Hurricane destroying Grenada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sharky

Shark
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel bad for the people in grenada and SGU.

In Grenada,
-Looting is rampant
-Hurricane broke a prison and prisoners have escaped
-90% of homes in Grenada have been damaged or destroyed
-17 people dead
-Troops on the streets to stop looting

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=6208712

Members don't see this ad.

Sharky said:
I feel bad for the people in grenada and SGU.

In Grenada,
-Looting is rampant
-Hurricane broke a prison and prisoners have escaped
-90% of homes in Grenada have been damaged or destroyed
-17 people dead
-Troops on the streets to stop looting

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=6208712

Remind us again, please, how many U.S. medical students were injured? And, feel free to include in your count the ones killed or injured both from the storm as well as the escaped prisoners.

Oh, and you may be too young to remember this...

http://www.lapdonline.org/general_information/dept_pub_program/riots.htm

Where did that occur? Weren't 54 people killed? Didn't they have to send in 2,000 National Guard troops? I guess we better notify the students at UCLA and USC that their city is prone to riots and they better not go to school there.

-Skip

SGU had to evacuate THE FREAKIN COUNRY. That says it all. UCLA students didn't even have to evacuate their classes probably.

How sad you are skip by trying to compare a riot to a hurricane. It is bordering on ludicrous.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sharky said:
SGU had to evacuate THE FREAKIN COUNRY. That says it all. UCLA students didn't even have to evacuate their classes probably.

Grenada is about 1/10th the size of Rhode Island, our (by far) smallest state.

Sharky said:
How sad you are skip by trying to compare a riot to a hurricane.

Yes, it is sad that I have to compare the numerous, almost routine acts of violence that have occurred across this country and killed numerous people in many different cities with a hurricane in a small, tropical island that has never before seen this kind of destruction in a single day.

Sharky said:
It is bordering on ludicrous.

What's ludicrous is your suggestion that people should avoid this place because of this freak act of nature, in which, the U.S. and government agencies responded appropriately and no U.S. students were hurt. Just like in 1983 when everyone survived the "Nutmeg Revolution" and were swiftly and safely evacuated with no one getting hurt.

I got news for you: The school didn't close then, and it ain't gonna close now.

-Skip

Skip, keep cool and don't feed the troll... I mean Sharky. Keep up the good spirits about the future colleagues that will be working with us in the near future! :thumbup: Feeding that kind of behavior only does the poster a favor, and that is to piss off people. There is obviously no rationale to his/her argument because you had a very valid point about the riots in L.A.... more deaths occured, looting and the whole 9 1/2 yards.

OnMyWayThere said:
Skip, keep cool and don't feed the troll... I mean Sharky.

I don't know if he's so much a troll as he is just a grossly misinformed teenager who still needs to get his facts straight. Either way, he's incapable of presenting a thoughtful, well-formed, cogent argument. That much is clear.

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
Just like in 1983 when everyone survived the "Nutmeg Revolution" and were swiftly and safely evacuated with no one getting hurt.

What kind of revisionist history is this? Nobody is safe from the Nutmeg Revolution!!!! :horns: :horns: :horns:

Nutmeg said:
What kind of revisionist history is this? Nobody is safe from the Nutmeg Revolution!!!! :horns: :horns: :horns:

:laugh: OMG, I just spit out my coffee...

Dude, that is seriously the only thing you've ever written in response to one of my posts that I've actually liked.

:laugh:

-Skip

Let's keep in mind that SGU was an untouchable and unassilable school by a shabby guy like Sharky who tries, for whatever the reason, to denounce and defame Caribbean schools. Now that a hurricane hit the island, he found something to talk about. Nevertheless, the guy is a total dingbat and is an opportunist when it comes to anything that promotes his repulsive thoughts that are anti-Caribbean schools on this forum. If anything Sharky (who I happen to believe was "Lucky", before he got banned) is on par with a looter who runs around stealing and creating havok after a disaster. Sharky sets a bad example for anyone wishing to be a doctor in any state or in any country. He is morally repugnant, and it's sad that he thinks of himself as a Saint of the Osteopathics (Who undoubtedly do not really want to be associated with such a guy) by going around debasing IMGs. The psychopathology of Sharky, I would surmise, is of one who feels his own education is inadequate, and perhaps he, himself, is inedequate for whatever the reasons.

