I am dying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goooooober

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, okay, so I am a little bit of a drama queen. I am not really dying but I am doing my OB/GYN rotation, which is similar to a long agonizing death, like having so many of your nose hairs pulled out that you bleed to death. Besides hating having to deal with smelly vaginas all day, seeing women deficate during birth, and getting splashed with vagina juice during the miracle of birth, I also have to deal with the greatest evil known to mankind. An evil only surpassed by Dr. Evil. Yes my fellow collegues, I am talking about OB/GYN nurses and their attitudes which, amazingly, often surpasses the shelves they sport as asses in size. Now, not all are evil, but most are, and I simply can't take it anymore. Although I show up on time, see my patients, do their paperwork, and have never refused the requests of nurses, a group of them are determined to have me failed. Why you ask? Apparently my lips have not been lost enough in the rolling waves of moo moo cake- produced fat that jiggle their scrub pants like J-E-L-L-O. This really sucks. Oh well, back to work. Feel free to comment. Peace out.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, OB/GYN sucks, especially for male medical students.......

OB/GYN nurses all seem to be a distinct breed, just have to learn how to get on their good side. May not like it, but that is the only way to survive.

Doesn't sound like you enjoy OB/GYn, but taht is why you are forced to do it in your clinical years. But learn what you can, lots of this stuff if on your boards whether you like it or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
All my opinion and interest about the opposite sex had a drastic change after I had my rotations...:oops: ...Thank God! We males don't have to go through all what my patients are going through...:eek: ..I wonder how my female colleagues might be thinking about having their own kids..:scared:.. No wonder, motherhood is celebrated worldwide.
It reminds me of an old joke. O & G doctors are the only people who try to find problems where others find their pleasure..:D

goooooober said:
Okay, okay, so I am a little bit of a drama queen. I am not really dying but I am doing my OB/GYN rotation, which is similar to a long agonizing death, like having so many of your nose hairs pulled out that you bleed to death. Besides hating having to deal with smelly vaginas all day, seeing women deficate during birth, and getting splashed with vagina juice during the miracle of birth, I also have to deal with the greatest evil known to mankind. An evil only surpassed by Dr. Evil. Yes my fellow collegues, I am talking about OB/GYN nurses and their attitudes which, amazingly, often surpasses the shelves they sport as asses in size. Now, not all are evil, but most are, and I simply can't take it anymore. Although I show up on time, see my patients, do their paperwork, and have never refused the requests of nurses, a group of them are determined to have me failed. Why you ask? Apparently my lips have not been lost enough in the rolling waves of moo moo cake- produced fat that jiggle their scrub pants like J-E-L-L-O. This really sucks. Oh well, back to work. Feel free to comment. Peace out.

You just said a lot of negative things, without any explanations.

1) Are all nurses you work with fatsos.

2) You say they are trying to make you fail, I can't see how, are they constantly undermininig you? YOu need to clarify this?

3) Did you get on their bad side, I mean people usually don't come after you unless you done something? Are you passive aggressive?

I think I would be more inclined to symphatize with you, if you were to fully explain your situation, but to me it seems like you are just venting, and exaggarating things just a tad. Feel free to defend your point if I am wrong.

tupac_don said:
3) Did you get on their bad side, I mean people usually don't come after you unless you done something? Are you passive aggressive?

i completely disagree w/ #3. i've found that in medicine (i'm only an MSIII) at least half of all people (drs, RNs, techs, social workers, janitors,...you name it) in healthcare have a huge chip on their shoulder for whatever reason and love to let others know about it. maybe they're having problems at home, maybe they hate their job, whatever the reason they need to suck it up and get the problem fixed and take care of business. it's tough especially for med students cause these people know it only takes one comment to your superior and they can screw you. it's all about the power baby.

w/ all the clashing attitudes in medicine and enormous egos it's bound to happen...maybe just more so here in the southwest.

to the OP...don't worry...OBGYN is almost over and you'll hopefully never have to rotate through it again.

tupac_don said:
You just said a lot of negative things, without any explanations.

1) Are all nurses you work with fatsos.

2) You say they are trying to make you fail, I can't see how, are they constantly undermininig you? YOu need to clarify this?

I think I would be more inclined to symphatize with you, if you were to fully explain your situation, but to me it seems like you are just venting, and exaggarating things just a tad. Feel free to defend your point if I am wrong.

Tupac I would love to give much more details, but some of the people that I work with are very familiar with this site and frequently visit it. Therefore, I cant really give too many specifics or they will know its me. You are right, I was mainly venting and no not all OB/GYN nurses or nurses in general are fatsos and even if they were, it would not really matter (just venting with a little humor). I must also disagree with number 3 though. Many many people will come after you for no good reason in today's world. Two more nights and I am done with OB/GYN forever. Peace out.

