Hygiene.. then dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I have a long shot of getting in d-school, would it be a possibility of getting in the hygiene program at a school, then gaining acceptance in the d-school? The hygiene students take a lot of the same classes as the dental students, so maybe if you do well in those, the dental adcoms would see you can handle dental school? Just an idea...

Members don't see this ad.

IcemanDDS said:
Since I have a long shot of getting in d-school, would it be a possibility of getting in the hygiene program at a school, then gaining acceptance in the d-school? The hygiene students take a lot of the same classes as the dental students, so maybe if you do well in those, the dental adcoms would see you can handle dental school? Just an idea...

You said in the past that your GPA is on the lower side. If you think that it is too low (below 2.9 or so) then any masters program would help your chances since you will have a new chance to get a high GPA. Of course you would need a 3.4 or higher in that program too.

But I think DH is a fabulous idea if you have to go and get a MS anyway. Not only is it a good science masters program to raise your GPA, but you will have a great career to fall back on should you not make it to dental school for whatever reason. If you take a year off in between for example, you could make 70k that you can save for school.

Well a couple of people have suggested this to me in the past, and I havnt thought seriously about it till now. The hygiene program at MCG requires only a 2.3 GPA :eek: to get in their program, and 2 LOR. I really want to go to MCG for d-school, so this may be a shoe-in if I were to do that. Any more feedback on this idea? Pros/cons?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been a dental hygienist for about 2 years and did it to give myself a better shot at dental school because I knew dental school was ultimately what I wanted to do. I interviewed at MCG, this year, but did not get accepted. So I definitely do not think it is a shoe-in. My DAT is not so great 18/16 and my GPA's are average, but I figured my hygiene would help me out. They were very impressed with my experience because I assisted for 5 years before hygiene, but obviously not enough to accept me.
I would personally contact Stephanie Perry or Dr. Hanes and ask their recommendation because they are ultimately the ones who matter. Good luck and maybe we'll see each other in class at MCG Fall 2006.

LHydeRDH said:
I have been a dental hygienist for about 2 years and did it to give myself a better shot at dental school because I knew dental school was ultimately what I wanted to do. I interviewed at MCG, this year, but did not get accepted. So I definitely do not think it is a shoe-in. My DAT is not so great 18/16 and my GPA's are average, but I figured my hygiene would help me out. They were very impressed with my experience because I assisted for 5 years before hygiene, but obviously not enough to accept me.
I would personally contact Stephanie Perry or Dr. Hanes and ask their recommendation because they are ultimately the ones who matter. Good luck and maybe we'll see each other in class at MCG Fall 2006.
Yea I've met with Stephanie Perry and talked to her about my situation. She says I should just stay in "academia" this summer and fall. Also said to go ahead and take DAT soon (which I'm planning on), and apply early this year. I had not mentioned the hygiene thing, but I may call her about it. Did you have good grades in your hygiene program? Send me a PM if you want, cause I wanna know more about it! Thanks.

I wouldn't waste my time with a hygiene degree if you ultimately want to pursue dentistry. Kick ass on the dat. We are talking mid 20s on every section and then they will have a VERY hard time turning you down. Make the DAT the only thing on your mind for the next 3-4 months day in and day out and you will perform. Don't settle for average, good or even decent scores.

Hygiene will NOT get you a lock for dental school. Trust me on this. Sure it gives you great experience and some further knowledge, but it isn't a shoe-in for anything.

onetoothleft said:
You said in the past that your GPA is on the lower side. If you think that it is too low (below 2.9 or so) then any masters program would help your chances since you will have a new chance to get a high GPA. Of course you would need a 3.4 or higher in that program too.

But I think DH is a fabulous idea if you have to go and get a MS anyway. Not only is it a good science masters program to raise your GPA, but you will have a great career to fall back on should you not make it to dental school for whatever reason. If you take a year off in between for example, you could make 70k that you can save for school.

Where can you make $70K a year as a hygienist?? Sign me up!!!!

TaliaTN said:

Around here it's supply vs. demand. It took a friend of mine a year to find a full time hygienist. I rented a room to girl that makes around $300 a day + benefits.

TaliaTN said:

Come to New York, the hygienists here make between 40-45 per hour! :thumbup:

IcemanDDS said:
Well a couple of people have suggested this to me in the past, and I havnt thought seriously about it till now. The hygiene program at MCG requires only a 2.3 GPA :eek: to get in their program, and 2 LOR. I really want to go to MCG for d-school, so this may be a shoe-in if I were to do that. Any more feedback on this idea? Pros/cons?

If you are willing to spend another couple years in school, I think you would be better served by enrolling in a Master's program. That will do much more to set you apart from other applicants than an associate's degree.

JMJRDH1 said:
Come to New York, the hygienists here make between 40-45 per hour! :thumbup:

NYC or NY state?

Most of the dentists I know, that live in NYC, are making 50-60k :eek: One of them was actually working for some dental office making $12/h. She was a practicing fully licensed dentist in Ukraine and when she came to the states, she couldn't pass the boards. I guess some of the dental offices hired her working for cash. Now, 3 years later, she's finally passed the boards and will be attending NYC for another two years.

You also have to understand that the hygiene program itself is competitive also. Although the they said you need a 2.3 GPA, thats is just the minimum, just as some dental school requires you to have a 2.5 GPA. Having above a 2.3 is not a shoe-in to a dental hygiene program. if you look at the stats for most dental hygiene matriculation class, it is very high, at least 3.5 GPA, of course they haven't take many upper level class as predental student, but as you can see, just GPA wise will not make you shine from the hygiene applicants if you are below 3.0. If I was in your shoe i wouldn't waste my time with the dental hygiene program, because from reading your posts, you sound really determined about dentistry. Like everyone mentioned before, nail the DAT. Be prepared to enroll in some type of science master program. with a good graduate GPA, and strong DAT score, to me, is more impressive than a Hygiene degree. after all, a hygiene degree is still an undegradute program.

I agree 100% with the previous post. You will be in for a suprise if you when apply to hygien school with a GPA below a 3.0. B/C the pay is so great the competition to get into hygiene school is very tough. I know plenty of students with 3.5+ that did not get in 1st try.

In regard to pay...if you are a hygienist making less that $30/hr (62k year based on 5 day work week) you need to demand a raise. Here in AZ most hygienists make around 30-35 hour in Tucson and about 40/hr in Phoenix. Some offices even have bonus programs and offer health benefits so it is possible to have a total package worth 80K working 4 days a week.