hunter hunter HUNTER!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
roguerules,

your reply has been most helpful and appreciated.
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

RogueRules,
Thanks for your reply to the message / background I posted. It can be tough to dig up some specifics, so your insights into the program are really helpful. I also appreciate your encouragement...medicine is a long road and the first step can be pretty daunting. Starting off so late seems like it'll put me at a disadvantage, but I think you're right about the value of some experience (in any field) and a mature approach to grades etc. Anyway, thanks again. -bpgil

Bpgil,

I don't know your age, but going by the history you posted earlier, it sounds like you are probably in your mid to late twenties at best. That is prime time for post-bacc! I was 29 when I started and three of my closest friends were 27, 31 and 33 respectively when they started postbacc. They are all now a few years older and in great med schools. I know someone as old as 48 when she started med school - granted that is definitely a bit late, but I offer it up as an example that age is becoming less and less a factor, and certainly if you are in your early thirties or younger, you have nothing to worry about at all.

Making the commitment to pursue medicine as a postbacc is always daunting and more than a tad bit scary. But, if it's the right thing for you, I promise that at soon as you start it, you'll feel so happy and relieved because you will finally be on the right path and know it. It's a great feeling - at least it was for me!

Jump in, get started and enjoy the ride.

bpgil said:
RogueRules,
Thanks for your reply to the message / background I posted. It can be tough to dig up some specifics, so your insights into the program are really helpful. I also appreciate your encouragement...medicine is a long road and the first step can be pretty daunting. Starting off so late seems like it'll put me at a disadvantage, but I think you're right about the value of some experience (in any field) and a mature approach to grades etc. Anyway, thanks again. -bpgil

Members don't see this ad :)
Full disclosure: I am in love & in lust with Dr. Alaie.
Her no recommendation policy is managable, so long was one gets a committee letter. In effect, the TA recommedation is upgraded, to part of an institutional rec.
One needs six Hunter science courses to be eligble for a commitee letter. It is also important to stay in touch/on top of the premed office.

just stumbled on this thread and noticed the discussion about hunter. If anyone is still interested, I was there as well for two years of post-bac. currently in my first couple of weeks at nycom, by choice :)....anyway, if anyone has questions about the program I also was friends with a dozen or so postbacs and knew another 10 or so through those dozen and though I know the acceptance rates aren't posted I would say that only 5 or so didn't get accepted on the past round. on more thing, biochem and cell bio are really useful, at least at nycom. and the bio department biochem is more useful than the chem department one. and of course, if you can a class with dr. brazill, do it. questions?

Does anyone know the name of the new advisor at Hunter?

metalkaren said:
Does anyone know the name of the new advisor at Hunter?

Lolita Wood-Hill from City College. She starts October 17th.

thank god krukofsky is gone. I'll never forget the day I went to see him and he told me I wouldn't be able to get into St. Mathews or St. George's, let alone nycom because my grades were so inconsistent. stupid jerk.

Hi,
Hopefully someone could help me with these questions:
I'm wondering if the Hunter post-bac program prepares you well enough to take the MCATs? I mean, does it go into depth enough so that you don't have to learn NEW material that is required to be known in order to do well on the MCATs?
Also, have any of you gotten housing at Hunter? If so, how was it?
Please let me know, thanks for any input you could give me!

juniper456 said:
forget those overpriced fancy postbacc programs-- come to HUNTER! i, too, considered (and was accepted to) columbia, bryn mawr, bennington, etc., but ended up at hunter for financial reasons. i've completed one year and couldn't be happier. well, actually i could be happier if the administration was a bit more organized. . . but in terms of education quality it's definitely on-par with the others. especially in bio. and i know-- i went to an ivy school for undergrad.

just my two cents.

Hi! Do you think it is too late to apply to Hunter for Spring semester? How is the application process? Thanks!

Lindyhopper said:
Some great courses/teachers offered at Hunter.
General Bio with Dr Adrienne Alaie. (She's a trip.)
Organic Chem with Dr Grohman or Dr Karen Phillips
Although not generally taken by pre-meds; A&P with Dr Marie Pierra is a rermarkably comprehensive course taught by an excellent treacher.

