I am not making this up!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you guys get this a lot.

I went to my insurance agent yesterday and had a new agent handle my car insurance. I was wearing my COM's baseball hat at the time.

Agent: So you work at ___ (name of University)?
goro: Yup. I'm on faculty at the medical school.
Agent: So that's like a doctoral or nursing program?
goro: It's a medical school. Our students get a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree instead of a Medical Doctor degree. Same thing.
Agent: Is something you can do online?
goro: Umm, no.

Over in the allo forum is a great thread called "dumb quotes from pre-meds". This is analogous.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 30 users

I went to my insurance agent yesterday and had a new agent handle my car insurance. I was wearing my COM's baseball hat at the time.

goro: It's a medical school. Our students get a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree instead of a Medical Doctor degree. Same thing.

Over in the allo forum is a great thread called "dumb quotes from pre-meds". This is analogous.

wow

This must be the first time Goro started a thread!

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly I think this is one of the most annoying parts of going to a DO school.

Reactions: 5 users
To display how much my dad does not understand DO: I tell him I'm going to med school. He even says he's proud I'm gonna be a doc. Everything is completely normal. But I can tell he really has no clue, because instead of just saying " my son will be attending med school in the fall" he says " my son will be attending DO school in the fall." My brother is an MD. I never hear anyone say " yea I'll be attending MDschool." lol. I give up. I only say I'm going to med school. I even gave him a brochure entitled" what is a DO." Not anymore I can do . Added on to this: I really don't care, I just like to give the correct answer about it if I'm ever asked

But yea, when people ask what nursing degree you're going for ( this never happened to me) I just don't get it. How in this world and in real life is it possible to not know that there is nursing school, and there is med school? I honestly never thought I'd read something that rediculous on these boards but I see it on the time.

Reactions: 2 users
To display how much my dad does not understand DO: I tell him I'm going to med school. He even says he's proud I'm gonna be a doc. Everything is completely normal. But I can tell he really has no clue, because instead of just saying " my son will be attending med school in the fall" he says " my son will be attending DO school in the fall." My brother is an MD. I never hear anyone say " yea I'll be attending MDschool." lol. I give up. I only say I'm going to med school. I even gave him a brochure entitled" what is a DO." Not anymore I can do . Added on to this: I really don't care, I just like to give the correct answer about it if I'm ever asked

But yea, when people ask what nursing degree you're going for ( this never happened to me) I just don't get it. How in this world and in real life is it possible to not know that there is nursing school, and there is med school? I honestly never thought I'd read something that rediculous on these boards but I see it on the time.

I get the nursing thing quite a bit. I think that's the girl thing tho.

Me: "I got accepted to TCOM mom. So no matter what else happens I'm going to medical school next year"
Mom: "Well keep your options open. So you'd be what if you go there? Like an assistant?"
Me: "No I'd be a physician"
Mom" Well my friend's son went to PA school and says it's hard to get into and it's a great job. Why don;t you do that instead"
Me: "I'll let you know how my other interviews go. Love you"

All of my conversations involving DO schools seem to go this way

Reactions: 12 users
Me: "I got accepted to TCOM mom. So no matter what else happens I'm going to medical school next year"
Mom: "Well keep your options open. So you'd be what if you go there? Like an assistant?"
Mom" Well my friend's son went to PA school and says it's hard to get into and it's a great job. Why don;t you do that instead"

Wow lol. That is kinda funny. You know what the real hilarious part about it is? They probably don't know much AT ALl about either what an MD is or anything that goes on in med school. I don't know why some people think life and death about the MD/DO thing. My dad even know several DO's in the area and still seems not to understand.

When I come across this nowadays, I usually tell people" you know what a dentist is? A DDS. They also have a degree called DMD that let's you be a dentist. This will really blow their minds.. My mom understands that DO are docs, but she can't get past " why their NEEDS to be two separate paths to become a doc." This is where I try to explain the apparent subtle differences, to no avail. Then she ends up at " so what is a DO again?"

I like the old NFL vs. AFL analogy, but it has been long enough since the merger that it gets lost on a lot of people now.

Wow lol. That is kinda funny. You know what the real hilarious part about it is? They probably don't know much AT ALl about either what an MD is or anything that goes on in med school.

No, most people don't. Some of my own relatives didn't understand the difference between a hospital rotation and a residency until I drew a medical training chart with all the steps for them.

Reactions: 1 user
After seeing this thread, I'm grateful that my parents are both healthcare professionals and work with DOs regularly so I don't have this problem.
Same. Although they only knew about one DO school, and were hellbent on me going to that school lol.

Wow lol. That is kinda funny. You know what the real hilarious part about it is? They probably don't know much AT ALl about either what an MD is or anything that goes on in med school. I don't know why some people think life and death about the MD/DO thing. My dad even know several DO's in the area and still seems not to understand.

When I come across this nowadays, I usually tell people" you know what a dentist is? A DDS. They also have a degree called DMD that let's you be a dentist. This will really blow their minds.. My mom understands that DO are docs, but she can't get past " why their NEEDS to be two separate paths to become a doc." This is where I try to explain the apparent subtle differences, to no avail. Then she ends up at " so what is a DO again?"

