Hypothetical Ethics Interview Questions..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtn0417

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate and love these. Hate them because sometimes they are about topics of which I know nothing. Love them because there is no one right anwer.

What is your best story about such a question? Feel free to mention any advice for answering (bs'ing sometimes :eek:) Or anything else...

I had a question at a recent interview where I was told that I was a F.P. doc up in Duluth, MN and had a patient who spent $800 a month on prescription drugs. This patient decided to drive to Canada for her drugs and get the prescription filled and then drive back. It was half the cost there. I was then asked, what I would do as her doc. At first I was confused because I do not know prescription drug laws so I began by answering, "Well, if it saves the patient money and they feel the quality is the same, then there isn't much I can do." Then I asked if this was illegal because if it wasn't there really wasn't much of an ethical dilemma. She said yes and I was like, oh, hmm... Didn't know that. So I changed my answer to that she shouldn't do that and if she continued I could no longer be her doc and be affiliated with said illegal activities and that the cost of getting caught would out weigh any cost of drugs. I am not sure if that is a good answer. I feel like everytime I answer a question like this the interview(ers) look at me with a What the hell is this kid thinking face.

Members don't see this ad.

I hate and love these. Hate them because sometimes they are about topics of which I know nothing. Love them because there is no one right anwer.

What is your best story about such a question? Feel free to mention any advice for answering (bs'ing sometimes :eek:) Or anything else...

I had a question at a recent interview where I was told that I was a F.P. doc up in Duluth, MN and had a patient who spent $800 a month on prescription drugs. This patient decided to drive to Canada for her drugs and get the prescription filled and then drive back. It was half the cost there. I was then asked, what I would do as her doc. At first I was confused because I do not know prescription drug laws so I began by answering, "Well, if it saves the patient money and they feel the quality is the same, then there isn't much I can do." Then I asked if this was illegal because if it wasn't there really wasn't much of an ethical dilemma. She said yes and I was like, oh, hmm... Didn't know that. So I changed my answer to that she shouldn't do that and if she continued I could no longer be her doc and be affiliated with said illegal activities and that the cost of getting caught would out weigh any cost of drugs. I am not sure if that is a good answer. I feel like everytime I answer a question like this the interview(ers) look at me with a What the hell is this kid thinking face.

i think you saved your neck there. if it were me i would've responded with the question "is there a generic drug available?," "has this patient taken any action to help with paying for these medications?," "does the patient really need this particular medication or is there something similar which would produce the same effect without the high cost?"

i like to think outside the box...i know some people find that bothersome but these are all things i would consider in that situation.

I always liked the hypothetical "a man needs a drug but cant pay for it so he steals it...is this ethical or not?" that leads to soooo many good debates. I wouldn't want to start it here though ... things might get a bit heated.

i think you saved your neck there. if it were me i would've responded with the question "is there a generic drug available?," "has this patient taken any action to help with paying for these medications?," "does the patient really need this particular medication or is there something similar which would produce the same effect without the high cost?"

i like to think outside the box...i know some people find that bothersome but these are all things i would consider in that situation.

I always liked the hypothetical "a man needs a drug but cant pay for it so he steals it...is this ethical or not?" that leads to soooo many good debates. I wouldn't want to start it here though ... things might get a bit heated.

Let's start.

Only if he steals it from OJ Simpson's civil suit stash.

Members don't see this ad :)

Since when is it the doctor's responsibility to protect Pharma's profits? Did you say what you said becuase you really believe it or just because you thought thats what the interviewer wanted to hear? I think its a pretty poor answer. Definitely does not demonstrate the "patient first" mentality.

I really wouldn't say that I would stop becoming her doctor's... cause not every illegal activity is wrong. You have to look into the ethicality of the law and why drugs are expensive here and not in Canada. A person will do anything to survive and if you were that woman, don't tell me you won't do the same thing.

I've always been a big fan of finding a third option that lies in the gray area where no one is liable.

Stealing is wrong...but only giving your patient treatment option they cant afford is just as wrong i feel. so since neither option is acceptable a 3rd option is the only idea i would consider.

I would have probably told the patient about why such activities are illegal, explore generic options and prescription discounts. But if no such option exists, honestly I would just turn a blind eye. As long as I have told my patient that its illegal, i would rather they just not tell me how they're getting a hold of their drugs. I"m assuming they're following the prescription and not buying some random equivalent, so the care hasn't been compromised. What they're doing really isn't harming anyone other than the pockets of drug companies.

It's probably not good to flip flop on your ethics answers so easily.