VMCAS Questions and Rants c/o 2031

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was always told to skip the fluff and get straight to the point. I will use my own experience as an example for how I framed it, but again, this just how I did it.
TLDR: start with the problem, how it affected you, what you ended up doing about it, what you learned and how this situation impacts your future career as a veterinarian (ie: what did you learn? what will you do in the future if this happens again?)
That was very helpful! Thank you!
 
Snce (presumably) adcoms know what responsibilities a vet assistant does, did you include all that in your experience section or only put what you learned/took away from that experience? for everything else in my experience section, i wrote a couple sentences about actual responsibilities and then another couple sentences about my favorite part and what I learned.

I'm a nontraditional applicant, I graduated high school almost 10 years ago (!). I only included one thing from high school and everything else from college and up, and I still have 13 different experiences.
 
Snce (presumably) adcoms know what responsibilities a vet assistant does, did you include all that in your experience section or only put what you learned/took away from that experience? for everything else in my experience section, i wrote a couple sentences about actual responsibilities and then another couple sentences about my favorite part and what I learned.

I'm a nontraditional applicant, I graduated high school almost 10 years ago (!). I only included one thing from high school and everything else from college and up, and I still have 13 different experiences.
I might be inclined to give some detail, as not all clinics will have assistants doing the same thing. Some clinics might only have you restraining and cleaning, others might have you do more clinically-relevant tasks. Clinically-relevant experiences tend to be more highly valued imo
 
I agree with PP. I do totally agree that people on an ad com will typically know what a vet assistant it and why waste time reiterating what people know, but there can be significant differences in what that role entails from clinic to clinic. I’d keep it very brief but still list out a couple things just to give an idea of what your exposure was and duties were.
 
I have a few questions about experience entry on VMCAS. I'm hoping to maybe get some perspective from people who've worked on the app review side of things:

- I'm questioning how I should categorize my work as teaching assistant. Right now I have it listed as extracurricular, but nothing seems quite right. I TA'd for 3 years for the veterinary parasitology course within a DVM program. All of the faculty I worked under were veterinarians, but it seems wrong to classify it as vet experience and I don't want admissions to think I'm intentionally inflating my vet hours with this. I lectured to the DVM students from time to time and then did typical TA stuff (lab prep, lab help, test proctoring, grading, etc). For a couple of labs a year, TAs assisted with some very basic animal handling (goats and horses). It was a salaried assistantship.

-I substitute taught the clinical rotation in parasitology for the 4th year students one. Technically I have this listed as unpaid extracurricular? It's wasn't part of my TA duties and I had the opportunity to cover it for more teaching experience. Does this seem like the right categorization?

- I have a lot of supervised diagnostic training in parasitology (under veterinarians in a D-lab setting) and more recently (past 2.5 years) independent diagnostic case consultation for a major vet health company as a veterinary parasitologist (my technical boss for this position is a veterinarian). I've listed these as vet experiences since technically both experiences were overseen by veterinarians and involved processing/reviewing veterinary clinical cases... does this seem ok?

-I have zero idea how to classify this... I've written a few invited mini review style publications (peer reviewed) for some veterinary magazines. Think TVP, Clinician's Brief type articles... These were of course written in conjunction with veterinarians. How should I even classify this? I received honoraria for these articles.

-Research.... I've got about 7000 research hours (I am currently a post doc). Is it ok that I've subdivided each experience by project? For context, over the course of my PhD I've worked on like 21 different projects, some with a lot of hours, some with only like 50. The vast majority have publications related to them that I'm included on. I feel like my justification for dividing it up is that many of the projects had vastly different experiences/activities. Some were just like classic bench work, and others were animal studies. Some were company sponsored, one I wrote the grant for and am the PI. You get the idea.... it's too much to just write 7000 hours and sum it up with 300 words. Is it ok that I've divided up my research hours this way? I don't want them to think I'm being ridiculous, but the VAST majority of my experience/professional identity is in veterinary research and I have A LOT of experience in this capacity. I feel like it's worth being detailed here.
 
