Sep 24, 2010
88
0
Status
Pharmacy Student
Suppose your second or third choice pharm school accepts you before your first choice school interviews you. If you only have enough money for one deposit, do you accept the offer given or lose your seat and hope the first choice pharm school comes through?
 

meimei29

You're as sweet as TT
10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2009
33
0
Chicago
Status
Pharmacy Student
If this is the case, then why did you apply in the first place to the other two schools? Your scenario of giving up your seat and hoping the first choice gets through I guess kind of confuses me since applying to those other schools is also an investment and requires time and money as well for the application.

Although you may only have enough money for one deposit, I would recommend doing everything you can in your power to try and save up for at least two deposits. Money is a difficult issue, for sure, and I don't know your current situation, but by the time you're applying to these schools, there has already been a lot invested into the process .. the PCAT .. the personal statements .. the applications .. the prerequisite courses ..

It'd be a shame to gamble that because of the money issue.. It's your future, and it's not something to kind of put out there and leave to "fate." Also, some schools will give you a small percentage of your deposit back. Yes, not much, but I guess it's a tiny tiny bit of comfort??
 
Jul 29, 2010
108
1
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
If this is the case, then why did you apply in the first place to the other two schools? Your scenario of giving up your seat and hoping the first choice gets through I guess kind of confuses me since applying to those other schools is also an investment and requires time and money as well for the application.

Although you may only have enough money for one deposit, I would recommend doing everything you can in your power to try and save up for at least two deposits. Money is a difficult issue, for sure, and I don't know your current situation, but by the time you're applying to these schools, there has already been a lot invested into the process .. the PCAT .. the personal statements .. the applications .. the prerequisite courses ..

It'd be a shame to gamble that because of the money issue.. It's your future, and it's not something to kind of put out there and leave to "fate." Also, some schools will give you a small percentage of your deposit back. Yes, not much, but I guess it's a tiny tiny bit of comfort??
The OP probably applied for the same reason we all apply to more than one school: a better chance of getting into pharmacy school, period.

I am in a similar boat; I have an interview at one of my other 2 choices in two weeks, and my top choice doesn't even BEGIN interviewing until December, but I won't likely get an interview until at least January. I'm currently pinching pennies to try to save up as much as I can in case I DO need to throw down a deposit to guarantee I have a seat at choice #2.
 
Jun 9, 2009
7,402
8
Status
Suppose your second or third choice pharm school accepts you before your first choice school interviews you. If you only have enough money for one deposit, do you accept the offer given or lose your seat and hope the first choice pharm school comes through?
OP, is your first choice in-state by any chance? (or would it be in your hypothetical scenario)?
 

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
7,504
12
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
 
OP
chakapow
Sep 24, 2010
88
0
Status
Pharmacy Student
@crazybob: Tuition and city location are my primary concerns. My top pick school is cheaper and located in a medium sized city. The other school is located in a smaller town w/ higher tuition.

@meimei29: Good point. You have helped me make a critical choice. I will probably go with the school that accepts me first to ensure my life's goal.
 

charfdorn

10+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2009
1,006
2
Denver, CO
Status
Pharmacy Student
@crazybob: Tuition and city location are my primary concerns. My top pick school is cheaper and located in a medium sized city. The other school is located in a smaller town w/ higher tuition.

@meimei29: Good point. You have helped me make a critical choice. I will probably go with the school that accepts me first to ensure my life's goal.
Make sure you have enough money for two deposits. If your first choice is cheaper, you will get that extra deposit back many times over.
 
Jul 29, 2010
108
1
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Just curious, OP...what schools are you debating?........hypothetically ;)
 

meimei29

You're as sweet as TT
10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2009
33
0
Chicago
Status
Pharmacy Student
The OP probably applied for the same reason we all apply to more than one school: a better chance of getting into pharmacy school, period.
True, but my point is that if someone decided to give up their seat in hopes of being accepted to choice #1, it is almost as if that person didn't apply to the other two schools, anyway, which would've been wasted application fees.

@crazybob: Tuition and city location are my primary concerns. My top pick school is cheaper and located in a medium sized city. The other school is located in a smaller town w/ higher tuition.

@meimei29: Good point. You have helped me make a critical choice. I will probably go with the school that accepts me first to ensure my life's goal.
I'm glad I was able to help your decision! :]

Your description of the two schools is kind of similar to my backup and top pick school as well. It was a $1000 deposit for the back up.. which was a super big bummer, and I only ended up getting $100 back at the end of the day.. I don't know how much the deposits are at the schools you applied for, but as charfdorn has pointed out, you will indeed be getting a better deal in the long run with your top choice school if you were able to save up for two deposits.

Also, I don't know the difference in the quality of education between the two schools, but that's also something to consider when you're making your decision. As I've said earlier, I do recognize that money may be a difficult matter, but be wary about using the "one deposit" factor as such a decision-limiter. There are bigger bills (tuition, books, etc.) and aspects (quality of education, location near hospitals [for rotation/job/shadowing experiences], etc.) to think about as well... so while it may not be the easiest thing to do, it may potentially make you happier in the long run and grander scheme of things.

That said, depending on the schools' responses, you may be able to consider "waiting" on putting down a deposit until when it's nearer to the deadline in hopes of perhaps receiving a response from another school in the meantime. Hope things work out :]