Hi! How intense would you say the science classes have been? I heard hunter had a very rigorous program!

stoleyerscrubz said:
I am going to Hunter as a transfer student majoring in Chem. I am taking summer classes now and I had a lot of things(getting department approval for some classes while waiting for my transcript to be evaluated, transcript evaluation, getting departments to reevaluate some classes, declaring major, financial aid,etc) to take care of before Fall semester so I could concentrate on my full course load.

Hunter College is listed as one of the colleges with the most red tape on Prnceton review but it seems to be not a big problem for me. maybe it's because i am doing everything during the summer before and after classes when the lines are short.

The secretary in the Chem Dept just started there 3 weeks ago and is very nice so be patient since she is just learning the system. But Madalina, the secretary before her was awesome.

One thing that is lame is that hunter college bookstore is not even setup yet. I would think barnes & noble would have it together!

Good luck at Hunter everyone!

Hi! Why do you think there is so much red tape around Hunter? I was thinking of a post bacc there but never heard of that. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to bump this up a little bit in the hopes that someone can help me out...

I was originally going to go to Columbia but decided to sign up for Hunter to save money (still have undergrad loans!). I'd like to start attending classes at Hunter in January 2006 even if not formally in the post-bacc (I'll apply while I attend classes this spring) so I was hoping someone in the program could help me out since all the offices are closed over the break.

1) Are there any suggestions for what classes I should register for in the Spring, as I won't be starting in the fall for a two part series?

2) Can I register online as a non-degree student and take the same classes as other post-baccs and premeds? Or do I have to go in person?

3) Are there placement tests I must take?

4) Is there an informal Spring Orientation I might be able to attend?

Thanks so much! In case anyone is curious I graduated in 2004 from USC and was working in entertainment, but have after having pursued other options, know that medicine is still my passion. I'd rather be undergoing the kind of stress that I do trying to save someone's life instead of picking up 6 ringing phone lines and making sure some producer got a script! :p

I already have basic bio and chem classes. Is this all that Hunter offers in terms of a post bac? I want one that will enhance my gpa and offer more advanced science classes, I think. I don't want to have to take my classes over again.

reread that. He says that it was listed as a school with lots of read tape on a website but he does not agree.

JUELS1980 said:
Hi! Why do you think there is so much red tape around Hunter? I was thinking of a post bacc there but never heard of that. Thanks!

1) Are there any suggestions for what classes I should register for in the Spring, as I won't be starting in the fall for a two part series?

Go to the postbacc yahoo site.
read this whole thread.

I browsed the Esims registration site just now:
Gen chem 1 and 2 is offered in the spring semester(and both in fall as well I think). Labs are seperate and offered as well.

I have fellow classmates that took bio 100/102 out of sequence. Not sure who to get department permission for this. Lots of peope drop bio 100/102 because some students take it to fulfill a general elective and find it too time consuming for that. The first week of class there is a lot of students put on a waiting list and all eventually get in I believe. bio 102 is pretty much full right now. bio 102 is only offered in spring and bio 101 is only offered in fall.

PHYS 110 (physics 1 for science premed majors) has a lot of open slots in the lab component and lecture component.

Ochem - don't think they'll let you take this without gen chem.

math/stat classes to help BCMP GPA if needed for allopathic schools.

2) Can I register online as a non-degree student and take the same classes as other post-baccs and premeds? Or do I have to go in person?

I did this and others as well. I think there is a 6 credit cap for nondegree students but I think students have posted on this thread that they took more than 6 credits without any problem.

3) Are there placement tests I must take?

only if you are degree seeking. You need to have official transcripts to prove you have the prereqs for your classes.

4) Is there an informal Spring Orientation I might be able to attend?

yes but it is not worth much if you are post-bacc. there may be a post-bacc orientation. good for networking and getting info on the process and inside scoop on classes, etc. at Hunter.

Note: Start going to the department offices before classes start to see if you can mak the process smoother.

Good luck! :luck:

'bout to watch a movie. forgive the mistakes.

juniper456 said:
quigley is da bomb. i had massive problems in gen chem and went to all his office hours and he never got irritated about it (at least not perceptibly). hooray for quigley!!