Last edited:
I have a few questions about experience entry on VMCAS. I'm hoping to maybe get some perspective from people who've worked on the app review side of things:

- I'm questioning how I should categorize my work as teaching assistant. Right now I have it listed as extracurricular, but nothing seems quite right. I TA'd for 3 years for the veterinary parasitology course within a DVM program. Technically all of the faculty I worked under were veterinarians, but it seems wrong to classify it as vet experience and I don't want admissions to think I'm intentionally inflating my vet hours with this. I lectured to the DVM students from time to time and then did typical TA stuff (lab prep, lab help, test proctoring, grading, etc). It was a salaried assistantship.
I can really only answer this one. I wouldn't classify this as vet hours, but you can classify it as non-vet employment
 
I have a few questions about experience entry on VMCAS. I'm hoping to maybe get some perspective from people who've worked on the app review side of things:

- I'm questioning how I should categorize my work as teaching assistant. Right now I have it listed as extracurricular, but nothing seems quite right. I TA'd for 3 years for the veterinary parasitology course within a DVM program. All of the faculty I worked under were veterinarians, but it seems wrong to classify it as vet experience and I don't want admissions to think I'm intentionally inflating my vet hours with this. I lectured to the DVM students from time to time and then did typical TA stuff (lab prep, lab help, test proctoring, grading, etc). For a couple of labs a year, TAs assisted with some very basic animal handling (goats and horses). It was a salaried assistantship.

-I substitute taught the clinical rotation in parasitology for the 4th year students one. Technically I have this listed as unpaid extracurricular? It's wasn't part of my TA duties and I had the opportunity to cover it for more teaching experience. Does this seem like the right categorization?

- I have a lot of supervised diagnostic training in parasitology (under veterinarians in a D-lab setting) and more recently (past 2.5 years) independent diagnostic case consultation for a major vet health company as a veterinary parasitologist (my technical boss for this position is a veterinarian). I've listed these as vet experiences since technically both experiences were overseen by veterinarians and involved processing/reviewing veterinary clinical cases... does this seem ok?

-I have zero idea how to classify this... I've written a few invited mini review style publications (peer reviewed) for some veterinary magazines. Think TVP, Clinician's Brief type articles... These were of course written in conjunction with veterinarians. How should I even classify this? I received honoraria for these articles.

-Research.... I've got about 7000 research hours (I am currently a post doc). Is it ok that I've subdivided each experience by project? For context, over the course of my PhD I've worked on like 21 different projects, some with a lot of hours, some with only like 50. The vast majority have publications related to them that I'm included on. I feel like my justification for dividing it up is that many of the projects had vastly different experiences/activities. Some were just like classic bench work, and others were animal studies. Some were company sponsored, one I wrote the grant for and am the PI. You get the idea.... it's too much to just write 7000 hours and sum it up with 300 words. Is it ok that I've divided up my research hours this way? I don't want them to think I'm being ridiculous, but the VAST majority of my experience/professional identity is in veterinary research and I have A LOT of experience in this capacity. I feel like it's worth being detailed here.
My two cents is that you should try to make your application as easy (and quickly) to read as possible without sacrificing your stand out experiences.

For your publications, probably list them as honors.

The adcoms can already see you have a PhD and will likely understand your technical and research experience. I don’t know if you should condense this into one experience or just a few.
 
I have a few questions about experience entry on VMCAS. I'm hoping to maybe get some perspective from people who've worked on the app review side of things:

