I am feeling so bad........DAT destroyed me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

88dentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys...
I am a international dentist and I took DAT to complete the requirement for Advanced Standing D.D.S Program offered @ NYU........
I took the exam today and got this...........I was completely destroyed by DAT specially chemistry

Standard Score Percentile
Perceptual Ability 16 ( I ran out of time and left last 15 questions of pattern folding unattempted) (30.0)
Quantitative Reasoning 17 (75.6)
Reading Comprehension 22 (84.4)
Biology 18 (63.9)
General Chemistry 16 (34.5)
Organic Chemistry 12 (6.6)
Total Science 16 (35.1)
Academic Average 17 (47.1)

I studied less than 10 days and gave DAT since I had only 15 days to catch the deadline as next year the above mentioned program is not offered. first 4 days were lost here and there in collecting the study material reviews :eek:
Biology: I just read once first 100 questions of biology and their solutions from DAT destroyer.
Gen chem: Just watched CHAD's videos till intermolecular forces( i.e first 4.5 hours)
Organic chemistry: just read the nomenclature:scared::scared::scared::scared: thats y this happened...
PAT: did half of the ADA 2007 sample test PAT portion.
QR: did first 100 questions of DAT destroyer.
RC: never touched

Hello friends I am tensed a lot and specially after seeing orgo score.....
Can someone tell me that is this a toooooo bad score and do I have even a 1% chance..
Being an international dentist I never studied university level Biology and Chemistry and all the science I studied was 6-7 years ago in grade 11-12...
Guys please please give some honest opinions...
I know that this score might look too upsetting to be posted here but still I need some honest opinions to bring me out of this shock :(

Members don't see this ad.

You didn't have to take the DAT !! they changed the curriculum last month, call NYU and ask how can that affect you..Check this site
http://www.nyu.edu/dental/academicprograms/ddsap/index.html

"In reviewing the application requirements for the Advanced Placement Program for students applying for the class entering in 2013, the Admissions Committee has determined that New York University College of Dentistry will NO LONGER be requiring applicants to take the Dental Admissions Test (DAT), as long as you have a prior NDB1 numerical score."

You didn't have to take the DAT !! they changed the curriculum last month, call NYU and ask how can that affect you..Check this site
http://www.nyu.edu/dental/academicprograms/ddsap/index.html

"In reviewing the application requirements for the Advanced Placement Program for students applying for the class entering in 2013, the Admissions Committee has determined that New York University College of Dentistry will NO LONGER be requiring applicants to take the Dental Admissions Test (DAT), as long as you have a prior NDB1 numerical score."

this is for those who have a numerical NBDE part1 score....but i have nbde part1 pass status as I appeared for it in 2012:(

You need to retake it. Your o chem score is very low. The destroyer would be a good idea for u. Good luck

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
You should not compare yourself to the DAT scores of predents here. They might have a lower DAT average for international students since this is the first year they are implementing this ( and last year). I think you should apply and see what happen. If you don't get in, just retake for next cycle and do the full 4 years. Sorry :(, contact the school and ask if they have specific DAT cut off.

I agree that you should call NYU and see what they say. I think, however, that you probably have to retake the test. I know this is upsetting but you got those scores with just 10 days of studying, so imagine how well you could do if you put two months into it! I'd use Chad for BOTH chemistries next time around, and there are awesome resources out their for studying the other subjects. Search for the "la datélisse" thread to find what others have used to get their scores, and you can read my breakdown, too. :) Best of luck to you, and we're all here to help!

Ochem is the EASIEST science section on the DAT. I bet your scores will improve DRAMATICALLY if you retake. Just memorize the roadmap on destroyer and learned the other concepts in general.

Do not worry. All is not looses. You just need to retake it and do better. The way to do it is, this time just spend more time with chemistry. Make sure you understand every problem is Destroyer. Then, try to test your knowledge by solving more problems from other books. For orgo, you can use "Organic chemistry as a second language"is, or ACS examination booklet. For gen chem, you can use ACS, or Zumdahl, or McMurry. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

i am an international dentist 2....i think total science score is less........but for sure send ur score as very less candidates had give dat...thats wot i think....ochem is little bit negative factor but u never knw...i asked admission office they said aanywhere from 17 to 19 wud b gud........

Hello guys...
I am a international dentist and I took DAT to complete the requirement for Advanced Standing D.D.S Program offered @ NYU........
I took the exam today and got this...........I was completely destroyed by DAT specially chemistry

Standard Score Percentile
Perceptual Ability 16 ( I ran out of time and left last 15 questions of pattern folding unattempted) (30.0)
Quantitative Reasoning 17 (75.6)
Reading Comprehension 22 (84.4)
Biology 18 (63.9)
General Chemistry 16 (34.5)
Organic Chemistry 12 (6.6)
Total Science 16 (35.1)
Academic Average 17 (47.1)

I studied less than 10 days and gave DAT since I had only 15 days to catch the deadline as next year the above mentioned program is not offered. first 4 days were lost here and there in collecting the study material reviews :eek:
Biology: I just read once first 100 questions of biology and their solutions from DAT destroyer.
Gen chem: Just watched CHAD's videos till intermolecular forces( i.e first 4.5 hours)
Organic chemistry: just read the nomenclature:scared::scared::scared::scared: thats y this happened...
PAT: did half of the ADA 2007 sample test PAT portion.
QR: did first 100 questions of DAT destroyer.
RC: never touched

Hello friends I am tensed a lot and specially after seeing orgo score.....
Can someone tell me that is this a toooooo bad score and do I have even a 1% chance..
Being an international dentist I never studied university level Biology and Chemistry and all the science I studied was 6-7 years ago in grade 11-12...
Guys please please give some honest opinions...
I know that this score might look too upsetting to be posted here but still I need some honest opinions to bring me out of this shock :(
88dentist,
If NYU is the only school you have applied to, you might have to add some more schools to your list. NYU is one of the most competitive schools for US students to get into let alone foreign students. Although those scores might work with some of the other schools, it probably isn't competitive enough for NYU.