Hydronium Concentration Calculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulOncoDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the hydronium concentration in a gastric solution where the pH is 2.3?

A. 5x10^-2 M
B. 2x10^-2 M
C. 5x10^-3 M
D. 2x10^-3 M

Alright so I got it all the way down to [H3O+] = 10^-2.3 but my math is pretty bad from there. Could someone please explain the mathematics involved after this? Thanks a lot! The answer is C by the way.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is the hydronium concentration in a gastric solution where the pH is 2.3?

A. 5x10^-3 M
B. 2x10^-3 M
C. 5x10^-3 M
D. 2x10^-3 M

Alright so I got it all the way down to [H3O+] = 10^-2.3 but my math is pretty bad from there. Could someone please explain the mathematics involved after this? Thanks a lot! The answer is C by the way.

[H3O+] = 10^-2.3==> 10^1/2 x 10^-2.8 ==> sqrt10 x 10^-2.8 ==> 3.2 x 10^-2.8, which is equal to 5 x 10^-3.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you mind explaining how to do that math in your head? I had some trouble following your explanation. Thanks!

Laura S.

Would you mind explaining how to do that math in your head? I had some trouble following your explanation. Thanks!

Laura S.

You know the equation, pH = -log[H+]. We are given pH of 2.3

2.3 = -log[H+]
-2.3 = log [H+]
[H+] = 10^-2.3

From this we know that the hydronium ion concentration must be smaller than 10^-2 and greater than 10^-3. Only answer that fits that criteria is C.

I solved it in my head without using any math. I used the ph/Ka trick. You know the one with if the number is greater than 3. Use the search tool to find out how to solve this with the trick. I can't remember exactly what thread its in. :)

Thank you for whoever posted that because it has totally helped me out so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!