emlibrary

Removed
Nov 27, 2010
Status
I am looking to buy this book, but is it worth it? I got a 10 on a practice MCAT I took at high verbal SAT and ACT scores. Would it help me get from a 10 to around a 13?

Any anecdotes about htis book?

Also, would getting the 2005 edition of this book matter?

csheng89

5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2009
Nashville
Status
Medical Student
When I was studying for the MCAT, i definitely felt like the verbal workbook helped. Any practice u get with the verbal section should help. You cant really "study" for the verbal section, and verbal is not something u can drastically improve in a short time. If ur planning to take the mcat soon like january, do all the verbal practice that u have but focus on the physical and bio sections. Another good thing about practice is that it helps improve ur score consistency.

ModernAlchemist

Transform and Transcend
10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2008
Limbo
Status
Medical Student
I would say that it is worth it if you want to improve your score at all. Both the hyperlearning and ek 101 verbal books are the only non-AAMC verbal practice that is widely recommended. It doesn't TEACH you really, so it will only help you if you do post-game analysis after you take them. I have the 2005 version of the book and it hasn't been a problem so far. I don't think verbal has changed since then, aside from switching the the CBT format. Personally, I think it's very useful.

I am looking to buy this book, but is it worth it? I got a 10 on a practice MCAT I took at high verbal SAT and ACT scores. Would it help me get from a 10 to around a 13?

Silverfalcon

Do It
Oct 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Did you start studying MCAT yet? Apparently, if you are looking for comments on a book and ask questions on improvement of 10 to 13, that's either 1) just really bold, or 2) not thinking.

I used all EK and most of TPR VR Workbook. With latter, I went through all four exams and about half of passages. Did they help? Maybe. Were they worth the talk that everyone says here? No, definitely not. I really thought that my real MCAT was far different from TPR VR Workbook, to be honest.

OP
emlibrary

emlibrary

Removed
Nov 27, 2010
Status
Did you start studying MCAT yet? Apparently, if you are looking for comments on a book and ask questions on improvement of 10 to 13, that's either 1) just really bold, or 2) not thinking.

I used all EK and most of TPR VR Workbook. With latter, I went through all four exams and about half of passages. Did they help? Maybe. Were they worth the talk that everyone says here? No, definitely not. I really thought that my real MCAT was far different from TPR VR Workbook, to be honest.
I havent started studying yet, I was speaking based off of my first practice FL score

Perkins

7+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I think it's a good book and you can pick and choose which of it's strategies you want to use since it has a lot of them. But it's hard to say if it'll get you from a 10 to a 13. I think that depends more on practice than on what strategies you use if you're already getting a 10..

____

edit: I just realized you're asking about the workbook and not the review book (the one with the TPR strategies, etc). The workbook is only passages, so I would recommend it if you want more practice. But there are a lot of practice books out there so if it's hard to get the hyperlearning book (unless you're taking the class) you can just buy a verbal workbook from TPR or another company that isn't affiliated with the class.

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2010
Georgia
Status
Medical Student

I would never rely neither on a single score on a practice test nor on past easy tests scores(compared to MCAT). I don't think that's the right way to start. Do more practice get a feel for it and then determine if the 10 score level is real. If you want to score well on VR, you have to practice. If you determine you are already proficient, well, are you settling for a 10? or do you want to write the best test that you can? if you chose the latter then take as much practice as you can. EK 101 and TPRH are both good.