I am not post bac but I have had 2 classes with prof quigley. He is one of the worst Chem teachers. Are you people smoking??? Go to ratemyprofessor.com and see his reviews. He goes over pictures from the text. His course is all self taught and his exams are difficult even though it's all multiple choice. I did very well in his classes ( 2 As) but I did all the work with my text, study partner and tons of hours in the library.

lodine said:
thank god krukofsky is gone. I'll never forget the day I went to see him and he told me I wouldn't be able to get into St. Mathews or St. George's, let alone nycom because my grades were so inconsistent. stupid jerk.

I second that! Lolita Woodhill is dynamite!!

I have Quigley for biochem and all he does is look at the slides and tells you what they are about. The slides are all pictures straight from the book and if you read your text and took notes, going to his lecture is pretty much a waste. I hate going to lectures, I don't mind learning on my own, and his exams are not too difficult so I don't complain. Hoping to get an A in biochem 1 & 2.

TriniToDeBone said:
I am not post bac but I have had 2 classes with prof quigley. He is one of the worst Chem teachers. Are you people smoking??? Go to ratemyprofessor.com and see his reviews. He goes over pictures from the text. His course is all self taught and his exams are difficult even though it's all multiple choice. I did very well in his classes ( 2 As) but I did all the work with my text, study partner and tons of hours in the library.

Hi, I'm just starting my post-bacc studies at Hunter tomorrow. I'll be taking Chem 102 (Tues & Thurs evenings) and Physics 110 (Tues, Wed, Fri mornings). If anyone else reading this is taking these courses and would like a study-partner for exam review etc. please PM me.

A little about me: I'm female and a significantly older-than avg. post-bacc -around 30 yrs : ). I've been doing neursocience research for a while.

Best wishes,
NeuroResearch

does any one know what my options would be for hunter if I had a very low gpa that was not high enough to get into the medical post bach program(2.3 to get in) can I still enroll as a non degree student(might also be2.3) or can I take a few classes at brooklyn college to bring my grades up an then transfer them to hunter.

I have not taken any of the sciences yet.
My bachelors in business management will be done at the end of this semester and although I have all A's and B's this semester, I have had personal issues in the past that make it doubtfull that my gpa will even rise to 2.3. thanks

does any one know what my options would be for hunter if I had a very low gpa that was not high enough to get into the medical post bach program(2.3 to get in) can I still enroll as a non degree student(might also be2.3) or can I take a few classes at brooklyn college to bring my grades up an then transfer them to hunter.

I have not taken any of the sciences yet.
My bachelors in business management will be done at the end of this semester and although I have all A's and B's this semester, I have had personal issues in the past that make it doubtfull that my gpa will even rise to 2.3. thanks

You can definitely enroll as a non-degree student at Hunter; your GPA won't preclude you from that. However, in order to obtain a certificate from Hunter's post bac program and be eligible for certain linkage programs, you'd have to be formally in the Post bac program. I can't really speak so much as to the value/difference of being in the official post bac program at Hunter and just taking the non-degree courses, but if you do hope to end up at Hunter in whatever capacity, it doesn't seem to make much sense to start at Brooklyn and transfer over. Just one opinion, though.

thanks, I did not realize I could enroll as a non-degree student. I was under the impression I had to have a 2.3 in order to even set foot in a class room.

So once I enroll as a non-degree student and bring up my grades significantly, can I then gain acceptance into the post bacc program? Then at this point would I have to take any placement tests for classes such as math.

Im only an undergrad student (freshman), but for you guys doing post-bacc unless you get specific teachers (which is unlikely unless you check whos teaching and what not) i dont really advise people coming here. If your seriously concidering between this and somewhere else you can PM me and i can give you my 2 cents for why i think you shouldnt if your financially capable of going somewhere else.

Well I typed a whole response but for some reason it got deleted so i'll try and remember exactly what I wrote.

Shasan, if you feel that you have some info about why people should not attend Hunter, then please share with all. That others can hear and discuss your opinions, as well as provide an alternate idea.

As someone who has taken classes at 3 other colleges in my life (Undergrad, certificate classes and post-bacc), I can tell you i've never enjoyed a class/education environment as much as Hunters post-bacc community. You will spend most of your time with same students throughout your 2 years, and will become quite friendly with them.

