Hysterectomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smilemaker100

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If one of you had a nulliparous healthy patient in her 30s request a hysterectomy, what would you tell her?

Members don't see this ad.

Rather than "telling her" I would "ask her" as to what the reasons are... give us some of her reasons and then the speculations can begin.

Global Disrobal said:
Rather than "telling her" I would "ask her" as to what the reasons are... give us some of her reasons and then the speculations can begin.

A hysterectomy which include the ovaries and Fallopian tubes would be ideal (bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy).

Suicidal thoughts which occur once in a while when she has PMS (not 100% treatable with psychotropic meds), reduce chances of having ovarian/uterus cancer (which runs in her family) and finally, she is looking into the possibility that she may never have kids.

She is worried about the consequences such as a premature menopause. Anything else of concern?

Members don't see this ad :)
Smilemaker100 said:
finally, she is looking into the possibility that she may never have kids.

She is worried about the consequences such as a premature menopause. Anything else of concern?

Yeah, that she might want to have kids.

Premature menopause is a pretty big deal. Has she received genetic counseling and/or testing related to her family history of ovarian CA?

Wednesday said:
Yeah, that she might want to have kids.

Premature menopause is a pretty big deal. Has she received genetic counseling and/or testing related to her family history of ovarian CA?

Of course, not having kids crossed her mind but at this point she has decided that she will be devoted to her career. Actually, she hasn't had genetic counseling so I'll tell her to do so. She has been married for five years and her husband doesn't want kids anyhow.

I would also inform her of the likelihood of prolapse issues later in her life as well.