Hypnosis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

affectiveH3art

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there are many levels of practicing psychologist here (and in training), what is everyone's view of hypnosis in the clinical setting with patients?

Members don't see this ad.

my understanding is its used for relaxation and sometimes a placebo effect.

Members don't see this ad :)
The "induction" aspects do seem very similar to various relaxation-based techniques (e.g., PMR, guided imagery, deep/calm breathing). I want to say I've seen research indicating that folks who score higher on indices of dissociation report stronger effects and/or more benefit from hypnosis, but I could be wrong.

IMO, it's crap. Took a course in it for a laugh. I see a lot of bad practitioners using it, which seems to say some things about the modality in general.
You'll remember Zoe D. Katze's board certifications were all from hypnosis groups.

Reactions: 1 user
IMO, it's crap. Took a course in it for a laugh. I see a lot of bad practitioners using it, which seems to say some things about the modality in general.
You'll remember Zoe D. Katze's board certifications were all from hypnosis groups.

My take: if you remove the relaxation and placebo components (along with components related to having the patient mobilize their own motivation), I don't know that it adds anything unique (sort of like EMDR minus the exposure component). Just my opinion, though.

I have had success using it with some folks who have panic disorder and GAD. Hypnosis is often contraindicated in people with sexual/physical trauma histories. This population often has a decreased threshold for dissociation, which can make the hypnotic trance/state triggering and very distressing.

I have heard a lot about Hypnosis I hear it can help people quit smoking. And I know people who have quit smoking because of Hypnosis. It can also be used for anything else like weight loss etc.

Hypnosis as it used in smoking cessation is more about inducing a relaxation state and then teaching coping strategies to deal with urges and withdrawal symptoms. They should really change the name. Also, most of the literature that I've seen says it only works in conjunction with nicotine replacement therapy.

So it's not like that movie, "The Fourth Kind"?

(I'm joking, btw)

I can't sit specific literature at this time. The compelling evidence with panic disorder and GAD is the positive effects that clinical hypnosis have on autonomic dysregulation. More specifically, hypnosis is a beneficial adjunct to therapy to help patients decrease arousal, maintain focus, abstain from avoidance, and gain a sense of mastery over their arousal.

I can't sit specific literature at this time. The compelling evidence with panic disorder and GAD is the positive effects that clinical hypnosis have on autonomic dysregulation. More specifically, hypnosis is a beneficial adjunct to therapy to help patients decrease arousal, maintain focus, abstain from avoidance, and gain a sense of mastery over their arousal.
Just curious because we generally don't use more relaxation based strategies in Panic. We want them to experience the anxiety and learn that the feared consequence never happens and that avoidance isn't what stops the panic. Relaxation at certain points of the panic attack is kind of an avoidance theoretically. Sure we may use it well after an exposure to bring down moderate anxiety, but never as the basis of panic. I would have to imagine hypnosis as a primary intervention would not have good follow-up data whereas PCT has some of the best follow-up data I've ever seen in terms of symptom reduction.

Just curious because we generally don't use more relaxation based strategies in Panic. We want them to experience the anxiety and learn that the feared consequence never happens and that avoidance isn't what stops the panic. Relaxation at certain points of the panic attack is kind of an avoidance theoretically. Sure we may use it well after an exposure to bring down moderate anxiety, but never as the basis of panic. I would have to imagine hypnosis as a primary intervention would not have good follow-up data whereas PCT has some of the best follow-up data I've ever seen in terms of symptom reduction.
Yes, well said. Hypnosis techniques should not be applied when fear of stimuli and avoidance have not been addressed through talk therapy, exposure techniques. Panic-inducing stimuli can be gradually incorporated into a hypnosis script. Again, well said, hypnosis can become an avoidance technique if used in the incorrect stage of treatment.