Hydrocephalus: fixed pressure valves indications

Started by Dr Vilo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dr Vilo

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been trying to look for informartion regarding fixed pressure valve indications. There are mainly low, middle and high fixed pressure valves. What are the indications for each one? I understand you need to know about the physiologyand dynamics of CSF. Please do not reply without any reference. I need scientic facts only.

Thanks
 
Is Vancouver a suitable reference style for you my liege?[1]

  1. Rigid DT. Do your own research. Neurosurgery 2015; 1(1): (accessed 14 December 2015).
 
http://www.bicakcilar.com/Upload/Pdf/Medtronic.pdf

Every patient has a csf pressure and flow rate that is ideal for them. The difficult thing is figuring out that pressure and flow before surgery, which is the major value of an adjustable pressure valve because you can try several options. My personal feeling is unless someone had an evd then the safest course of action is an adjustable valve and on the first revision you can switch to fixed pressure once you have found their ideal setting.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A pubmed search would likely do you some good.

I'm a little lazy at the moment, but in my folder for papers I'm certain I have a review of the various programmable and fixed pressure valves and their, relative, indication.