I hated my OBGYN rotation as well. I made a comment to one of my classmates that the residency program at the hospital stunk while at the same time one of the residents was lurking around the corner and heard everything. I really didn't even say anyting directly negative. I simply questioned why seven out of the eight residents at the program were American born US citizens that went to Mexico for med school. I certainly have nothing against IMGs, but that number seemed way too high for any ACGME program. The residents then proceeded to make my life hell. As much as I'm sure some of the residents wanted to fail me, at most places the residents don't have much say in you final eval. One of the attendings took me aside at the end of rotation and said something about the residents perspective of me, then laughed, and proceeded to tell me he thought I was good student. Only worry about those who are evaluating you, which should not be the nurses. If you are truly worried about your grade, talk to your attending and find out if there is really anything to be worried about. I worried much too much until I finally got my grade and it turned out fine. My Dean's Letter comments from OBGYN attendings were probably my best of all thrid year rotations.

OBGYNs in my opinion are a different breed. They do good, necessary work, of course. But I think you have be a particular type of personality to do that kind of work. I'm applying for surgery, which in my opinion, requires just about the polar opposite personality. Ironic, considering how related the two fields are in certain respects.

Plinko said:
I hated my OBGYN rotation as well. I made a comment to one of my classmates that the residency program at the hospital stunk while at the same time one of the residents was lurking around the corner and heard everything. I really didn't even say anyting directly negative. I simply questioned why seven out of the eight residents at the program were American born US citizens that went to Mexico for med school. I certainly have nothing against IMGs, but that number seemed way too high for any ACGME program. The residents then proceeded to make my life hell. As much as I'm sure some of the residents wanted to fail me, at most places the residents don't have much say in you final eval. One of the attendings took me aside at the end of rotation and said something about the residents perspective of me, then laughed, and proceeded to tell me he thought I was good student. Only worry about those who are evaluating you, which should not be the nurses. If you are truly worried about your grade, talk to your attending and find out if there is really anything to be worried about. I worried much too much until I finally got my grade and it turned out fine. My Dean's Letter comments from OBGYN attendings were probably my best of all thrid year rotations.

OBGYNs in my opinion are a different breed. They do good, necessary work, of course. But I think you have be a particular type of personality to do that kind of work. I'm applying for surgery, which in my opinion, requires just about the polar opposite personality. Ironic, considering how related the two fields are in certain respects.

it's amazing. I will probably go into surgery as well and I used to think that my Surgery rotations would be the toughest in terms of people with attitudes. Man was I wrong. As tough as most surgeons and surgical nurses and techs were, we got along perfect. There was never an attitude, only harsh critisizm for stupid mistakes, which is fair. But OB/GYN is simple hell for me. Today I came in and I was talking to the medical student from my class who was about to leave. He was informing me about the patients and how he had a busy day and had to work hard. I said, "well, that is why you are an A student". Out of nowhere this nurse that I have never ever seen or talked to says with a HUGE attitude (as though I just killed her loved one) "it doesnt matter if he is an A or D student, he works hard and that is why HE will pass this rotation". She was indicating of course that I would not. This is total utter **** and I really had to hold back from blasting the bitch in front of the 10 other people that were sitting there. I have only 5 hours left to go in my last shift. I am certain there are many great OB/GYN docs and nurses out there, but man, they are hard to find.

fat chicks need loving too.

plant one on that beautiful jiggly bottom. and make it a wet one.

goooooober said:
I am not really dying but I am doing my OB/GYN rotation, which is similar to a long agonizing death, like having so many of your nose hairs pulled out that you bleed to death. Besides hating having to deal with smelly vaginas all day, seeing women deficate during birth, and getting splashed with vagina juice during the miracle of birth, I also have to deal with the greatest evil known to mankind. An evil only surpassed by Dr. Evil.

Haha, that was really funny. :laugh: Thanks for the entertainment. I'm sure it's not that bad. So you don't like vaginas? Does that mean you are gay? (I'm a woman by the way)

goooooober said:

I am a 1st year med student who is a also an RN (and male). I found my L&D rotations in nursing school to be the most interesting and enjoyable. Most OB nurses want to share what they know (and believe me, they know way alot more than any M3-PGY2). The problem I have seen is that some students/residents don't see these wonderful people as the incredible wealth of experience that they are. While in nursing school (at the university of colorado) Iwas never looked down upon or denied access to any clincal situation. Why? I think it was because I showed and interest and respected the nurses. I beleive the same is true for med students. You need to be humble, open-minded, show an interest and most of all respect the nurses (as well as the CNAs, the PTs, the dieticians, the housekeepers etc..) Do this and you can't go wrong. Act like God's gift to medicine and you will be hated by all.

