[Career Advice Request] MD PhD attendings- Where are you doing what now and why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nakedmolerat

Reaction score
Currently applying for post-postdoc jobs (faculty) but exploring private sector as well. Interested in hearing from attendings who are MSTP (or MDPhD combined degree programs) graduates- where you are now (academics vs. industry vs. other) and why? I am now about to graduate from an IM subspecialty fellowship with significant bench research experience- but I am no longer interested in owning/running a lab (which seems is condemned where I am, if I am MSTP then I'm expected to continue on with a traditional "R01 writing" path). But I am torn because money is important to me as well (i have a family with young kids to feed) and its attractive how much money the private industry is offering compared to academic jobs-

any advice is appreciated! thanks in advance-

Members don't see this ad.

MD-PhD and PSTP grad here. I do full time general clinical oncology and have for the past 12 years. First in a hybrid-academic setting and now in a rural critical access setting. I miss the lab from time to time, but not the grant/paper grind and definitely not the vow of poverty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
MD-PhD and PSTP grad here. I do full time general clinical oncology and have for the past 12 years. First in a hybrid-academic setting and now in a rural critical access setting. I miss the lab from time to time, but not the grant/paper grind and definitely not the vow of poverty.
thanks so much for your reply! this is helpful