I am a 4th yr who could not make up my mind and now have to scramble for

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AutomaTron

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
a preliminary spot in IM. My ultimate goal is to get accepted into a Neurology residency but I have been told I can fill the prelim requirement and then either match in neurology next cycle or outside the match. Any advice as to scrambling into a good program and how to decide if a program is good? How hard will it be to find a good program? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

UW always has trouble matching enough prelims since it is a tough intern year. You could probablyl scramble there. I think any university program with a neuro residency would be good since you might be able to work an elective in neurology into that year and maybe snag a spot outside of the match. Scrambling into IM should be a breeze.

This is the first year that neuro is in the NRMP match. It is not a very competetive field, and it is highly likely there will be spots in the scramble. You might be able to scramble into a neuro and prelim position both.

The trick is doing both quickly. I highly suggest having a helper in the scramble. You can work on the neuro spot, and your friend can work on a prelim spot.

If you are a US grad without any "red flags", you should do just fine in the scramble.

Did you apply to neurology and prelim programs at all? Or did you apply for something else but then decided against that specialty and thus did not list any programs on your ROL?