Good DAT but bad RC score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I recetly took the DAT and here are my scores.

23 PAT
22 QR
17 RC
21 Bio
22 Gen Chem
21 Orgo
21 Total Science
21 Academic Average

I'm very concerned about RC bc I was scoring 19-22 on Bootcamp and I got the worst cramp (probably dehydrated) during this section and a panic attack. Will one low subsection score negatively impact my chances? I have a 3.7oGPA and a 3.56sGPA for some background. Good Extracurricular, volunteering and decent shadowing hrs.

Not sure if I should retake or explain myself on the application as to why I got such a low score. Do most schools care that much about RC or is it mainly TS scores? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

23 PAT
22 QR
17 RC
21 Bio
22 Gen Chem
21 Orgo
21 Total Science
21 Academic Average

I'm very concerned about RC bc I was scoring 19-22 on Bootcamp and I got the worst cramp (probably dehydrated) during this section and a panic attack. Will one low subsection score negatively impact my chances? I have a 3.7oGPA and a 3.56sGPA for some background. Good Extracurricular, volunteering and decent shadowing hrs.

Not sure if I should retake or explain myself on the application as to why I got such a low score. Do most schools care that much about RC or is it mainly TS scores? Thanks!
First I want to say congratulations on your scores and good GPA's. 17 in reading should be ok at most schools, I would not retake unless a school that you want to attend will not take that score I have worked with many students through the years that have had been accepted with very similiar stats and even 16 in reading.

Do your homework and reach out to the schools.

Wishing you the best...Nancy, co/owner, DAT Destroyer

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You should be fine, your scores are very well balanced. Wouldn't recommend a retake and you don't need to explain yourself on the app - just in interviews, IF anyone ever asks. Apply early and make sure your school list is reasonable. Good luck!

23 PAT
22 QR
17 RC
21 Bio
22 Gen Chem
21 Orgo
21 Total Science
21 Academic Average

It's weird when I see someone ask if a score is important or not. If they are testing for it it is important, period. I had one school tell me that RC is extremely important as you do a lot of reading in dental school and if you can't keep up with the amount of material you will not do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.