARLY. sometimes they run out.

went to the Bio 100 lecture today and Dr Adrienne Alaie says she has 700 students in her class. she has office hours from 11am-1pm on wednesdays and I'd imagine it is very difficult to talk to her one on one more than a couple of times a semester.

What's the best way to set myself up to get a solid LOR from her besides doing well in her class?

go chat with her! she's nice :)

that's my plan but out of 700 people don't a lot of people go to her office hours? Thanks!

juniper456 said:
go chat with her! she's nice :)

While Dr. Alaie is fun and personable, she is also busy and a rigourous teacher. I might suggest that by all means see her during her office hours, but respect her by trying to understand her lectures and go with real and thoughtful questions to ask her. She is after all the Dr. Adrienne Alaie.

thanks folks!

yes-- be sure you have good, well thought-out questions for her when you go to her office hours. i would also suggest getting there about half an hour early-- there tends to be a line. however, once you get into her office she's very helpful and doesn't rush through your questions.

also, DON'T go to her to whine about low grades on exams/lab reports/practicals-- i've heard she DOES NOT respond well to this. but who would? do your reading, go to class, and you'll be fine

stoleyerscrubz said:
went to the Bio 100 lecture today and Dr Adrienne Alaie says she has 700 students in her class. she has office hours from 11am-1pm on wednesdays and I'd imagine it is very difficult to talk to her one on one more than a couple of times a semester.

What's the best way to set myself up to get a solid LOR from her besides doing well in her class?

Also, if you need a LOR you might think about taking ochem with Dr. Karen Phillips. There are less students in ochem (~150) and Dr. Phillips has remarkable memory. She will know your face/name before you even talk to her and will remember every conversation you ever have. If you think Dr. Alaie is an amazing professor (and she is), you will love Dr. Phillips. They have different styles, but both are brilliant at connecting with the students.

The opportunity to take Gen Bio with Dr. Alaie & Orgo with Dr. Phillips are basicly the reasons I like to recommend Hunter.
People also speak very highly of Orgo with Dr Grohman.
I also love the remarkably comprenensive A&P course taught by the excellent Dr. Marie Periera.
The rest is pretty much a crap shoot and the admin. is no better than what you might expect from a big city public U.
But a couple of great teachers really help the average.

hey,
i've applied to hunter as a 2nd degree ugrad for spring '05. Does anyone know when registration begins for spring semester? i know it's probably in nov/dec??
I have to make sure to get into physics II and ochem. After that I will be taking upper level science courses (i've taken all the pre-reqs), has anyone taken histology, immunology, anatomy, etc. ?

HOw do I get setup with a premed advisor?? If you want a supporting LOR from hunter for med schools do you arrange it with your advisor or is there a form to fill out? I assume, as with other schools that hunter writes a lor based on lor's from professors.

I was told the post bacc advisors aren't too helpful. Any comments/suggestions about who to talk to?

Also, random question...I read that you can't register unless they have your immunization records, where do i have to send them to? i just want to make sure that little things like this don't prevent me from getting into a course. i'm not looking forward to dealing with the financial aid office and all the red tape :rolleyes:

you send immunications to the Health Services Office. You can go there in person at hunter North room 307. There is hardly anyone in there and they usually have 2-3 workers there to help out.

Also you need to need sign a waiver for menegitis I believe. you need to acknowledge you are aware of how it is a health threat and you can get either get immunized for it or just sign an acknowledgement.

They need both your records and the menegitis form to clear holds.

http://studentservices.hunter.cuny.edu/Health/office_of_health_services.html

I had zero problems with registering,financial aid, and transferring into Hunter. I think it is help for the financial aid if you have all of your documents and you visit the office in the semester you plan to attend preferably after the first few weeks. I did this and there was hardly a line of more than 8 people, short wait, and the people there were helpful and knowledgeable.

One thing to look out for is that you stay on top of them for evaluating your transcript ASAP. Then look it over and make sure ALL of your classes transfered and if not talk to someone in the admissions office. Having your old college catalog or a printout from their website helps.

another is to look out for getting a hold placed on you when applying to classes. You may get credit for your gen chem classes but on your transcript they do not mark it as an equivalent so it is possible you will have to take your old college catalog or website printouts showing equivalency to the chem dept so that there is no academic hold.

make sure your transcript credits you for physics I as well.

I had to do this for orgo.

don't know about the rest. The web site does not show when registration will start for sping 2005 as of now. good luck.

tgc6 said:
hey,
i've applied to hunter as a 2nd degree ugrad for spring '05. Does anyone know when registration begins for spring semester? i know it's probably in nov/dec??
I have to make sure to get into physics II and ochem. After that I will be taking upper level science courses (i've taken all the pre-reqs), has anyone taken histology, immunology, anatomy, etc. ?

HOw do I get setup with a premed advisor?? If you want a supporting LOR from hunter for med schools do you arrange it with your advisor or is there a form to fill out? I assume, as with other schools that hunter writes a lor based on lor's from professors.

I was told the post bacc advisors aren't too helpful. Any comments/suggestions about who to talk to?

Also, random question...I read that you can't register unless they have your immunization records, where do i have to send them to? i just want to make sure that little things like this don't prevent me from getting into a course. i'm not looking forward to dealing with the financial aid office and all the red tape :rolleyes:

Thank you for your help.
I assume i have to go to the registrar's office and ask for a copy of my transcript to make sure that everything transferred over?
so, if i am currently taking physI and orgo I at another school, would i have to prove it to hunter before i can register? it should show up on the transcipt that i send in with the application so i should be ok right?
excuse my babble...but looks like everything will work out. i'm moving from boston back to ny in late Jan. so that's why i'm trying to make sure i can set everything up as much as I can.

stoleyerscrubz said:
you send immunications to the Health Services Office. You can go there in person at hunter North room 307. There is hardly anyone in there and they usually have 2-3 workers there to help out.

Also you need to need sign a waiver for menegitis I believe. you need to acknowledge you are aware of how it is a health threat and you can get either get immunized for it or just sign an acknowledgement.

They need both your records and the menegitis form to clear holds.

http://studentservices.hunter.cuny.edu/Health/office_of_health_services.html

I had zero problems with registering,financial aid, and transferring into Hunter. I think it is help for the financial aid if you have all of your documents and you visit the office in the semester you plan to attend preferably after the first few weeks. I did this and there was hardly a line of more than 8 people, short wait, and the people there were helpful and knowledgeable.

One thing to look out for is that you stay on top of them for evaluating your transcript ASAP. Then look it over and make sure ALL of your classes transfered and if not talk to someone in the admissions office. Having your old college catalog or a printout from their website helps.

another is to look out for getting a hold placed on you when applying to classes. You may get credit for your gen chem classes but on your transcript they do not mark it as an equivalent so it is possible you will have to take your old college catalog or website printouts showing equivalency to the chem dept so that there is no academic hold.

make sure your transcript credits you for physics I as well.

I had to do this for orgo.

don't know about the rest. The web site does not show when registration will start for sping 2005 as of now. good luck.

done at the admissions office.

i would only worry about prerequisites for classes you will take. then once in school worry about the rest if you want a degree from hunter.

if you want to take orgo II at hunter you will need to got to the chem department and ask them to allow you to register for orgo II since you are in orgo I. When classes start they go through all the students to verify the requirements have been fulfilled so make sure you go back and make sure it is on your transcript at Hunter as soon as you get a grade for it. Same for physII.

don't let people talk you out of doing this and end up getting dropped from the class. I got this info from the former chem secretary.

tgc6 said:
Thank you for your help.
I assume i have to go to the registrar's office and ask for a copy of my transcript to make sure that everything transferred over?
so, if i am currently taking physI and orgo I at another school, would i have to prove it to hunter before i can register? it should show up on the transcipt that i send in with the application so i should be ok right?
excuse my babble...but looks like everything will work out. i'm moving from boston back to ny in late Jan. so that's why i'm trying to make sure i can set everything up as much as I can.

At first I was researching the formal Post Bacc's. I actually just sent in my columbia application. However, the more I think about it, the more logical it is to fulfill an informal postbacc at Hunter. My main concern's would be quality of teaching and price. I've heard nothing but good comments regarding both.

I do have a few questions for those of you that are following this similar track at Hunter. Can you give me a coursework plan. Do you work full time while taking the courses? DO they offer summer and winter courses? I'd love to chat with any of you. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I look forward to some responses.

How much is the tuition down at hunter anyway? Is it a lot cheaper than Columbia? I'm deciding between columbia and other programs myself. Do they have on campus residence?

I am starting classes at Hunter in January 05. I will be taking Physics 110 on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday mornings and Chemistry 102 on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Just wanted to know if any one else on the board was registered for those classes and if anyone has advice for me. (have not taken any science classes since HS). Is there anything that I can do to prepare? Anything that I should know or be warned about?

Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Better to be the Hunter than the Hunted. :thumbup:

They are pretty easy classes. I mean u still have to study. I took the night class in physics with Tryon... just do the work regularly at least try to catch up weekly. tests for physics are easy and straight forward

Tatiana2020 said:
I am starting classes at Hunter in January 05. I will be

taking Physics 110 on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday mornings and Chemistry 102 on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Just wanted to know if any one else on the board was registered for those classes and if anyone has advice for me. (have not taken any science classes since HS). Is there anything that I can do to prepare? Anything that I should know or be warned about?

Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Hi Drstarr,

If you need more information regarding Hunter college,
visit www.hunter.cuny.edu and click registar.

Tuition is about $220 per credit.

Hi Tatiana2020,

I would contact Hunter Chemistry and Physic department,
you can also find out from above website regarding contact info and ask them which textbook will be used for next semester.
Textbooks run out very quickly at the Hunter college
book store and I think Hunter college bookstore has
better deal than amazon, if you buy study guide together.
Good Luck !.

Hi,
I know A&P is not required, & that people have a lot of other courses to take, but pre-meds should be aware that Hunter has a great A&P program. You regularly see threads on these boards of med students suggesting that people take anatomy as undergraduates.
The Hunter course is a year long 9 credit course; Bio 120 & 122. It is a truly excellent in depth course & excellent med school preparation. Just be aware it is significantly more difficult & time consuming than Dr. Alaies :love: Gen Bio course.

Puff and Bronte--

Thank you very much for your help. Do they usually use the same books for Physics and Chem each year? If so, I can borrow those from a friend of mine who took those classes a few semesters ago. Do you know if I can still buy books in the bookstore without a student ID? I do not have my ID yet, as the Spring semester is to be my first.

They do not check IDs at hunter unless you want to go into the library or computer labs. so go and buy a book but better deals are found on the internet as was already said. If you are going to buy/use an older edition you will have to see what your professor says about that.

You have to ask each department what book they will use for the following year but I'd imagine they would not know that until the summer as was the case for me this fall. The bookstore clerks claimed they do not know what some of the books will be until 2 weeks before the semester start. Barnes & Noble...

I spent all summer trying to get the chem dept to tell what book they would us
Tatiana2020 said:
Puff and Bronte--

Thank you very much for your help. Do they usually use the same books for Physics and Chem each year? If so, I can borrow those from a friend of mine who took those classes a few semesters ago. Do you know if I can still buy books in the bookstore without a student ID? I do not have my ID yet, as the Spring semester is to be my first.

Who teaches the A&P?

Lindyhopper said:
Hi,
I know A&P is not required, & that people have a lot of other courses to take, but pre-meds should be aware that Hunter has a great A&P program. You regularly see threads on these boards of med students suggesting that people take anatomy as undergraduates.
The Hunter course is a year long 9 credit course; Bio 120 & 122. It is a truly excellent in depth course & excellent med school preparation. Just be aware it is significantly more difficult & time consuming than Dr. Alaies :love: Gen Bio course.

Any advice as to which professors to take/not to take? I have already heard about Prof. Alaie for Bio and Dr.Phillips for Orgo but nothing about Chem and Physics. Also, do you recommend taking Calculus? I took Business Calc in Undergrad and got either a B or B- (I forget). Do you think it is possible to finish all of the med school requirements in 1 year instead of 2 (by taking 2 classes each semester in Spring 05, Summer 05, Fall 05 and Spring 06) or will it be overwhelming? Do post bacc students normally take 2 or 3 science classes per semester ( I will not be working..fully devoted to studies..and not to mention fully broke..the sacrifices we make..sigh )

Stoleyerscrubz, how are you enjoying Hunter? Any insight advice regarding questions that I have not posed?

Sorry to bombard everyone. I really appreciate all of your help and genuine responses. I have no one else that I can ask...

stoleyerscrubz said:
Who teaches the A&P?
In the Fall, Dr Maria Pereirra teaches the course. She is an excellent lecturer. (Although maybe not as entertaining as Dr. Alaie :love: ) Last spring an adjunct Dr Tom Lohman taught the course & people seemed to like him. This coming spring Dr Roger Persell is teaching it, I just don't know anything about him.
50% of your grade is the lab. It is very detailed. For just one of four lab tests, we had to be able to locate & name 90 different muscles :eek: as well as their origin, insertion, & action. So only take the course if you can devote the time.

Lindyhopper said:
In the Fall, Dr Maria Pereirra teaches the course. She is an excellent lecturer. (Although maybe not as entertaining as Dr. Alaie :love: ) Last spring an adjunct Dr Tom Lohman taught the course & people seemed to like him. This coming spring Dr Roger Persell is teaching it, I just don't know anything about him.
50% of your grade is the lab. It is very detailed. For just one of four lab tests, we had to be able to locate & name 90 different muscles :eek: as well as their origin, insertion, & action. So only take the course if you can devote the time.

What is A&P?