I am new and could use some knowlede and/or advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MoosMommy52811

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I am new here as you can see. I am not a student nor in the vet field. Although I am not I joined this forum because I can not find advice and knowledge from any "real" people about becoming a veterinarian. I have always loved animals and am also concerened about all of the poor animals that are suffering as we speak from neglect etc. My Dream: I am really passionate and always have been about becoming a veterinarian and also having an animal rescue shelter of my own open to not just dogs and cats but, exotic pets especially (suck as sugar gliders etc). I love all animals and want to help the fight against abuse, neglect, and misleading information about certain breeds. With that said could anyone please give me some type of direction on where the heck do i start? I am 20 years old and finally got it through my head that if i really want to do this I need to do something about it and stop dreaming and wishing that "someday" it will. I've decided that day is now. Any info is welcome and very much appreciated. Thank You! I am looking forward to talking with you and listening to your thoughts, advice and experience.
🙂
 
The first place you should go for information on the process itself is the AAVMC website. Veterinary school is a rigorous professional doctoral level program in the US and Canada so you need to have an affinity for science as well as animals. If you just want to help animals there are a lot of other ways to do it

The single most important thing that you should do is to get in to shadow and/or work at a veterinary clinic in order to get a more realistic picture of the profession.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also, for animal experience you can volunteer at a local shelter where they always need help. From shelter work I was able to sign up to assist with spay/neuter clinics where I met some veterinarians and worked under their supervision at the clinics. I know some people have had a hard time finding work at animal clinics, so this way in may work if you hit a brick wall the other way. Good luck in your adventure!
 
Hi, I am new here as you can see. I am not a student nor in the vet field. Although I am not I joined this forum because I can not find advice and knowledge from any "real" people about becoming a veterinarian. I have always loved animals and am also concerened about all of the poor animals that are suffering as we speak from neglect etc. My Dream: I am really passionate and always have been about becoming a veterinarian and also having an animal rescue shelter of my own open to not just dogs and cats but, exotic pets especially (suck as sugar gliders etc). I love all animals and want to help the fight against abuse, neglect, and misleading information about certain breeds. With that said could anyone please give me some type of direction on where the heck do i start? I am 20 years old and finally got it through my head that if i really want to do this I need to do something about it and stop dreaming and wishing that "someday" it will. I've decided that day is now. Any info is welcome and very much appreciated. Thank You! I am looking forward to talking with you and listening to your thoughts, advice and experience.
🙂

Are you presently in college? Also, just to give you a basic run down of what will be expected of you in you're undergraduate education, you will have to complete several pre-requisite courses that are mandatory for admittance to a college of veterinary medicine. Usually the pre reqs required are: General Biology 1&1, General Chemistry 1&2, Organic Chemistry 1&2, Biochemistry, Genetics, Cellular Biology, and Microbiology along with two units of English and several hours of humanities classes. It would be a good idea to start familiarizing yourself with the school(s) that you plan on applying to, as each schools admissions requirements do vary slightly. Maintain a gpa as close to 4.0 as possible, and get as many job shadowing or paid positions as you can under the supervision of a veterinarian.
 
My Dream: I am really passionate and always have been about becoming a veterinarian and also having an animal rescue shelter of my own open to not just dogs and cats but, exotic pets especially (suck as sugar gliders etc). I love all animals and want to help the fight against abuse, neglect, and misleading information about certain breeds.

I think the best thing you can do know is get some experience at a local vet clinic as well as a local shelter. Volunteer, ask to shadow a vet for a day, get a job as a kennel assistant or a receptionist.

Working as a vet at a typical small animal practice and working as a shelter administrator are two very different things. There are vets who do exclusively shelter medicine, so definitely explore the field.

As a typical small animal vet, you don't do much fighting against abuse, neglect or BSL. You're mostly concerned about pets that already have homes, and you deal with owners that at least know/care enough to take their pets to the vet.
 
As a typical small animal vet, you don't do much fighting against abuse, neglect or BSL. You're mostly concerned about pets that already have homes, and you deal with owners that at least know/care enough to take their pets to the vet.

Also maybe check out Tufts' Masters in Animals and Public Policy (http://www.tufts.edu/vet/mapp/.) Its a really neat 1 year program that might be of interest to you if you are really interested in welfare and policy, which it sounds like you might be.
 
2 things you need to do...

If not in a college already - chose a program that will help you start with a very solid science foundation - while also completing all the pre reqs required to apply. Get good grades!

If you are already in school - look at the schools you are interested (start with the one in your state) figure out what their pre reqs are - you can buy a book online that gives you a run down of all the vet schools in the US and abroad.

http://www.aavmc.org/Publications/VMSAR.aspx - this gives you info about the schools, their stats, their requirements - this addition is for this cycle but they print a new one every year - but its a good resource. This will give you a plan to work off of so you can take the correct courses. Get good grades!

Shadow or volunteer in the field you are interested in - go to a shelter or low cost clinic - call an exotic rescue group in your area to see if they need help. You need to know if this is the type of job you want - like a previous post stated - there are tons of ways to help animals - becoming a vet is tough work and may not be the right route - so do your research - talk to people in the field - see what their day to day life is actually like.

Its a long road! But an exciting one - its a very honorable profession - but a tough one to break into - I'm finishing my 3 application right now and have been back in school for an additional 3 years getting my pre reqs and now my masters in biology - light at the end of the tunnel is worth the struggle!

Good luck!

PS - Get good grades!
 
PS - Get good grades!

Unfortunately this key to being admitted into any of the US vet schools. Most schools cut off at 2.8-3.0 minimum, and many (many, many) others will tell you a GPA in the 3.6 range is competitive.

Depending on the school you apply to, clinical experience is not enough; Virginia-Marlyand, for example, puts a huge emphasis on research, and likes to see some work done there, too.

This has been said before, but there is a huge difference between veterinary medicine and shelter work - think of it like comparing human medicine and work with sick orphans. The doctor is involved, but the work itself is quite different.

I hope no one in this forum is coming off as harsh; most of the membership here is comprised of veterinary students or pre-veterinary students who have witnessed firsthand just how rigorous the path to being a vet can be.

For example - I'm a biology major at my school, and while I love my subject, it is hard. Not just the material, but the environment. Biology is a fiercely competitive major, comprised of a boatload of pre-professional students who don't want anyone to do better in the class than they can. It's cutthroat. It's not a friendly place. I happen to thrive in it, but that's just me; it's certainly not a major for everybody! So do consider these things as you plot your path, and remember there are tons of other ways to get involved in animal rescue than getting a DVM. =) Pick what's right for you!