As for the teachers, In each subject there are good teachers, there are bad teachers, and then there are Great teachers. Hunter is lucky in that it has all 3 types. Dr. Alaie is an amazing Biology teacher, she prepares like none other for the MCAT's (and she is quite easy on the eyes). Dr. Philips breaks down Orgo so that its easier to understand and you are able to think about problems and solve them without prior knowledge. Just as any other college, you have to make sure you take classes with a good professor, and its not a given that you can get in with them no matter what school you are at.

The only downfall is the administration at Hunter. Since the cost is one of the cheapest of all the CUNY's, there are quite a lot of students, and everyone has their own problems. So when you have an issue, the administration is already been agitated by everyone else (or you if you are their first student). You have to learn how to deal with each department individually. I don't think this is much different from other colleges.

Im only an undergrad student (freshman), but for you guys doing post-bacc unless you get specific teachers (which is unlikely unless you check whos teaching and what not) i dont really advise people coming here. If your seriously concidering between this and somewhere else you can PM me and i can give you my 2 cents for why i think you shouldnt if your financially capable of going somewhere else.

Well I typed a whole response but for some reason it got deleted so i'll try and remember exactly what I wrote.

Shasan, if you feel that you have some info about why people should not attend Hunter, then please share with all. That others can hear and discuss your opinions, as well as provide an alternate idea.

As someone who has taken classes at 3 other colleges in my life (Undergrad, certificate classes and post-bacc), I can tell you i've never enjoyed a class/education environment as much as Hunters post-bacc community. You will spend most of your time with same students throughout your 2 years, and will become quite friendly with them.

As for the teachers, In each subject there are good teachers, there are bad teachers, and then there are Great teachers. Hunter is lucky in that it has all 3 types. Dr. Alaie is an amazing Biology teacher, she prepares like none other for the MCAT's (and she is quite easy on the eyes). Dr. Philips breaks down Orgo so that its easier to understand and you are able to think about problems and solve them without prior knowledge. Just as any other college, you have to make sure you take classes with a good professor, and its not a given that you can get in with them no matter what school you are at.

The only downfall is the administration at Hunter. Since the cost is one of the cheapest of all the CUNY's, there are quite a lot of students, and everyone has their own problems. So when you have an issue, the administration is already been agitated by everyone else (or you if you are their first student). You have to learn how to deal with each department individually. I don't think this is much different from other colleges.

You sold me, Im going lol. I just hope I get in.

You sold me, Im going lol. I just hope I get in.

I'm sure you'll get in, but you may have to wait to apply to the certificate program until you raise your GPA slightly. But if you have any questions on when you should start and which classes or teachers to take, send me a PM

If anyone is curious to know my views then i would rather they Private message me. I will be happy to respond. The reason for not posting it publicly is simply because i do not want to offend anyone that goes there with my views nor do i want my single opinion to discourage anyone from applying here.

For the most part Snulma, what you are saying i have heard to be True. The orgo class is hard but Phillips is a good teacher. Also i have heard Alaie is good however the only problem people seem to have is that the class contains 1000+ students, and is offered every fall so for those Post Bacc's starting in spring you are out of luck.

Also beware of your physics and chemistry teachers, if you guys want recommendations for Chemistry (am currently taking it) 102, the first part (gen chem 1), feel free to ask as well.

I'm sure you'll get in, but you may have to wait to apply to the certificate program until you raise your GPA slightly. But if you have any questions on when you should start and which classes or teachers to take, send me a PM

Ok well Its 2.3 to get into the actual program, but what about to actually just register for classes?

As soon as this semesters grades come out ill be done with my bachelors and will see if its possible to get in for the next semester.

Any advice on what classes I should start out with. I have a bachelors in business managment but really screwed it up. I want to make sure I get A's so dont want to overwhelm my self while I try and work on issues and study skills.

it doesn't matter what your GPA is, you can register for classes so long as you have a bachelors and are in good standing with your undergrad institution.

