Hypothetical situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which one to choose?

• April MCAT 28-30

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • August MCAT 32-33

Votes: 44 71.0%

• Total voters

Apparition

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To apply early with April MCAT of 28-30 or to apply late with August MCAT of 32-33? GPA around 3.5, maybe a little lower. Have to make a decision. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hypothetical gpa's and mcat scores....gotta love 'em!

are you sure you can raise your MCAT five points in three months? are you doing something different the second time around? This is really hard to weigh.. I'd apply early with the April mcat then submit the aug mcat after.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by exmike
are you sure you can raise your MCAT five points in three months? are you doing something different the second time around? This is really hard to weigh.. I'd apply early with the April mcat then submit the aug mcat after.

I was planning on taking this April's MCAT. I've done some studying on my own but haven't had that much time because of school/work. I just took my first practice test (TPR diagnostic) and scored pretty low on the sciences. I think three months would give me enough time to study but I'm worried that with my gpa, my chances would be considerably lower applying so late.
Thanks for the response.

I would take an April 30 MCAT over an August 32 MCAT. That extra time is valuable and if you only apply once and to many schools, you will do well. This is of course assuming you have good ECs.

when the scores are that high...going from a potential 28 to a potential 33 just a few months later is pretty tough to do.

if you can get a 30 on the april mcat...i think id take that and apply early to a good number of schools to maximize my opportunities.

Originally posted by exmike

Words of wisdom. This is definitely the way I'd go. You don't want to risk applying late because you think you can score a lot higher by waiting a few months.
But apply early, and I mean the very first day that you can submit to AMCAS. Be finishing your personal statement and entering your grades already.

Originally posted by rgporter
But apply early, and I mean the very first day that you can submit to AMCAS.

I agree that you should apply early and then submit the August grade if you don't think you did well enough. However, what is this applying the first day possible to AMCAS? People need to calm down. For starters, if you apply two weeks after that date, your application will get read all the same. Furthermore, applications are not even trasmitted to the schools until July 15th (6 weeks after the amcas submit day).

Take your time and make sure your application is what you want it to be. Don't feel rushed to apply "the first day". Wait a week or two if you feel it's necessary.

With a strong supporting application, a 32-33 will give you a chance at some schools that a 29 won't.

It all depends on what schools you are really shooting for. If you are from a fairly easy state and want to go to one of your state schools, I'd go with the 29 in april and apply early assuming all your ec's are good. But if you are looking to go to a school ranked #10-30, I'd take the time and try to increase the score at least into the low 30's.

Originally posted by facted
I...what is this applying the first day possible to AMCAS? People need to calm down. For starters, if you apply two weeks after that date, your application will get read all the same. Furthermore, applications are not even trasmitted to the schools until July 15th (6 weeks after the amcas submit day).

Take your time and make sure your application is what you want it to be. Don't feel rushed to apply "the first day". Wait a week or two if you feel it's necessary.

It's a way to hopefully avoid the rush of applications that start about 3 weeks after AMCAS season has opened. By applying super early you won't just save an equivilent amount of time you could save months. It's equivilent to trying to drive home in 5:00 rush hour traffic or going in early so you can drive home at 3:00. If you wait, you will not be transmitted on July 15th.
As for not rushing yourself, I agree. That is why I would start working on my application now, especially the personal statement. You can submit the first day without rushing yourself, you have months to work on this stuff before that day. Don't procrastinate, this is too important. You can also send in your transcript early, trust me you don't want to wait they will lose it.

Here's an example, I have a 3.85 and 36, years of volunteer work including several years in a third world country. By all accounts a strong application. I submitted my application in July, they lost my transcripts. A month later they found them, after many phone calls and emails on my part. Then I entered the queue for processing, a month later I was finally verified, on September 10. I didn't get my first interview until the end of October. My first acceptance didn't happen until January. In the mean time I had to fly out to 7 different schools for interviews because I didn't know where I might get accepted, if I were accepted at all.
By all means wait, you've got time...but don't come crying to sdn when your 4.0 and 34+ doesn't seem to be helping you and someone with a 3.5 and 28 has 3 acceptances already.

I would take the higher MCAT over the lower anyday, BUT i would take a higher GPA over any of those!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it's <3.5, the MCAT difference won't really matter too much IMHO.