- I'm questioning how I should categorize my work as teaching assistant. Right now I have it listed as extracurricular, but nothing seems quite right. I TA'd for 3 years for the veterinary parasitology course within a DVM program. All of the faculty I worked under were veterinarians, but it seems wrong to classify it as vet experience and I don't want admissions to think I'm intentionally inflating my vet hours with this. I lectured to the DVM students from time to time and then did typical TA stuff (lab prep, lab help, test proctoring, grading, etc). For a couple of labs a year, TAs assisted with some very basic animal handling (goats and horses). It was a salaried assistantship.
nonvet employment
-I substitute taught the clinical rotation in parasitology for the 4th year students one. Technically I have this listed as unpaid extracurricular? It's wasn't part of my TA duties and I had the opportunity to cover it for more teaching experience. Does this seem like the right categorization?
extracurriculars doesn't feel quite right to me either, but it might be the best fit with the options you've got. It feels weirder to list it under 'volunteer' imo
- I have a lot of supervised diagnostic training in parasitology (under veterinarians in a D-lab setting) and more recently (past 2.5 years) independent diagnostic case consultation for a major vet health company as a veterinary parasitologist (my technical boss for this position is a veterinarian). I've listed these as vet experiences since technically both experiences were overseen by veterinarians and involved processing/reviewing veterinary clinical cases... does this seem ok?
Seems ok to me, it is a legit veterinary experience
-I have zero idea how to classify this... I've written a few invited mini review style publications (peer reviewed) for some veterinary magazines. Think TVP, Clinician's Brief type articles... These were of course written in conjunction with veterinarians. How should I even classify this? I received honoraria for these articles.
Since you were paid, I would do this as a single entry under non-veterinary employment
-Research.... I've got about 7000 research hours (I am currently a post doc). Is it ok that I've subdivided each experience by project? For context, over the course of my PhD I've worked on like 21 different projects, some with a lot of hours, some with only like 50. The vast majority have publications related to them that I'm included on. I feel like my justification for dividing it up is that many of the projects had vastly different experiences/activities. Some were just like classic bench work, and others were animal studies. Some were company sponsored, one I wrote the grant for and am the PI. You get the idea.... it's too much to just write 7000 hours and sum it up with 300 words. Is it ok that I've divided up my research hours this way? I don't want them to think I'm being ridiculous, but the VAST majority of my experience/professional identity is in veterinary research and I have A LOT of experience in this capacity. I feel like it's worth being detailed here.
I think yes keep them broken up because VMCAS specifically asks you to explain your involvement in the project and as you've stated, your degree of involvement varies a lot. They also specifically ask if the experience resulted in a publication/presentation so you'd want to be able to answer that for each project I'd think. The actual pubs themselves can be listed under achievements iirc.

I don't think you're being overly tedious. You just have a lot of experience. I wouldn't expect someone with 20+ years of veterinary hours to lump experiences together for the sake of brevity :shrug:

That all said, paging @supershorty and @WildZoo because they are also PhDs and might have better input.
 
Does anyone have experience entering AP credits when they are listed without course titles on the official transcript? I want to ensure I am doing this correctly, I have contacted VMCAS support but got an automated and unhelpful reply. My credit is listed like this in my transcript:

-----Test Credit-----
Advanced Placement Test (Score: 5)
BIO 100 Biology 4.00 T
BIO 200 4.00 T

The BIO 100 course at my school is not called "Biology" but that is what it shows up as on my transcript, and there is no title listed for BIO 200. Right now I have the course title input as "Biology" for both courses, but I just wanted to check if anyone else has had to do this in the past and whether it caused any issues. Thanks!
 
I am a non-traditional student who graduated high school around 20 years ago. I was not planning on including any high school experiences since none are animal or veterinary. However, an email from Mizzou makes me think that maybe I should. They are nothing stand out, mostly things like band, sports, a couple clubs, and fast food/retail employment. Are these worth adding?

I am currently applying with approximately
1860 vet hours
3600 animal hours
3500 extracurricular hours (includes college band and a club sport continued from high school)
35,000 other employment (6 years military, 6 years systems engineering, assorted other customer service and retail jobs)
 
I am a non-traditional student who graduated high school around 20 years ago. I was not planning on including any high school experiences since none are animal or veterinary. However, an email from Mizzou makes me think that maybe I should. They are nothing stand out, mostly things like band, sports, a couple clubs, and fast food/retail employment. Are these worth adding?

I am currently applying with approximately
1860 vet hours
3600 animal hours
3500 extracurricular hours (includes college band and a club sport continued from high school)
35,000 other employment (6 years military, 6 years systems engineering, assorted other customer service and retail jobs)
Given how long ago that was, I wouldn't.
 