I can relate.

Im 25, and my mom still ask me what my major is. I graduated college 2 years ago and told her my major was biology and I wanted to go to med school many, many times. I still get the "if you want to go to med school, why not major in pre-med???" I never bring up the DO thing, she would be forever confused, but she's my mom I love her :).

Subscribed!

Similar situations here.
When I first got accepted, everyone was like what's DO?
One time, gf of my friend was like. Be careful to check since it was alternative medicine.
I was mmmmhmm :rolleyes:

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Hey Goro, not to ever question or correct you since you are AWESOME and totally respected by everyone on here, but I feel I gotta correct you on this: MD doesn't stand for "Medical Doctor", it's from the Latin (Medicinae Doctor) which translates to doctor of medicine. DOs are also medical doctors (Osteopathic medical doctors), just our degrees don't have it written in Latin. if it were, I'm sure ours would read Ossa-Pathologiae Medicinae Doctor. It's been over a decade since I studied Latin so I'm not sure if my translation is 100% . Again, no disrespect, just needed to make that one distinction

Last edited:
Hey Goro, not to ever question or correct you since you are AWESOME and totally respected by everyone on here, but I feel I gotta correct you on this: MD doesn't stand for "Medical Doctor", it's from the Latin (Medicinae Doctor) which translates to doctor of medicine. DOs are also medical doctors (Osteopathic medical doctors), just our degrees don't have it written in Latin. if it were, I'm sure ours would read Ossa-Pathologiae Medicinae Doctor. It's been over a decade since I studied classical Latin so I'm not sure if my translation is 100% . Again, no disrespect, just needed to make that one distinction
Man, you are "that guy", be careful on rotations, you are gonna get killed.

Reactions: 30 users
Man, you are "that guy", be careful on rotations, you are gonna get killed.
hey, just letting everyone else know that you can tell anyone after you graduate that you are a medical doctor. done. no more confusion from all of your friends and family. Don't worry, I'll survive rotations

My family still doesn't see it as a "real" doctor. They always ask if I am limited to only certain things and don't think I can do surgery, even though I have explained and showed them multiple sources of proof that I can if I wanted to do it. Some people really just can't wrap their heads around something new to them or something that goes against their normal way of thinking about it. Like how MD means doctor and anything else is not doctor. That is what is ingrained in peoples minds from television, ads, etc.

And when it comes to people I meet or other people I tell...I just say *blank* medical school and leave out the osteo part. Isn't it a shame that so many of us have to feel like this? Explaining ourselves to people over and over and then just getting sick of it and hiding the fact that we goto osteopathic schools.

I am passionate about medical history and anthropology. It always amazes me how little medicine has changed from the days of the Greco-Roman world to the present.

To add some perspective, many physicians still believed in the four humors (black bile, yellow bile, blood, and phlegm) until the mid 19th century. Scientists understood little about chromosomes and DNA, even at their most basic level, until the mid 20th century. After the mid 20th century, great advancements in science and the resulting evidence based medicine really began to take hold, but this was only the beginning of great change to come, change that continues to this day. And, what do we know about change?

As I'm sure we've all experienced, some people hate change, some are indifferent, and some are open and receptive to the possibility. Even today, some providers treat based off of the anecdotal "evidence" of old without ever caring to keep up to date. Even then, sometimes we only have anecdotal evidence until a determined someone proves otherwise and makes the information available to be weighed and used accordingly.

Let's back up and think about this for a second though. Things we learned about in BIO 101 were not understood by physicians 60-70 years, or one's lifetime ago. Even then, it was new information that was barely understood. Granted, there remains a lot about ourselves (read: human beings) that we do not yet know and may never know. There will be a lot we will do in our time as physicians that we will never understand fully why. Personally, I try to make it a point to understand as much of the 'why' as possible because if you do not have even a remote reason for doing something, then why are you doing it? Blind medicine is dangerous medicine.

Hopefully, this helps to show why medicine is a lifelong learning process. Furthermore, there's no one to hold your hand in this process. You either choose to do it to the benefit of yourself and your patients or not. As a physician, you are expected to help hold the hand of everyone around you, if needed: colleagues, patients, and just as important, your own. There is never a perfect answer, only a better one, and even that can prove relative to the moment.

I try not to involve myself in the trivial debates of whose degree 'looks' better, MD or DO, because we all know it does not matter. Not over a hundred years ago, there were still medical schools that were found to be fraudulent: true diploma mills. Medicine, nursing, etc. requirements were only beginning to be standardized in the time of some physicians who practice today. Standards continue to be developed. As a paramedic, I have personally seen the same bickering about who is a better provider between EMTs and paramedics, paramedics and nurses, nurses and doctors, etc. If someone chooses to be that way, fine. But, one should know that it's a long fall from a high horse and it may be more than one's ego being bruised in the end.

Sometimes, I think people associate the US MD with the long history of medicine. Of course, it has become part of medicine's history, but think about the age of this country compared to how long medicine has been around in the world.