Take it easy guys. Sharky is a girl. How did I know? Well, only girls write "extraordinaire" in their signitures. So take it easy on her dudes. Do not make the girl cry.

Leukocyte said:
Take it easy guys. Sharky is a girl. How did I know? Well, only girls write "extraordinaire" in their signitures. So take it easy on her dudes. Do not make the girl cry.

Well then, she appears to me also to most likely be a teenager as well.

Anyhoo... no excuse for his/her/its poor posting record on this forum.

-Skip

fruit fly said:
If anything Sharky (who I happen to believe was "Lucky", before he got banned)
Exactlly what I've been thinking but I did not say anything. The posters below your post mentioned Sharky is a girl and so was "Lucky"... so there you have it. :laugh: I knew Lucky wouldn't leave the hard working, Caribbean students alone. Oh well, at least we know it's isolated and it's not the general attitude as a whole. :thumbup:

Leukocyte said:
Yeah take it easy on me. Can't I state my opinion? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Sharky said:
Yeah take it easy on me. Can't I state my opinion? :(

Under how many different guises? :smuggrin:

Skip Intro said:
How old are you Ms. Sharky?
Age is just a number. I grow tired of this forum. I will leave now. Until the next time. :horns:

Sharky said:
Age is just a number. I grow tired of this forum. I will leave now. Until the next time. :horns:

Still can't answer a question...

:laugh:

Best of luck to you, Ms. Sharky. I really mean it. When you get a little older and a little wiser, I hope you come back to this forum and look at some of the silly things you've written here and feel a little embarrassed. I really do.

-Skip

Sharky said:

Peace :horns:

Yeah, I chose to attend SGU. Who wouldn't want to study on the islands.

:laugh: :thumbup:

Apollyon said:
Just as a point of fact, Ivan is only the second hurricane to hit Grenada in the past 100 years (last before this was 1948).
I don't really know if ya'll are interested in what happened in grenada during Ivan, there has been a great deal of info out there, some true, some blown way out of proportion. Yes, there was looting, it happens , many people lost everything and deperate people do desperate things. As far as I saw, most of the looting was of stores, not homes. The SGU campus is on the southern most tip and away from the stores, so as far as I know no looting occured on or near campus.
Yes we were evacuated, but it wasn't based on a safety factor, we were'nt in danger for our lives, but that there was no other way off the island, commerical flights weren't coming in because the air control tower wasn't operational.
The campus is in realtively good condition, lots of roof and window damage, but evertyhing looks structurally sound- just going to take time to repair.
More importantly the island's infrastructure took a big hit and that may take months to repair- heard electricity is on in some parts of St. George's but water is still a problem. The island wsan't prepared for a hurricane(though I would think there are few places that are prepared for a Cat 4 hurricane, look at Pensacola) and that's because we are technically below the hurricane belt. The last one to hit was in 1955, Hurricane Janet- she hit Grenada then went on to cross the carribean and make landfall in Belize, killing 500 people in her path. People on the island alive in 1955 could not remember another hurricane, so that's 2 per 100 years (wish that was the rate on the east coast- we get at least 2 per YEAR!!)
Also no students were killed or seriously injured. There were some minor cuts and scrapes and so forth, but the death toll for grenada- 43 the last I heard were mostly locals and some tourists.
The school's been great about trying to get us up and running as soon as possible. We'll be split up for this term, some of us in NC, NY,KS, and FL and then hopefully we'll all be together in Grenada next term.

Good luck on the USMLES... Looks like an arduous journey splitting up and going all over the place. It's hard enough just going to an island in the carribean for med school, but with the island of Grenada getting decimated, that should make it even harder... It looks like it is going to take a while for SGU to show itself again as what it was before the hurricane and I truly hope it can.

I heard that my school, NYCOM, might be putting up some of the SGU students for awhile...can anyone confirm this?

Cowboy DO said:
I heard that my school, NYCOM, might be putting up some of the SGU students for awhile...can anyone confirm this?

I'm rotating with some NYCOM students and they said the same thing. I've also heard this from a few SGU students so it looks like its true.

Dukes said:
I'm rotating with some NYCOM students and they said the same thing. I've also heard this from a few SGU students so it looks like its true.

Yes I can confirm this. I'm 2nd term and both 1st and 2nd terms (essentially the 1st year students) will be taking classes at NYCOM. However housing is at SUNY-Old Westbury.
If you have any suggestions for Off campus housing, it would be gratly appreciated!!