I am a non-traditional student who graduated high school around 20 years ago. I was not planning on including any high school experiences since none are animal or veterinary. However, an email from Mizzou makes me think that maybe I should. They are nothing stand out, mostly things like band, sports, a couple clubs, and fast food/retail employment. Are these worth adding?

I am currently applying with approximately
1860 vet hours
3600 animal hours
3500 extracurricular hours (includes college band and a club sport continued from high school)
35,000 other employment (6 years military, 6 years systems engineering, assorted other customer service and retail jobs)
For your specific situation I don't think they will really add a lot if you already have plenty of more recent and applicable hours in all the categories. Doesn't hurt to add it if you want and the schools can decide how much consideration they want to give it, but potenitally not worth the return on your time investment to type it all in if it was that long ago.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have never had an issue like this before but I'm in the final stretch of preparing my application and I am panicking. I'm not sure what happened, but two of my recommenders, both veterinarians, are husband and wife. While submitting his letter of recommendation, it looks like the husband may have accidentally submitted it using the wife's link somehow, or VMCAS confused the two? I sent each one a different link.

I know the wife hasn't submitted her letter yet and the husband submitted his because he told me, but in my VMCAS application it's showing the wife has submitted and the husband hasn't. I don't even know how to begin to fix this. (help.) I'm also reasonably sure that the husband used the link from his email because we were communicating via email.
 
I have never had an issue like this before but I'm in the final stretch of preparing my application and I am panicking. I'm not sure what happened, but two of my recommenders, both veterinarians, are husband and wife. While submitting his letter of recommendation, it looks like the husband may have accidentally submitted it using the wife's link somehow, or VMCAS confused the two? I sent each one a different link.

I know the wife hasn't submitted her letter yet and the husband submitted his because he told me, but in my VMCAS application it's showing the wife has submitted and the husband hasn't. I don't even know how to begin to fix this. (help.) I'm also reasonably sure that the husband used the link from his email because we were communicating via email.
Call vmcas and tell them the situation and see what they say. They’re who will need to help you fix an issue.
 
I’m definitely getting to the point of overthinking 🥴😬

Is having only 3 LORs okay? Should I be asking for more? I have my physiology/biochem professor, my DVM professor, and the owner of the dog training business i worked for.

I chose the DVM professor because my GPA is the weakest part of my application and I thought two professor LORs would be beneficial - I did email the few schools I was applying to and they said she would count as a DVM letter. I could ask the vet I work for too (although it is late), I’ve just been nervous to ask. I also thought about asking my long time petsitting client with a medically complex dog, although I wonder if that leans more character reference than work ethic/professionalism.
 
Three is all you need unless a school specifically has different requirements. More is not bad if you’re sure they’ll all be amazing, but better to have three really good ones than a bunch with one or two that aren’t as strong. A bad or lukewarm LOR is really really hard to overcome so stick with people who you know will sing your praises and know you well.
 
How should I go about getting supplemental essays proofread at this point? I have written most of mine, but my main concerns are if the content of my essays address the questions properly. I know that most PS readers are back at school and that there aren't any threads for reading supplementals, but I wanted to ask what the best option/way to get another set of eyes on them would be. Thank you.
 
Hello!
If I took a certificate course online, do I just put that in as a certificate?
I don’t need a transcript for that right?
Also if I want to take another class, do I put that in as a new transcript and in progress, or do I list it at all?
Thanks!!
 
If I took a certificate course online, do I just put that in as a certificate?
If it's not for class credit and it's a certification-CPR, Fear-free, etc-you'll put it as a certification and you don't need a transcript.

Also if I want to take another class, do I put that in as a new transcript and in progress, or do I list it at all?
As long as the class isn't a prereq, you don't need to list it as planned or send in a transcript. Whatever school you get accepted to will ask for a final transcript anyway.
 
Hi everyone!

It's my second cycle applying and I'm in the process of going over my experiences once again and I'm unsure of what can classify as extracurriculars. In one of my essays I mentioned playing competitive softball for 12 years, is that something to log? I also a hobby ceramicist and don't know if that should be logged either. In my first cycle I think I just omitted those kinds of things for whatever reason but I don't want admissions committee to think "Why is this not in the experiences section too?"