Tryin2makeit1 said:
Haha, that was really funny. :laugh: Thanks for the entertainment. I'm sure it's not that bad. So you don't like vaginas? Does that mean you are gay? (I'm a woman by the way)

Hell no. Trying2makeit1, I love vaginas. Heck, it was my holloween costume. I went as a talking vagina. My name was "Vagina Monologues". Anyways, that is besides the point. A vagina in the bedroom is a wonderful thing. On a L & D bed, a vagina is an overstretched hole with a head poping out of it. Now tell me, how is that attractive?

Dotsero said:
I am a 1st year med student who is a also an RN (and male). I found my L&D rotations in nursing school to be the most interesting and enjoyable. Most OB nurses want to share what they know (and believe me, they know way alot more than any M3-PGY2). The problem I have seen is that some students/residents don't see these wonderful people as the incredible wealth of experience that they are. While in nursing school (at the university of colorado) Iwas never looked down upon or denied access to any clincal situation. Why? I think it was because I showed and interest and respected the nurses. I beleive the same is true for med students. You need to be humble, open-minded, show an interest and most of all respect the nurses (as well as the CNAs, the PTs, the dieticians, the housekeepers etc..) Do this and you can't go wrong. Act like God's gift to medicine and you will be hated by all.

you mean your real name is Gay Focker? :laugh:

sorry, but i couldn't help myself.

goooooober said:
Hell no. Trying2makeit1, I love vaginas. Heck, it was my holloween costume. I went as a talking vagina. My name was "Vagina Monologues". Anyways, that is besides the point. A vagina in the bedroom is a wonderful thing. On a L & D bed, a vagina is an overstretched hole with a head poping out of it. Now tell me, how is that attractive?

you don't like gettin head?

:laugh: sorry I couldn't resist

Dotsero said:
I am a 1st year med student who is a also an RN (and male). I found my L&D rotations in nursing school to be the most interesting and enjoyable. Most OB nurses want to share what they know (and believe me, they know way alot more than any M3-PGY2). .

ok, I promise you that a L and D nurse does not know more than a PGY2 or evey a PGY1 for that matter. What a joke

TheCat said:
ok, I promise you that a L and D nurse does not know more than a PGY2 or evey a PGY1 for that matter. What a joke

Amen to that. But he/she is only a first year and will learn soon.

Zoom Zoom, LOL. Good one.

goooooober said:
Amen to that. But he/she is only a first year and will learn soon.

Zoom Zoom, LOL. Good one.

yeah, I agree. I just finished my Ob rotation and the nurses on our service thought they knew more than the Maternal Fetal Medicine attendings. People that have been working for decades and are experts in high risk pregnancies. Most of the nurses were super nice but there were 2 or 3 that were openly critical of the staff's management plans.

my OBGYN rotation sucked too. my attending was a pretentious self loving butthole. i wasn't allowed to do anything and everyone treated me like i was 4 years old. the nurses loved me- they thought i was so cute and adorable, they called me sweety and hon, but heaven forbid if i actually asked to do something (since no one would offer to let me, f*ck my attending). i miracurously got an A on that rotation, god knows how. i want to do pediatrics, and just recently learned that most peds residents have to do at least a month, sometimes more, of OBGYN. im reconsidering . . .

oddly enough, i thought i would like OBGYN, and i thought i would hate surgery, but im actually not minding it at all . . . just goes to show ya.

I hated ob-gyn too. I had to worm my way around to find things to do, and in the end I got great evals from people who I thought hated me and mediocre evals from people I thought loved me. I never got to work work anyone for more than a few hours at a time, and I felt most people had a tremendous ego (especially the females for some reason); that includes nurses, residents, and attendings. I'm female by the way so don't get offended; the women were definitelty bitchier and I think the field could benefit from a greater proportion of men.

I totally agree. I just finished OB (thank GOODNESS), and by far it's had the worst hours. I didn't hate the rotation itself, I thought it was interesting, and I had fun for the most part despite being turned into a scutmonkey. I thought the b1tchiness and rancor among residents and between them and the nurses was quite entertaining. On L&D, I was getting there at 5:30 am to preround, and wouldn't leave the hospital until after signout at 7 or 7:30. Not to mention I was on call q2h (because I was an idiot and took the recommendations of the department to have all the week-day call nights during L&D!), so those nights I left at like 11:30-midnight! I have surgery in January--can the hours be any worse?? Though after all that, I think I'm ready for pretty much anything!