My recommendations is to take Bio 1 and Gen chem 1 and lab in the fall, Bio 2 and gen chem 2 and lab in the spring, physics 1 in the summer. Physics 2 and Orgo I in the fall, then spring take orgo 2 and study for the MCATs.

it doesn't matter what your GPA is, you can register for classes so long as you have a bachelors and are in good standing with your undergrad institution.

My recommendations is to take Bio 1 and Gen chem 1 and lab in the fall, Bio 2 and gen chem 2 and lab in the spring, physics 1 in the summer. Physics 2 and Orgo I in the fall, then spring take orgo 2 and study for the MCATs.

Thank you for the answer. when you say " and lab in the fall" do you mean both the labs for bio and gen chem 1, or does one of them not need a lab?

Are all the classes that are needed for med school part of the program. I'm confused about what is needed, since I have a non science undergrad. thanks

You'll see that you don't need to register for a separate lab class for Bio 1 and 2, so it is included. The same goes for Physics 1 and 2. Gen chem and Organic chem you have to register for lab classes separately. So you will end up with 12 classes in the end, rather then 16. Yes all the classes that are required of med schools are part of the program, however, some people need more and some people need less. It can be tailored to your needs

Thank you for the answer. when you say " and lab in the fall" do you mean both the labs for bio and gen chem 1, or does one of them not need a lab?

Are all the classes that are needed for med school part of the program. I'm confused about what is needed, since I have a non science undergrad. thanks

Also about Chem Labs might I add that you can take Chem Lab 1 (103LB) in one semester and Chem Lab 2 (105LB) in another semester.

The other option is to take the combined lab (beware its 8 hours) which is called Chem Lab 106LB in 1 semester.

I would like to register for the upcoming semester if that is possible. I'm sitll waiting for some of my grades to come out, because I still have 2 finals to take before I am done with my undergrad. I will be registering as a non degree seeking student at first.

Is it hard to find some direction and advisment at hunter, I'm still confused about this all.

Directions are not hard to come by at Hunter, advisement, depends on who you are talking to.

I would like to register for the upcoming semester if that is possible. I'm sitll waiting for some of my grades to come out, because I still have 2 finals to take before I am done with my undergrad. I will be registering as a non degree seeking student at first.

Is it hard to find some direction and advisment at hunter, I'm still confused about this all.

[don't go postbacc since it is way too much money. You can enroll to seek another degree so that you will be able to get the classes you need much easier.

I know this is old, but what do you mean by this?

I have a bachelors in business management. I have a crap GPA of 2.1(plus some better grades from a CC not figured in to gpa), so I don't even know what my options are as far as registration (lacking the 2.3GPA).

I basically need all the PreReqs needed for med school and want to start out with the the basics and the right track.

Sorry I just read the preveious posts and sort of keep re asking the same questions, but I'm confused.
Another big issue for me is I basically got throught math out of the kidness of teachers. I was unmedicated for ADD in the past, I recently turned things around and held 16 credits of all A's and B's this semester.
So having my bachelors already, but lacking the med school pre reqs, I realize I have to take things such as Physics 1 and 2, but I want to avoid taking a placement test that is going to force me to go back and relearn algerbra etc.

What are my options, I also realize that a US med school is more than likely not an option, so I'm looking at SGU, ross etc.

Last edited:

I can see you already answered this question. Sorry I'm used to getting my hand held in private school and Im in a nervous mood.

I guess I need to know what I am actually "called" so when I go to register I know what to ask for. I guess I am just some one looking to register for classes who already has a bachelors. correct?

I think it says something about the cutoff being dec1

Spring 2009
Undergraduate
* Freshmen until October 1, 2008
* Transfer until October 1, 2008
* Non-degree until December 1, 2008
* Readmission (Degree & Non-degree) until December 1, 2008

*Applications received after the deadline will be considered on a space availability basis.

Do I need to show up with my official transcripts or have them mailed or does it not matter since I'm non degree seeking.

Last edited:
So I am taking Dr. Alaie and I must say she is tough! I did awful the first term and now the second term doesn't seem to be going so well either. Anyway, does anyone here know how medical schools look at the credit/no credit policy? Do they look at it as a F? Please let me know!