Any advice?
 
Hi everyone!

It's my second cycle applying and I'm in the process of going over my experiences once again and I'm unsure of what can classify as extracurriculars. In one of my essays I mentioned playing competitive softball for 12 years, is that something to log? I also a hobby ceramicist and don't know if that should be logged either. In my first cycle I think I just omitted those kinds of things for whatever reason but I don't want admissions committee to think "Why is this not in the experiences section too?"

Any advice?
Yes, put hobbies in your extracurriculars. It shows you have dedication in things other than vet med. Def include softball if it was within the high school/college time frame. On my apps I put down all of the half marathons/triathlons etc I’d done and in the descriptions talked about the consistency and time needed to get the result
 
How should I go about getting supplemental essays proofread at this point? I have written most of mine, but my main concerns are if the content of my essays address the questions properly. I know that most PS readers are back at school and that there aren't any threads for reading supplementals, but I wanted to ask what the best option/way to get another set of eyes on them would be. Thank you.
For me, I had a bunch of different people read them and provide feedback. It doesn’t have to be students! I had my spouse, my MIL who is a writer, my best friend who was in the middle of her PhD, a friend/mentor DVM who wrote one of my LORs, and another DVM who I know pretty well online but doesn’t know me personally.
For me the best thing was getting as many different sets of eyes on them as I could, as many times as I could. Reach out to anyone you are comfortable with and ask if you can email them your essays!
 
Does anyone have experience entering AP credits when they are listed without course titles on the official transcript? I want to ensure I am doing this correctly, I have contacted VMCAS support but got an automated and unhelpful reply. My credit is listed like this in my transcript:

-----Test Credit-----
Advanced Placement Test (Score: 5)
BIO 100 Biology 4.00 T
BIO 200 4.00 T

The BIO 100 course at my school is not called "Biology" but that is what it shows up as on my transcript, and there is no title listed for BIO 200. Right now I have the course title input as "Biology" for both courses, but I just wanted to check if anyone else has had to do this in the past and whether it caused any issues. Thanks!
Bringing this back up because I tried calling the support line and again got no answers. I'd like thoughts on this even if people haven't experienced it specifically! I'm mostly trying to figure out if I should be inputting blank course titles as "N/A" like the help center says to enter missing prefixes/numbers, or if I should use the same course name for all credits awarded for each test :/
 
Bringing this back up because I tried calling the support line and again got no answers. I'd like thoughts on this even if people haven't experienced it specifically! I'm mostly trying to figure out if I should be inputting blank course titles as "N/A" like the help center says to enter missing prefixes/numbers, or if I should use the same course name for all credits awarded for each test :/
Did you call or email and ask your target schools? That’s where I’d go next if VMCAS wasn’t helpful. You may get different answers from how the schools would prefer it be presented, but you could do it the way the place you want the most prefers if no one else is giving you guidance. You have what sounds like an uncommon problem, it’s probably pretty unlikely that anyone on SDN has been in the same situation.
 
Did you call or email and ask your target schools? That’s where I’d go next if VMCAS wasn’t helpful. You may get different answers from how the schools would prefer it be presented, but you could do it the way the place you want the most prefers if no one else is giving you guidance. You have what sounds like an uncommon problem, it’s probably pretty unlikely that anyone on SDN has been in the same situation.
Thanks for the advice, I haven't done that so I will try that next!
 
Bringing this back up because I tried calling the support line and again got no answers. I'd like thoughts on this even if people haven't experienced it specifically! I'm mostly trying to figure out if I should be inputting blank course titles as "N/A" like the help center says to enter missing prefixes/numbers, or if I should use the same course name for all credits awarded for each test :/
I also had an issue with my AP credits the second year I applied and I was three years graduated at that point, though I’m not sure it was the same problem. My transcript, when sent to VMCAS from the school, listed them as AP credit - No Subject despite them being AP English lit credits. My application was marked incomplete because VMCAS needed them to be listed as English lit/comp credits so I could assign them to the pre-req. I reached out to my undergrad college and spoke with the registrar. She then copied me on an email to VMCAS and the admissions office of each school I applied to. It explained the AP credits, what they counted for, the fact that one class did not exactly transfer, and the titles and requirements they satisfied. VMCAS asked for a PDF degree audit, which had to come from the Director of Admissions from my undergrad. I submitted early but not really early enough for this snafu because many of the schools I applied to still had specific English requirements beyond just having a BA. I think I emailed the registrar on 9/14 the year I applied and the final degree audit was sent 9/19 at like 4:30 pm (I’m pretty sure the deadline was that night lol).

