Smilemaker100

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2004
893
1
Visit site
Status
If one of you had a nulliparous healthy patient in her 30s request a hysterectomy, what would you tell her?
 

Global Disrobal

Along for the ride
Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2002
1,000
14
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Rather than "telling her" I would "ask her" as to what the reasons are... give us some of her reasons and then the speculations can begin.
 

Smilemaker100

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2004
893
1
Visit site
Status
Global Disrobal said:
Rather than "telling her" I would "ask her" as to what the reasons are... give us some of her reasons and then the speculations can begin.
A hysterectomy which include the ovaries and Fallopian tubes would be ideal (bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy).

Suicidal thoughts which occur once in a while when she has PMS (not 100% treatable with psychotropic meds), reduce chances of having ovarian/uterus cancer (which runs in her family) and finally, she is looking into the possibility that she may never have kids.

She is worried about the consequences such as a premature menopause. Anything else of concern?
 
About the Ads

Wednesday

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2001
684
9
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Smilemaker100 said:
finally, she is looking into the possibility that she may never have kids.

She is worried about the consequences such as a premature menopause. Anything else of concern?
Yeah, that she might want to have kids.

Premature menopause is a pretty big deal. Has she received genetic counseling and/or testing related to her family history of ovarian CA?
 

Smilemaker100

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2004
893
1
Visit site
Status
Wednesday said:
Yeah, that she might want to have kids.

Premature menopause is a pretty big deal. Has she received genetic counseling and/or testing related to her family history of ovarian CA?
Of course, not having kids crossed her mind but at this point she has decided that she will be devoted to her career. Actually, she hasn't had genetic counseling so I'll tell her to do so. She has been married for five years and her husband doesn't want kids anyhow.
 
About the Ads