• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Medical I am applying to DO schools and wanted to reach out to a DO doctor to shadow...but COVID - what do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
Hello,

I was planning on shadowing a DO doctor before applying to DO schools once I returned from teaching English abroad in February...but obviously non-medical-scribe shadowing is out of the question right now. I'm not sure on how to proceed. Should I wait and see if I can shadow in June before submitting my application or am I done for?
Have you at least shadowed an MD(s)?

Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
Yes, I currently am a medical scribe.
Have you interacted with DOs during your scribing?

Only a few DO schools require a DO LOR. For the rest of us (including mine), having an MD LOR (and shadowing) won't hurt your app, but having a DO LOR and shadowing will definitely help.

About the Ads

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2013
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Are you shadowing because you want to see if DOs do things differently or are you shadowing to check off the "shadowed a DO" box? If it's the former, I can assure you there is zero difference in how DOs practice medicine compared to MDs. If you want to actually see OMM, you need to shadow a DO who specializes in OMM.

Status
Not open for further replies.