If VMCAS wasn’t super helpful, I would reach out to your admissions office for each school, and also pre-emptively reach out to your registrar/admissions/degree office at your school and get a letter ready to certify what the credits were and what they satisfied.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, put hobbies in your extracurriculars. It shows you have dedication in things other than vet med. Def include softball if it was within the high school/college time frame. On my apps I put down all of the half marathons/triathlons etc I’d done and in the descriptions talked about the consistency and time needed to get the result
Do you think it would be a good idea to put the start date from the early 2000s? I feel like that sounds so insane but I played from 2007-2019. I also explicitly talk about it in one of my supplemental essays and how it shaped me as a person so I'm afraid of an inconsistencies being present...
 
Do you think it would be a good idea to put the start date from the early 2000s? I feel like that sounds so insane but I played from 2007-2019. I also explicitly talk about it in one of my supplemental essays and how it shaped me as a person so I'm afraid of an inconsistencies being present...
I just started activities starting from 2009 (my freshman year of high school) even though I started prior to high school.

I don’t think a school will look at your experience and then look at your essay and think about it being inconsistent in that way
 
Hello! I was hoping for a little input:

-When assigning prerequisites to program requirements on VMCAS, is it better to choose the course that fits that prerequisite with the highest grade or the more "difficult"/higher level course that fits that prerequisite even if that grade is lower than a lower level/"easier" course that also fits the prerequisite? I'm assuming the highest grade that meets the prerequisite but wanted other's input.

-I am a licensed veterinary technician currently, applying to vet school this cycle. Where, if anywhere, should I list my various veterinary continuing education (CE) hours/certificates on VMCAS?

-I previously held "Elite Fear Free Certified Professional Designation" and was Fear Free certified. My membership has since lapsed due to funds, and I know that we are only supposed to list current licenses and certifications under the "licenses and certifications" section. I am reading mixed things about whether I should remove this and all associated CE information for it from my application entirely or shift it to the "Achievements" or "Experiences" section. Thoughts?

-I currently have a write up (a brief communication, not a full manuscript) in review for publication with a journal that I am co-author on regarding results from a research project I was a part of. Can I/should I include this anywhere on my application while it is still pending?

-I have spent a significant amount of time over the past 7-8 years as a caregiver for my mother. I am a non-traditional student (graduated high school in 2014; was working on my undergraduate since...between my own health issues (now controlled) and taking care of my mom while working full-time things were slow-going). Can I/should I include the caregiving on my application experience at all? I assumed it would go under volunteering, as it was unpaid and obviously not animal/vet related. Thoughts?

Thank you for your time!
 
I'm assuming the highest grade that meets the prerequisite

This.

I know that we are only supposed to list current licenses and certifications under the "licenses and certifications" section. I am reading mixed things about whether I should remove this and all associated CE information for it from my application entirely or shift it to the "Achievements" or "Experiences" section.

You are still fear free certified, even if you don't pay their dues to maintain the designation. So put it under achievements or something like that

Can I/should I include this anywhere on my application while it is still pending?

Absolutely. You should already have this under your research experience section with hours and everything

Can I/should I include the caregiving on my application experience at all?

This is what the extenuating circumstances essay is for. If life experiences like caregiving could have a place in the experience section, every single person with children would have thousands of hours.
 
Hello all, I am a (very) non-traditional first-time applicant this cycle and have submitted the following questions to VMCAS support but hoped some of you might know the answer to these questions. Thank you in advance for your time!

