1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

HYDROXY Cut??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by El Chupacabra, Nov 15, 2005.

1. El Chupacabra

El Chupacabra Member
    7+ Year Member

Has anyone else seen the commercial with the 1st year resident out of Midwestern (AZCOM) who endorses Hydroxy-cut? I don't know much about the product, but I don't think this is the type of publicity we're looking for. Personally, I'd leave the non-FDA supplement infomercials up to the douchebags like what's his name...Tredeau (the guy who wrote the book on "What they don't want you to know"). Although...any publicity is good publicity I suppose, or not. Thoughts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Beau Geste

Beau Geste yah mo b there
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    YES!!!! I love your avatar!

4. Funkdoctor

Funkdoctor Member
    5+ Year Member

HydroxyCut is a bunch of bull****. It used to work back when they put ephedra in it, but since then it is garbage.

5. gotgame83

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    just buy some pure ephedrine hcl, 50mg pre workout is gooood.

6. El Chupacabra

El Chupacabra Member
    7+ Year Member

ditto Megboo!

Still curious though...any thoughts on the 1st physician endorsing this bogus product being a 1st year DO resident?

7. hooperg

hooperg Just some guy
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

It is an offense to physicians everywhere. Shame on that resident for "selling out" and sullying the DO degree, which so many have worked to honor.

8. Beau Geste

Beau Geste yah mo b there
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think Hydroxycut was looking for a legit doctor to back its product, however, a first year resident endorsing something like that is really bad form in my opinion. Being in med school gives you the proper background for practice, but how many patients that have taken Hydroxycut and have been successful with it can a 1st year resident see?

If the public new he was a fresh grad, then Hydroxycut runs the risk of losing authority by using him. I still go back to my initial thought - they needed a "doctor", even though this particular doctor can't even practice medicine on his own yet! (Not finished with 1st year residency!)

Short cuts are not always best.

9. guppy249

guppy249 Junior Member

Coincidentally I saw this in my hotel room the night before my interview at D.O. school. I don't think that this guy should be backing this product and it says something that the company could only get an intern to endorse it!

10. beastmaster

beastmaster Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I just saw that commercial ! I was so captivated by the "D.O." and the caption with the intern's school, etc that I didn't hear a single word he said. Hydroxycut is of course crap. I worked in the fitness industry for a while and the company behind this product is the laughing stock of the industry for their extravagant marketing of ineffective and overpriced products. Amazingly they've outdone themselves by finding a DO for a shameful endorsement.

11. DrChandy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student

I'm not sure how this fits into our observations, but a resident/graduate from princeton on the same advertisement was endorsing the product as well. I thought that was interesting.

12. potato51

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think you meant a Yale School of Medicine graduate. I wonder, though, if she was really an MD from that school or maybe a MPH or PhD in something medically related from the same school.

13. cosmicstarr

cosmicstarr Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I finally saw the commercial. Unfortunately, it doesn't do much for the image of DOs. But one thing's for sure, the guy is pretty hot and that's probably a big reason for putting him into the commercial.

I'm sure he needs the money to pay back those large student loans. :laugh: