Hypothethical Phase Change Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qw098

zyzzbrah
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hypothetical Question:

For the picture shown down below...

What if the question read:

"As the pressure applied to the sample of water at 0.01 Celsius is increased from 1.0 torr to 200 atm at constant temperature the:"

A) Vapor will become a solid then a liquid
B) Vapor will become a liquid

phase.png

The reason I ask this, is because according to my modified question up above... we would be going through the triple point, and isn't the triple point the point where all three phases can co-exist? So would the vapor become a solid, and then a liquid, or just become a liquid?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It would become soliliquigas then liquid. Don't see the point of this modified question.
You do realize a real triple point is a single point on a continuum so it can never be perfectly achieved. Why are you worried about what happens at this theoretical boundary anyway?

Are you confused by the answer to the original question? Looks like you got it right.

the slope of the solid-liquid line is negative so if you increase pressure at constant temp you will never become a solid.

the starting point is the triple point so all 3 phases occur simultaneously.

I agree that (B) would be the better answer though as they mentioned, there's the simultaneously existence of all three in what LoL called "soliliquigas." I think given the two choices, you'd go with B, but you're right that that they could throw in an answer choice that asks you to realized the theoretical triple point.