1) How to verify whether a transcript received by VMCAS has a course listed that I am currently taking? If it is not listed, should I have the transcript re-sent to VMCAS, or is that a waste of time? Will the school even look at it (it is their own school; I am taking the class through CSU Online and am applying to CSU)

2) If prerequisite matching is not available for the humanities/electives prereqs of a school (CSU), but VMCAS shows it as "ready to submit" as I have matched all of the available prerequisites, what should I do about the other prereqs that I couldn't match anything to? Will VMCAS count up humanities/electives credits to report to the school so that they know those were completed?

3) If my General Chemistry course included a lab but that is not listed on my transcript as "w/ Lab", should I be concerned that the school will not know the course included the lab?
 
How to verify whether a transcript received by VMCAS has a course listed that I am currently taking?

If you've sent your most recent transcript, it should have all completed courses and maybe courses for the current semester. Your current semester courses should be under planned courses regardless, rather than completed. So they wouldn't be looking for them in your transcript anyway.

If prerequisite matching is not available for the humanities/electives prereqs of a school

A few years ago, a student didn't do a prerequisite match for a class for Illinois and Illinois outright rejected them because they had no way to know the student was planning on taking this course. It was a chem course since Illinois just requires a certain number of chem credits rather than a list of specific chem courses.

I would make **abundantly** sure that it is okay to leave that prerequisite blank by contacting the school. Your alternative is to list a planned course instead.

If my General Chemistry course included a lab but that is not listed on my transcript as "w/ Lab", should I be concerned that the school will not know the course included the lab?

Yes, because how else would they know? I would check with the school on whether or not they need the syllabus
 
3) If my General Chemistry course included a lab but that is not listed on my transcript as "w/ Lab", should I be concerned that the school will not know the course included the lab?
I didn’t have an issue last cycle - my bios and my chems are all included labs. Each course was 4 credits each. I think my program assumed the lab was combined as it was 4 credits. Usually lectures are 3 credits and the lab is 1 credit - for semester schools. You can always check with the program yourself for confirmation. But I don’t see an issue as it’s pretty self explanatory “General Chemistry I” 4-Credits.
 
I apologize if this has already been asked but how long does VMCAS take to verify transcripts? I submitted mine August 18th, got a confirmation from the school that it was sent to VMCAS but I haven’t heard anything or updated in my portal. Thanks!
 
I apologize if this has already been asked but how long does VMCAS take to verify transcripts? I submitted mine August 18th, got a confirmation from the school that it was sent to VMCAS but I haven’t heard anything or updated in my portal. Thanks!

At this stage in the game, it can take a ton of time because so many people are submitting right now. 3-4 weeks is probably pretty likely
 
I apologize if this has already been asked but how long does VMCAS take to verify transcripts? I submitted mine August 18th, got a confirmation from the school that it was sent to VMCAS but I haven’t heard anything or updated in my portal! Thanks!
It may vary based on how complicated your transcript history was, but I submitted mine at ~7pm yesterday and actually got verified at about 1am. So it's def still possible to get verified quickly. Have you confirmed that VMCAS has received all of your transcripts?
 
Yeah mine took about 1 business day to verify, and I had transcripts from 3 different institutions including a BSc, a PhD spread out over two universities, and post-bach classes. As long as they have the right documents in their possession, I wouldn't worry too much.
 
I apologize if this has already been asked but how long does VMCAS take to verify transcripts? I submitted mine August 18th, got a confirmation from the school that it was sent to VMCAS but I haven’t heard anything or updated in my portal. Thanks!
So I sat in on the vmcas webinar the other day and they said that if you're submitting this early that it should only be 1 or 2 days?? They seemed to be indicating that the longer verification times were for when people waited til the last couple days near 9/15. Did you ever receive your verification?
 
If you've sent your most recent transcript, it should have all completed courses and maybe courses for the current semester. Your current semester courses should be under planned courses regardless, rather than completed. So they wouldn't be looking for them in your transcript anyway.



A few years ago, a student didn't do a prerequisite match for a class for Illinois and Illinois outright rejected them because they had no way to know the student was planning on taking this course. It was a chem course since Illinois just requires a certain number of chem credits rather than a list of specific chem courses.

