I am grade 9 and going to become a doctor. What should i start working on?

CrazyNattie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in grade 9 right now and I am starting to think about my doctor career. Of course i am planning on talking to my counselor about it, but what courses should i concentrate on? What marks do usually colleges and medical schools require? Are my marks in high school THAT important? I have 93% in math (i got 95% in the final exam) and i have 95% in science (i got 96% in the final exam) but my parents are dissapointed and they think i have to score 100% in order to get into medical school or college. Help please! Give me as much information as u can on courses, grades, steps, and volunteering,required to become a doctor! Thank you! :)

P.S. maybe you know any useful websites on colleges or medical schools in canada and their requirments? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Your grades and coursework from high school will play no real role in getting into med school. Just make sure you do well enough to get into college. The college you go to isn't even very important, as long as you do well. I went to a no-name university, did very well, and was accepted to several top-tier medical schools. You can major in anything you want in college, as long as you take certain pre-reqs for med school. The only volunteer work that will be seriously considered by med schools will be work done during college, unless it's volunteer work you continued from HS into your college years. For now, I suggest you just relax, enjoy your high school years, take classes you enjoy, do any volunteer work you enjoy, and avoid all those nasty upperclassmen on Freshmen Friday.

I am in grade 9 right now and I am starting to think about my doctor career. Of course i am planning on talking to my counselor about it, but what courses should i concentrate on? What marks do usually colleges and medical schools require? Are my marks in high school THAT important? I have 93% in math (i got 95% in the final exam) and i have 95% in science (i got 96% in the final exam) but my parents are dissapointed and they think i have to score 100% in order to get into medical school or college. Help please! Give me as much information as u can on courses, grades, steps, and volunteering,required to become a doctor! Thank you! :)

P.S. maybe you know any useful websites on colleges or medical schools in canada and their requirments? :confused:

Most important thing to do in Grade 9?

Enjoy life. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
No, you don't need 100% in your science and math classes in high school to be a doctor. You don't even need to do well in high school since intro classes assume you know nothing about the science (although they will assume you have the necessary skills to be competent; for example, chemistry classes assume you know algebra and physics classes will assume you know trig or calculus). If you want college to be as easy as possible though then take AP biology, AP chemistry, AP physics, AP stats, AP calculus BC, AP English, and AP psychology. Don't worry about taking the AP tests (even if you get 5's on all of them you won't want to accept any college credit for them since med schools hate seeing people AP out of pre-reqs). If you take all of those classes all of your pre-med requirements will be a joke except for organic chemistry. Of course, the catch is that you pay it all forward in high school. On the bright side though, if you do badly in your AP classes no one cares except colleges. If you do badly in your college pre-reqs though then that will affect your ability to get into med school. Thus, if you're going to have trouble with the pre-reqs it's better to take bad grades in high school when no one's watching so that you can get better grades in college.

Don't think you have to do this to have a shot at med school though. Most of the people I know who went on to be med students/doctors or scientists were hideous slackers in high school, if not undergrad as well. Also, aside from AP classes, high school science classes aren't really science as much as they are science trivia. This is especially true for biology; high school bio and college bio are two completely different animals.

^ agreeded.
Take AP bio, Chem, physics, calc, stats , don't bother taking the AP tests. AND then take those same classes in college.

Med schools care most about your college GPA.. Learn as much as possible in high school to help you out in college.

I'm going to start high school in the fall. I'm looking at ortho. Is the UCSF clinical training really superior to Mayo??? Please advise. :rolleyes:

EMS might be something to look into to see if you really wish to go into medicine.

:rofl:

To the OP, high school grades don't matter in the long run. For now, enjoy life. Maybe find a long term volunteer experience that you can dedicate your next few years to. That kind of commitment looks very good when applying to med school.

you can learn how to check for prostate and testicular cancer.

A grade 9 can't type that well. I call TROLL!

if you however are not a troll, then read what previous people have wrote and ask more Q

A grade 9 can't type that well. I call TROLL!

if you however are not a troll, then read what previous people have wrote and ask more Q

Is the bar really that low for high school students these days?

OP: Go get into trouble and make mistakes. No one likes a dull medical school applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the bar really that low for high school students these days?

OP: Go get into trouble and make mistakes. No one likes a dull medical school applicant.
Commit some crimes for diversity. No one likes a clean-straight doc.:rolleyes:

Don't refer to yourself as grade 9 for starters. Secondly, chill out and worry enough to get into a college you want.

Your grades and coursework from high school will play no real role in getting into med school. Just make sure you do well enough to get into college. The college you go to isn't even very important, as long as you do well. I went to a no-name university, did very well, and was accepted to several top-tier medical schools. You can major in anything you want in college, as long as you take certain pre-reqs for med school. The only volunteer work that will be seriously considered by med schools will be work done during college, unless it's volunteer work you continued from HS into your college years. For now, I suggest you just relax, enjoy your high school years, take classes you enjoy, do any volunteer work you enjoy, and avoid all those nasty upperclassmen on Freshmen Friday.

You my friend have stole the words out of my mouth

Don't refer to yourself as grade 9 for starters. Secondly, chill out and worry enough to get into a college you want.

tumblr_ly21ha5CED1qewacoo1_r1_500-276x300.jpg

Learn how to talk to girls, do some algebra and have fun in HS.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Lol just worry about getting into a good college first

Pretty much what the others are saying. Worry about college, not medical school. By the time you're applying to college, you can factor a medical school into where you're applying (for example, I chose KU, UMKC, and CUNY for proximity to, or even having, med schools and hospitals).

But for now.

Don't worry about med schools, that's 8 years off. Don't worry about specialties, that's 12 years off. Get some good grades, and get into a college that you'll be happy to go to. Don't worry about brand name when you do. A bad school can't keep a good student down.

Re post this thread in 5 years and we will be glad to help and not accuse you as a troll otherwise.

Yeah just take the corresponding APs to Pre reqs like said above and get a little headstart to what info you will need for college and then get As in them all :)

The only thing you need to worry about is establishing good study habits while becoming a well rounded, interesting scholar athlete so you can get yourself into a respectable college.

Unless your high school is terrible. Then I would suggest working on a transfer to boarding school with your parents. The better ones give out tons of need-based grants so that pretty much anyone can afford to go.