So I am taking Dr. Alaie and I must say she is tough! I did awful the first term and now the second term doesn't seem to be going so well either. Anyway, does anyone here know how medical schools look at the credit/no credit policy? Do they look at it as a F? Please let me know!

Being that the final isn't until Tuesday, you'll still have a chance at turning it around. Hopefully you got all the extra credit offered during the lab (especially from the Bioinformatics that was given last week). Now as long as you do well on her multiple choice final, that will double and replace your first 2 midterm grades.

Its not difficult as she only tests from her notes, so you must have taken good notes, and understand the processes, don't memorize, it won't help as much.

Good luck!

yes-- be sure you have good, well thought-out questions for her when you go to her office hours. i would also suggest getting there about half an hour early-- there tends to be a line. however, once you get into her office she's very helpful and doesn't rush through your questions.

also, DON'T go to her to whine about low grades on exams/lab reports/practicals-- i've heard she DOES NOT respond well to this. but who would? do your reading, go to class, and you'll be fine

I am currently in Dr. Alaie's Bio 100 class. We had our first test a few weeks ago... as mentioned here or somewhere else mostly everyone did horribly. I received one the higher grades on the lower end. I work very hard for everything and am not used to grades like this, so I'm guessing I am not studying properly although i spent a week studying for this exam. I am willing to do as much work as i have to as long as it pays off.
I am asking anyone that took Dr. Alaie's class and actually got above a B to please shed some light on how you did it.
Thanks a lot.

I apologize if I did something wrong, I am new to this forum and forums in general. Please don't yell at me if did or didn't do something right.

Does anyone have any information about rate of acceptance to MD schools, particular schools attended, etc.? Also, does anyone have information regarding difficulty of classes, preparedness for MCAT, etc.?

Does anyone have any information about rate of acceptance to MD schools, particular schools attended, etc.? Also, does anyone have information regarding difficulty of classes, preparedness for MCAT, etc.?

As far as my knowledge goes, they dont have an accurate rate of acceptance, and even if they do its not going to be accurate as it only takes into account students who are registered with the pre-med office. There are some students who are not registered with them, and still apply to med school. Also there are a lot of factors so its hard to tell. Same with with particular schools attended.

Use this as reference: http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/studentservices/prehealth/faq

classes depends really on professor and things like that. Overall, classes are not that difficult. Again this depends on the person, someone may be more inclined towards chemistry and not physics, and vice versa. Professors matter a lot, there are curves in almost every classes. But this is just my opinion, depends on how you are as a student.

In general, know that there are many kids in the school who are doing pre-med most of whom either end up dropping due to failing as they move along the pre-reqs or others who are probably not going to make it, as sad as it is to say. Also seems to be some post-baccs at hunter who have science degrees or have taken science classes in UG...not sure why they are doing post-bacc instead of an smp or something.

I applied to Hunter, NYU, and Columbia post bacc premed programs for Spring 2010 enrollment. I've been accepted to NYU and Columbia, and both schools had November 1st deadlines for applications.

However, I have not heard back from Hunter yet, and their applications were due a month earlier, on October 1st! I have called the advising office repeatedly, and the last time I spoke with someone there (Anna), she said she would check with her boss and call me back. Of course, she never called back.

Although NYU has been my first choice from the start, I was hoping to get into Hunter as well because it is less expensive than NYU. I wanted to explore my options before giving NYU my answer.

Well, forget that! If the Hunter advising office is not organized enough to get my acceptance/rejection letter to me in time to register for classes, then I have no faith in this program. I am absolutely horrified at Hunter's poor communication. I already feel ignored and disrespected by the advising office and I cannot imagine putting up with that for 2 years.

Other than venting, I am writing to see if anyone can give me any insight into what is going on with Hunter's advising and admissions. Has anyone else on the forum applied for Spring 2010 start? Have you heard back? Current Hunter students: is this sort of treatment typical of prehealth advising? Do you have any advice on what I can do to get an answer from these people?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can tell me what's going on!

Just wanted to share with anyone else who is waiting on admissions letters from Hunter that I spoke with Tiffany last week and she told me that the office still has not made admissions decisions yet, and that it is unlikely that there will be a Jan 2010 start date this year. If anyone else applying for Spring 2010 admission has different information, please post it.

