Hurricanes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldschool79

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been at SGU/Ross/AUC during a major hurricane or tropical storm? AUC's history seems filled with natural disaster events, and in the last few years Grenada had a few, just wondering if anyone can give first hand accounts of what it was like. How did it affect the school? How large was the effect on your education/academics? Your living conditions? The experience as a whole?

Members don't see this ad.

Ivan really nailed GND a few years ago and did a lot of damage that the island is still recovering from. Grenada is below the hurricane belt so it is outside the high-risk area but obviously that doesn't translate into absolute safety from hurricanes and tropical storms.

don't know about the rest of your questions.

I will graduate in a few months from SGU. Hurricane Ivan hit Grenada about 2-3 weeks after I started my 1st term at SGU. Grenada is really close to Venezuela and so hurricanes usually miss it during the hurricane season. That hurricane in September of 2004 was the 1st to hit the island in 55 years. It completely demolished the island. The saying goes that "Ivan destroyed 95% of the island, and the 5% being SGU campus the facilities". None of the students were hurt and about 4 days later all the students were evacuated (no thanks to SGU and it's big shots) through an night sleeping on the floor in Barbados or Trinidad and Tobago back to USA or Canada. We finished that semester in Long Island NY although I believe the MPH students were given the option of coming back to the island early and study there. They slowly rebuilt the island and it will probably be another 50 years until they will be hit by another hurricane.

2nd semester and on we were back on Grenada. Besides the moldy luggage that we left behind, everything was usually working and live went back to the norm of SGU (studying, studying, drinking and then maybe a little studying...) Besides losing a few weeks here and there, we did not lose any major time and I will graduate on time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm worried about that if I go to school in PR. I've always said I didn't want to live in places with natural disasters :-\...but I guess I might be in a few months.

There are natural diasters everywhere... just pick a place that's less prone to them :)

There are natural diasters everywhere... just pick a place that's less prone to them :)
no natural disasters in Philly...the only potential one's in NYC and DC are terrorists, and that's not seasonal ;)

awwwww, C'mon what are you a blue jay or something????

lol, no I'm not a big baseball guy, actually but couldn't resist the dig. I went to college in Philly and I consider it a 2nd home so no hard feelings. If I end up on the east coast for residency and/or beyond I'm hoping it'll be in Philly.