I am a United States Medial Graduate and Citizen interested in doing an internship at UK or Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holylife

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a United States Medial Graduate and Citizen interested in doing an internship at UK or Ireland. I am not an EU citizen and did not do an internship in the United States. What are my chances of getting a position in the UK or Ireland? Also when when would be the earliest time that I can start? Any help would be appreciated? I realize I would need to go to the Foundation Program but they do not have a phone number that I can call.

Thank you very much for your time,

Compassionate MD

Members don't see this ad.

I am a United States Medial Graduate and Citizen interested in doing an internship at UK or Ireland. I am not an EU citizen and did not do an internship in the United States. What are my chances of getting a position in the UK or Ireland? Also when when would be the earliest time that I can start? Any help would be appreciated? I realize I would need to go to the Foundation Program but they do not have a phone number that I can call.

Compassionate MD

Not very good. In the EU, all EU med graduates (those with EU citizenship) are given priority to internship positions, followed by international students who are graduates of schools in the EU (Sources: UCD/RCSI).

Stats really don't factor in much because most seats will be filled before they even give you a glance.

Compassionate MD

At minimum you'd need to write the PLAB, which is because you studied at a non-EU medical school. Without EU citizenship you probably wouldn't be able to get into FP or Specialty training sorry, this is in the UK.

Members don't see this ad :)
At minimum you'd need to write the PLAB, which is because you studied at a non-EU medical school. Without EU citizenship you probably wouldn't be able to get into FP or Specialty training sorry, this is in the UK.

Surely a US graduate wouldn't have to do the PLAB as the language of instruction is English!?!

Compassionate MD

I'm pretty sure you aren't eligible to apply for Irish internship. From the HSE website:

All applicants to Intern posts in the Irish health service must be a graduate or final year student (of whatever nationality) of a Medical School in one of the following EEA countries: Ireland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Italy, Lithuania, United Kingdom, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Iceland or be a graduate or final year student of the RCSI Penang Medical College, Malaysia. The full eligibility criteria will be published on the HSE website

http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Leadership_Education_Development/MET/ed/interns/