Hydrogen Bonding Question

Started by csx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

csx

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why is the H-bond of a Hydrogen on F to a lone pair on Nitrogen the strongest?? I get the H-F part (the F pulls all of the electrons making the H very positive and therefore attracted to the Lone pair). But i dont get why that is the strongest or how to go about ranking H-bond strengths.
 
@csx

Where did you find this fact?

I thought the strongest was H-bond of Oxygen to a lone pair on nitrogen (I could very well have remembered it wrong though)?

To have a strong H-bond, you want to:
1) Have a hydrogen that is easily removed (if you have something more electronegative bonded to H, less electron density will be given to H and thus the H will be easier to remove)
2) Have a good electron pair donor (this is often associated with LESS electronegativity)
 
@csx

Where did you find this fact?

I thought the strongest was H-bond of Oxygen to a lone pair on nitrogen (I could very well have remembered it wrong though)?

To have a strong H-bond, you want to:
1) Have a hydrogen that is easily removed (if you have something more electronegative bonded to H, less electron density will be given to H and thus the H will be easier to remove)
2) Have a good electron pair donor (this is often associated with LESS electronegativity)
I found it in TBR