I would make **abundantly** sure that it is okay to leave that prerequisite blank by contacting the school. Your alternative is to list a planned course instead.



Yes, because how else would they know? I would check with the school on whether or not they need the syllabus
Thanks for your reply! Just wanted to come back and respond here so that anyone going through similar can hear about what I ended up doing/finding out for each of these:

1) I contacted VMCAS and they were able to confirm that the in-progress course was on the transcript, and they said that the schools DO sometimes view them, so I am happy that I checked, just in case they want to see it actually listed on the transcript rather than just matched in the prereq matching system as in-progress (which I also did).

2) So with this one I actually meant that CSU says on their DVM prereq page that they require 12 credits of "Arts & Humanities/Behavioral & Social Sciences" and 15 credits of "Electives", however in VMCAS there was nowhere to match any courses to those prereqs! I was able to match everything else, including all biomed prereqs as well as their English Composition prereq, but the others were nowhere to be found. VMCAS was no help with this question, they just said to contact the school, but I knew CSU is being flooded with questions right now and the turnaround would be slow, and I wanted to submit my app so I just made a note in the "Special Circumstances" section of the CSU supplemental app (where you note any course approvals or weirdness with your academic history) about how I had those prereqs completed and on my transcripts, but there wasn't a place to match them in the VMCAS system. Probably not necessary but just wanted to be extra safe.

3) VMCAS confirmed that I should NOT put in "w/ Lab" unless that is how it appeared on my transcript. They assured me that since it was a higher unit General Chemistry course (mine was actually 5 units, not 4), the school would know that a Lab was included, and it would just confuse matters if I didn't enter it EXACTLY as shown on the transcript. So that's what I did!

Thanks again for your reply!
 
So I sat in on the vmcas webinar the other day and they said that if you're submitting this early that it should only be 1 or 2 days?? They seemed to be indicating that the longer verification times were for when people waited til the last couple days near 9/15. Did you ever receive your verification?
I still haven’t received anything and i’m starting to panic, should I reorder?
 
I still haven’t received anything and i’m starting to panic, should I reorder?
Hmm, that's ~13 business days. Were all your transcripts already received by VMCAS when you submitted?
If so, I think I would contact their help center. I think it's open 24/7?
ETA: Maybe that's just their chat bot. May be regular business hours for the help center.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm, that's ~13 business days. Were all your transcripts already received by VMCAS when you submitted?
If so, I think I would contact their help center. I think it's open 24/7?
ETA: Maybe that's just their chat bot. May be regular business hours for the help center.
They were received last year when I applied, but I took two classes over the summer that I need the transcript for. I haven't submitted the application yet because of this. I contacted support but of course its a holiday weekend.
 
They were received last year when I applied, but I took two classes over the summer that I need the transcript for. I haven't submitted the application yet because of this. I contacted support but of course its a holiday weekend.
I requested transcripts for my summer semester on August 14th, and VMCAS didn't mark them as received until September 3rd. They're processing plenty of transcripts right now with applications due soon and summer having just ended, so try not to stress too much while awaiting an update from them. If you're ready otherwise, VMCAS lets you submit your application while waiting for transcripts to process. Wishing you the best! :cares:
 
Hi all! I hope everyone is having a successful end to the application process!

I had a question regarding transcripts for in-progress course work. My final transcripts for a couple courses will not be available until after the September 15th deadline (likely around the end of September). I want to get these transcripts in as soon as possible, but I know I will not be able to add them to VMCAS at that point. Do I just wait until the schools request Fall/Spring transcripts? Or can I send them to my schools as soon as I have them?

My required transcripts were already submitted and verified, so it is just these last few courses that I am waiting on. Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated. Thank you, and good luck!
 
Hey everyone! My AP credits are on my transcript as general test credits with a course number and credits earned, but they are not labeled as AP, so VMCAS had me put them down as test credits from tests other than AP, even though they are not. My application was verified with this. Some of the schools I'm applying to only accept AP credits and not other test credits, like CLEP or IB, which makes me nervous. I contacted the schools, but while I'm waiting for a response, has anyone else been in this situation?