El Chupacabra

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2003
Visit site
Status
Has anyone else seen the commercial with the 1st year resident out of Midwestern (AZCOM) who endorses Hydroxy-cut? I don't know much about the product, but I don't think this is the type of publicity we're looking for. Personally, I'd leave the non-FDA supplement infomercials up to the douchebags like what's his name...Tredeau (the guy who wrote the book on "What they don't want you to know"). Although...any publicity is good publicity I suppose, or not. Thoughts?

Funkdoctor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Status
mjf said:
Has anyone else seen the commercial with the 1st year resident out of Midwestern (AZCOM) who endorses Hydroxy-cut? I don't know much about the product, but I don't think this is the type of publicity we're looking for. Personally, I'd leave the non-FDA supplement infomercials up to the douchebags like what's his name...Tredeau (the guy who wrote the book on "What they don't want you to know"). Although...any publicity is good publicity I suppose, or not. Thoughts?

HydroxyCut is a bunch of bull****. It used to work back when they put ephedra in it, but since then it is garbage.

About the Ads

gotgame83

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 19, 2004
Status
Medical Student
just buy some pure ephedrine hcl, 50mg pre workout is gooood.

El Chupacabra

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2003
Visit site
Status
Megboo said:
YES!!!! I love your avatar!

ditto Megboo!

Still curious though...any thoughts on the 1st physician endorsing this bogus product being a 1st year DO resident?

hooperg

Just some guy
10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
mjf said:
ditto Megboo!

Still curious though...any thoughts on the 1st physician endorsing this bogus product being a 1st year DO resident?

It is an offense to physicians everywhere. Shame on that resident for "selling out" and sullying the DO degree, which so many have worked to honor.

Beau Geste

yah mo b there
Bronze Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2005
Between Heaven and Hell, benching like crazy
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hooperg said:
It is an offense to physicians everywhere. Shame on that resident for "selling out" and sullying the DO degree, which so many have worked to honor.
I think Hydroxycut was looking for a legit doctor to back its product, however, a first year resident endorsing something like that is really bad form in my opinion. Being in med school gives you the proper background for practice, but how many patients that have taken Hydroxycut and have been successful with it can a 1st year resident see?

If the public new he was a fresh grad, then Hydroxycut runs the risk of losing authority by using him. I still go back to my initial thought - they needed a "doctor", even though this particular doctor can't even practice medicine on his own yet! (Not finished with 1st year residency!)

Short cuts are not always best.

guppy249

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2005
Status
Coincidentally I saw this in my hotel room the night before my interview at D.O. school. I don't think that this guy should be backing this product and it says something that the company could only get an intern to endorse it!

beastmaster

15+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
I just saw that commercial ! I was so captivated by the "D.O." and the caption with the intern's school, etc that I didn't hear a single word he said. Hydroxycut is of course crap. I worked in the fitness industry for a while and the company behind this product is the laughing stock of the industry for their extravagant marketing of ineffective and overpriced products. Amazingly they've outdone themselves by finding a DO for a shameful endorsement.

DrChandy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
Status
Medical Student
mjf said:

I'm not sure how this fits into our observations, but a resident/graduate from princeton on the same advertisement was endorsing the product as well. I thought that was interesting.

potato51

10+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
DrChandy said:
I'm not sure how this fits into our observations, but a resident/graduate from princeton on the same advertisement was endorsing the product as well. I thought that was interesting.
I think you meant a Yale School of Medicine graduate. I wonder, though, if she was really an MD from that school or maybe a MPH or PhD in something medically related from the same school.

cosmicstarr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2005
Status
mjf said:
I finally saw the commercial. Unfortunately, it doesn't do much for the image of DOs. But one thing's for sure, the guy is pretty hot and that's probably a big reason for putting him into the commercial.

I'm sure he needs the money to pay back those large student loans. :laugh:

About the Ads