I am applying anesthesia. I am required by my school to do an acting internship and will be doing it in something that is not anesthesia because there

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriousMDStudent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title sums it up. I'm paranoid about this because when we all applied ot medical school there were pre med requirements. For residency, I feel there are no rotation requirements but I guess I'm still paranoid.

Essentially will be doing an acting internship in the intensive care unit. Currently it is scheduled in September before I submit ERAS. I want to do it the March or April of my 4th year instead so that I can put a lighter rotation in September so that I have more time to do my ERAS application.

I'm just scared residency programs will be like: "Yo this person didn't do their AI yet! They didn't fulfill the requirement. We can't match them".

It's so stupid cuz I know so many people who matched and are interviewing and they their their AIs in January-April

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No need to be worried about^. I did my AI in April after I matched and tried my best to go home early everyday. With that being said ICU would be a good rotation for someone who wants to do anesthesia and you could even get letters from the rotation (just something to consider). Also ERAS is pretty light/short and shouldn't take long to fill out. Hope this helps and goodluck :)

Man i cannot imagine doing an ICU AI in march/april of MS4 no thank u

work on your ERAS before the AI, get it out of the way, give yourself an easier spring. You may not be working ERAS then but your brain will be super preoccupied with Match and maybe moving and a million other things

Members don't see this ad :)
You are not going to want to do an AI in April of M4 year. Depending on what school you go to, you could be essentially done with med school by then, on vacation. If the most-ignored advice on SDN to not spend the summer before M1 year cramming for med school, the second most-ignored advice is to not spend the end of M4 year cramming for intern year. You may not get more than 7 consecutive days off for the next several years. Make the most of it.

I did a MICU AI in March of my MS4 year because one of my IM resident friends was going to be the senior on. During match week I just didn’t show up. I come in the next Monday and the attending looks at me and says: “where the hell have you been? Walking around in a drunken haze?”
Me: “yes.”
Him: “well ok then.”

And that’s the reason why it’s a great idea to do your ICU AI post match. Good luck.

An acting internship/sub-i is traditionally done on an admitting service like IM, FM, peds, etc. That's probably why there isn't one for anesthesia....they don't admit their own patients. I agree with the above advice that MICU is probably the last thing you will want to be doing in the spring, and doing it earlier could also give you an opportunity for a nice LOR in time for residency app submission as well. The ERAS application is not that time consuming other than the personal statement and getting your letters, either of which you could start doing today if you're worried about it.

Although an AI is not required for anesthesia, I always believed an audition rotation at a program you are targeting helps. The OR is a small community and it is important for residents to be affable, fit in, and accept instruction well. This is why I have always felt auditions helped. I believe it is definitely an advantage to be a known entity, rather than an unknown with only LORs and board scores.

@cj_cregg the issue is that I was scheduled to the MICU the month before I submit ERAS. After talking to upper classmen, there was a consensus that I would very unlikely get a letter and if I did, it wouldn't be a good one because I would be asking for a letter 2-3 weeks before ERAS submission and that would make the attending very mad. My MICU grade also doesn't show up to residencies either because I would finish the rotation after I submitted ERAS.

1 surgeon and 1 anesthesiologist have already agreed to write me a letter. I have 2 anesthesia electives lined up at my home program and away program and I planed to get my final letter from one of those two electives.

With that in mind, I scheduled a chill online elective the month before ERAS but curious if you still think I should change it.

@Angus Avagadro I have an audition and home elective scheduled! Thanks!

@Tenk Thanks! I think part of me also wants thsi rotation in late M4 just so I can shake off a ton of the brain rust I prob will develop by then

@cj_cregg the issue is that I was scheduled to the MICU the month before I submit ERAS. After talking to upper classmen, there was a consensus that I would very unlikely get a letter and if I did, it wouldn't be a good one because I would be asking for a letter 2-3 weeks before ERAS submission and that would make the attending very mad. My MICU grade also doesn't show up to residencies either because I would finish the rotation after I submitted ERAS.

1 surgeon and 1 anesthesiologist have already agreed to write me a letter. I have 2 anesthesia electives lined up at my home program and away program and I planed to get my final letter from one of those two electives.

With that in mind, I scheduled a chill online elective the month before ERAS but curious if you still think I should change it.

@Angus Avagadro I have an audition and home elective scheduled! Thanks!

@Tenk Thanks! I think part of me also wants thsi rotation in late M4 just so I can shake off a ton of the brain rust I prob will develop by then
You should be fine letter wise, I just think you’re going to get to your AI at the end of M4 and desperately wish you hadn’t done that to yourself. Idk about your school but typically sub Is/AIs are more work and higher expectations than other rotations. Not all programs/attendings are nice about skipping even for things like Match Day, and I promise you will not be wanting to use your brain much during that time period

I don’t think it will hurt your match chances so much as it will hurt your soul, lol

Reactions: 1 users
You should be fine letter wise, I just think you’re going to get to your AI at the end of M4 and desperately wish you hadn’t done that to yourself. Idk about your school but typically sub Is/AIs are more work and higher expectations than other rotations. Not all programs/attendings are nice about skipping even for things like Match Day, and I promise you will not be wanting to use your brain much during that time period

I don’t think it will hurt your match chances so much as it will hurt your soul, lol
Oh welp lol. Idk where else to put it. It was either that or the month before ERAS submission. People felt that while ERAS isn't as bad as medical school applications, it would be best to optimize my chances by putting an online elective instead so I can dedicate appropriate time to my residency application preparation.

I probably will regret it to an extent but it's either I do it in september and feel stressed balancing eras applications with MICU or i do it in late 4th year and force myself to think again.

I just fear doing SubI and ERAS applications and being sleep deprived to the point I make a typo or something. I don't know. But I appreciate everyone's advice!