Hypothetical question - please read!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

journeytomed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this question has been answered before because I've searched the forum and haven't found the answer - if it has been answered, please feel free to post the link to the thread! Thank you!

If not - if I would like to ultimately gain residency in California would it be more beneficial for me to go to an OOS MD program or a DO program in California? I'm currently debating between keeping my California residency to apply to IS MD and DO schools, but I stand a much better chance at getting into DO, or giving it up for Louisiana residency, which would give me a very good chance at LSU-NOLA and LSU-S, based on stats.

I am very torn as to what to do - my whole family is in California and I'd like to do residency here, obviously would prefer to attend medical school here too but as we all know the competitiveness of California medical schools. So I guess the question is - if I want to do residency in California, would an IS DO school be more beneficial or an OOS MD school. Obviously, I plan to work my ass off either way because I know matching in California is competitive regardless of your background and medical school.

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Any U.S. MD > any DO, with the exception of California Northstate

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this question has been answered before because I've searched the forum and haven't found the answer - if it has been answered, please feel free to post the link to the thread! Thank you!

If not - if I would like to ultimately gain residency in California would it be more beneficial for me to go to an OOS MD program or a DO program in California? I'm currently debating between keeping my California residency to apply to IS MD and DO schools, but I stand a much better chance at getting into DO, or giving it up for Louisiana residency, which would give me a very good chance at LSU-NOLA and LSU-S, based on stats.

I am very torn as to what to do - my whole family is in California and I'd like to do residency here, obviously would prefer to attend medical school here too but as we all know the competitiveness of California medical schools. So I guess the question is - if I want to do residency in California, would an IS DO school be more beneficial or an OOS MD school. Obviously, I plan to work my ass off either way because I know matching in California is competitive regardless of your background and medical school.

Thanks everyone!

Apply to both, go MD if possible. You'll have a much easier time matching into your residency of choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to both, go MD if possible. You'll have a much easier time matching into your residency of choice.

That's what I plan to do, however, Touro-CA and Western take a significant amount of in state so I 'm worried by giving up my California residency (and then not getting into Louisiana medical schools), I will have shot my chances of getting into California DO schools as well.

I'm no expert, but if you're competitive for MDs in Louisiana, you'll probably still be competitive for DOs in California out of state. I would go LA MD and do away rotations near home in California if you can swing it.