Hydronium Concentration Calculation

HopefulOncoDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2009
CA
  1. Pre-Medical
    What is the hydronium concentration in a gastric solution where the pH is 2.3?

A. 5x10^-2 M
    B. 2x10^-2 M
    C. 5x10^-3 M
    D. 2x10^-3 M

Alright so I got it all the way down to [H3O+] = 10^-2.3 but my math is pretty bad from there. Could someone please explain the mathematics involved after this? Thanks a lot! The answer is C by the way.

Last edited:

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    May 2, 2008
    1. Pre-Medical
      What is the hydronium concentration in a gastric solution where the pH is 2.3?

A. 5x10^-3 M
      B. 2x10^-3 M
      C. 5x10^-3 M
      D. 2x10^-3 M

Alright so I got it all the way down to [H3O+] = 10^-2.3 but my math is pretty bad from there. Could someone please explain the mathematics involved after this? Thanks a lot! The answer is C by the way.

[H3O+] = 10^-2.3==> 10^1/2 x 10^-2.8 ==> sqrt10 x 10^-2.8 ==> 3.2 x 10^-2.8, which is equal to 5 x 10^-3.

About the Ads

amine2086

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Feb 16, 2009
      Hola!
      1. Medical Student
        Would you mind explaining how to do that math in your head? I had some trouble following your explanation. Thanks!

Laura S.

You know the equation, pH = -log[H+]. We are given pH of 2.3

2.3 = -log[H+]
        -2.3 = log [H+]
        [H+] = 10^-2.3

From this we know that the hydronium ion concentration must be smaller than 10^-2 and greater than 10^-3. Only answer that fits that criteria is C.

fbradley99

10+ Year Member
        Jul 8, 2009
        1. Medical Student
        2. Attending Physician
          I solved it in my head without using any math. I used the ph/Ka trick. You know the one with if the number is greater than 3. Use the search tool to find out how to solve this with the trick. I can't remember exactly what thread its in. :)

Thank you for whoever posted that because it has totally helped me out so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.