Hydrogen and the "Octet Rule"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artmed12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a question i have on atoms following the octet rule.

I know when carbon binds covalently to make methane (CH4) it is satisfying the octet rule,

BUT....

Are the hydrogens filling their octets? Kaplan says NO because H can only hold 2 electrons in its single S orbital.

This is just a wording issue really,
Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

allstardentist said:
Hydrogen is an exception to octet rule. So is Xenon. There are a few more but i cant think of the others right now

thanks for confirming,

So these are exceptions too then:

Sulfur, bc it can form SF6

Boron, because it forms BF3

etc.

Correct??

Members don't see this ad :)
artmed12 said:
This is a question i have on atoms following the octet rule.

I know when carbon binds covalently to make methane (CH4) it is satisfying the octet rule,

BUT....

Are the hydrogens filling their octets? Kaplan says NO because H can only hold 2 electrons in its single S orbital.

This is just a wording issue really,
Thanks so much

hydrogen follows the duet rule which says H can only hold 2 electrons in its single S orbital.

Notoriousjae said:
hydrogen follows the duet rule which says H can only hold 2 electrons in its single S orbital.

nice...never heard that term

UCFpremed said:
of course we cannot forget about deuterium and tritium :)

Hey guess what....

both deuterium and tritium still can only have 1 electron.

Protons = electrons

what you brought up are isotopes, which we learn in middle school are elements with differing numbers of NEUTRONS.

I know this kid. Hes busting my chops.

If you wanted to be funny you could have brought up the Hydride ion, that has an extra electron.

artmed12 said:
Hey guess what....

both deuterium and tritium still can only have 1 electron.

Protons = electrons

what you brought up are isotopes, which we learn in middle school are elements with differing numbers of NEUTRONS.

I know this kid. Hes busting my chops.

If you wanted to be funny you could have brought up the Hydride ion, that has an extra electron.

Gets me every time...back to the chalkboard.