Hypo- and hypernatremia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ManUtdForever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody explain to me what hyponaremia and hypernatremia can do to cell excitability? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

They don't effect cell excitability much at all. First of all, extracellular sodium is already really high compared to intracellular concentration. So changing extracellular sodium isn't going to do much to change its equillibrium potential. Also, at rest, the cell isn't very permeable to sodium, another reason why hyper and hyponatremia will not have much affect on cell excitability. I guess in theory, big changes in extracellular sodium could change the peak of the action potential. However, hypernatremia and hyponatremia are much more relevant when talking about cell volume changes. It's not a good thing when brain cells swell or shrink. This is why sodium imbalances tend to cause neurological symptoms.

Hyper/hypokalemia = cell excitability changes
Hyper/hyponatremia = cell volume changes

Also, trying to figure this stuff out on your own will be more advantageous to solidifying your understanding of the concepts in the long run. I hope my answer helps you, but definitely try working through some of these questions on your own in the future. This will be of greater benefit to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anybody explain to me what hyponaremia and hypernatremia can do to cell excitability? Thanks

water follows salt, hypernatremia= shruken cells, hyponatremia=swollen cells. Each of these can kill cells. Less to do with excitablility

Reactions: 1 user