Meanwhile, I'm going to try to get my application fee refunded. How could Hunter accept applications for a program that does not exist? What a waste of my time and money, and anxiety!

I am willing to do as much work as i have to as long as it pays off.
I am asking anyone that took Dr. Alaie's class and actually got above a B to please shed some light on how you did it.
Thanks a lot.

I'm new to this forum, but I was in Dr. Alaie's Bio 100 class this semester and ended up with an A+. If you need any advice on her class I can help. Or if you ended up figuring out a successful approach, then congratulations! I think she's an incredible teacher, but her class requires trial and error in order to crack her exams, which test at a similar knowledge level to the MCAT (look at Examkrackers practice MCAT questions for example).

Just wanted to share with anyone else who is waiting on admissions letters from Hunter that I spoke with Tiffany last week and she told me that the office still has not made admissions decisions yet, and that it is unlikely that there will be a Jan 2010 start date this year. If anyone else applying for Spring 2010 admission has different information, please post it.

Meanwhile, I'm going to try to get my application fee refunded. How could Hunter accept applications for a program that does not exist? What a waste of my time and money, and anxiety!

I am curious who Tiffany is and why she told you this, as I am a Hunter post-bacc student and know people who are starting the post-bacc program new on January 28, 2010. It took them a LONG time to be notified, but this is typical of Hunter (and CUNY beauracracy in general). If the person you spoke with is in the Admissions Office, they probably don't know what they're talking about. Any questions about admissions to the pre-health program should be directed to the pre-health office. I realize it can be frustrating, as it can take persistence to get answers from them, but other people have done it, so it's not impossible. I have had 100% positive experiences dealing with the pre-health office, though I also know people who have not, so it's kind of a crap shoot. The best thing to do is just show up to the office at a time when Mrs. Wood-Hill has walk-in hours posted on the website (she may not be there, which I know is frustrating but keep trying and you'll eventually get her), or show up at a time when you know the general office to be open and speak to someone there in person.

People at the Hunter admissions office are generally uncooperative (with the exception of a few very nice people) and may tell you the wrong information, so avoid them if you can. You get what you pay for, I guess.

The upside though, if you can get into Hunter, the faculty are for the most part excellent, classes are very good, and the student body is very supportive, so it's worth it. I know people at NYU and Columbia and have heard horror stories from them too, so realize that people can have bad experiences everywhere. At the end of the day, you are there to learn the basic pre-med requirements, and those are the same whether at a $40K a year school or a $5K a year school, so for me the choice was pretty obvious.

As long as you're very pro-active and realize that you're going to have to sometimes tell administrators how to do their jobs (but make sure and be very nice to their face about it, it will only undermine your own success if you are rude to them!), then you'll do fine.

Also i have heard Alaie is good however the only problem people seem to have is that the class contains 1000+ students, and is offered every fall so for those Post Bacc's starting in spring you are out of luck.

Dr. Alaie's class this fall started out with 630, but by the end of the semester it appeared about 1/4 to 1/3 of the students weren't showing up. In any large lecture class, it doesn't matter how many people are in the class if the teacher is a good enough lecturer, and she certainly is. You've got the book, then she goes over the material in lecture, then she transcribes what she just said on the overhead, so that's covering the material for each lecture 3 times, plus it's covered AGAIN in recitation, and there is free tutoring available from prior students who aced the class, plus she gives plenty of extra credit, plus the lab is easy. There's no reason to not do well in her class, in spite of the challenging exams. I can only speak for myself but I had zero difficulty getting personal attention from her, the TAs and tutors, in spite of the large class size. Hunter also just added a separate intro bio class for people who are just there to fill general education requirements, so that will shrink her class size in the future.

As for Chemistry at Hunter, I had never taken a college level chemistry class before, did so-so in high school Chem, and ended up with a great grade, though it took a lot of work, meeting with tutors provided by the professor, getting the study guide and doing tons of problems, etcetera. But that sounds like every pre-med Gen Chem class I've heard about at any school.

The only problem I have with Hunter so far class-wise is the Math department. With the exception of a couple excellent professors, you will pretty much have to teach yourself math.

Reactions: 1 user