Speaking of the world, other cultures even have other ways of doing things, too. And, I'm not talking about small African villages or towns in India. Treatments differ between Western cultures, between us, the French, the Germans, the British, etc. What knowledge does any of us possess that definitively proves American medicine's superiority in every sense? Some of what we do in this country is still harmful and a lot remains expensive. Numbers of studies are still fudged to this day, research evidence skewed through bad technique and simple omission.

At the end of the day, take what you learn, whether that be in the classroom or in clinics of the world, and use it to benefit mankind. There are more important things than the letters after your name or the coat you wear.

Do well and do good.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm not so sure MD students don't have to do a lot of explaining about what they're doing. At my really horrible job I had the year before I started, just before I left, I mentioned to a coworker that I was going to be going to medical school. I said nothing about DO. Just medical school.She warned me that I should be 'really sure' that I wanted to do that. She said she had been in the medical field... as a phlebotomist.

I've heard people say, oh yeah, my friend is going to med school too, she's going to be a medical assistant.

Lay people really for the most part have no clue how anything in the medical world works. In the end you just have to find something you want to do with your life and be self-content with it, and not care what others think. There will alway be haters.

I'm not so sure MD students don't have to do a lot of explaining about what they're doing. At my really horrible job I had the year before I started, just before I left, I mentioned to a coworker that I was going to be going to medical school. I said nothing about DO. Just medical school.She warned me that I should be 'really sure' that I wanted to do that. She said she had been in the medical field... as a phlebotomist.

I've heard people say, oh yeah, my friend is going to med school too, she's going to be a medical assistant.

Lay people really for the most part have no clue how anything in the medical world works. In the end you just have to find something you want to do with your life and be self-content with it, and not care what others think. There will alway be haters.
It's not just lay people. A lot of medical professionals don't even know how the medical world works. :)

You're right. There will always be haters. It's funny to think that there are haters who don't even understand what it is that they are hating.

Years ago, I had the significant other of a classmate actually get angry at me for wanting to go to an osteopathic medical school. I didn't even really know him. He wasn't even planning on medical school himself, not that it matters. But, talk about bizarre. Goes to show that some adults are simply children who grow older.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say they're going to school to be a radiologist when they're actually in a radiology tech program. Its crazy how people invest thousands of dollars into these programs and not know what they're technically becoming.

In southeast Michigan, probably the most DO friendly area in the United States, a lot of people here are familiar with osteopathic medicine and you come across DOs all over the place. When I was looking to shadow a DO around the Detroit metro area, I could drive down a business park and come across equal number of MDs and DOs. MSUCOM is the biggest medical school in our state and I believe they do an excellent job at increasing osteopathic medicine awareness. Now we just need the rest of the country to follow along ;)

Reactions: 4 users

My friend pulled up a profile on Tinder that said they were going to medical school.

A deeper inspection revealed that it was actually an exterminator training program... you wanna talk about a reach lol

just out of pure curiosity, what car do you drive, goro?

My husband's aunt, who I hate with the fire of a thousand suns says she's a radiologist. She's a rad tech.

Reactions: 15 users
One of the chairs of my pre med letter committee thingy said " wait, you were a kinesiology major... That's not for med school. Why are you a kinesiology major??"

I just thought is throw that out there. :D guy Lewis is sort of right, which is a good thing.. We will obtain the DO degree, we will practice medicine, and therefore we will be medical doctors. I would gladly NOT call myself an incoming medical student if it wasn't true, but since it is, other people who don't know or care enough to do a 3 second google search about DO can bite me :D

My husband's aunt, who I hate with the fire of a thousand suns says she's a radiologist. She's a rad tech.
The photo guy at Walgreens told me he was thinking about going into the medical field: "yea I think I'm gonna go into radiology."

Of course I don't blame people for messing up the semantics sometimes... But it's still funny.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say they're going to school to be a radiologist when they're actually in a radiology tech program. Its crazy how people invest thousands of dollars into these programs and not know what they're technically becoming.

In southeast Michigan, probably the most DO friendly area in the United States, a lot of people here are familiar with osteopathic medicine and you come across DOs all over the place. When I was looking to shadow a DO around the Detroit metro area, I could drive down a business park and come across equal number of MDs and DOs. MSUCOM is the biggest medical school in our state and I believe they do an excellent job at increasing osteopathic medicine awareness. Now we just need the rest of the country to follow along ;)
go state schools!

although I wish MSUCOM was more OOS friendly

At least you don't have my mother's comments:
Mom: So. Are you still planning to go to medical school?
Me: Yes. I AM GOING TO GO.
Mom: Haha. You know, your aunt (she's a nurse) keeps commenting on how much more she makes than the interns. She says they can barely afford to eat and she buys food for them all the time.
Me: ...Ah.
Me: :mad:

We rarely speak to each other. When we do, this is what happens. lol

I don't look forward to explaining what DO is, but I am just going to try to avoid it as much as possible.

Reactions: 6 users
At least you don't have my mother's comments:
Me: Yes. I AM GOING TO GO.
Mom: Haha. You know, your aunt (she's a nurse) keeps commenting on how much more she makes than the interns. She says they can barely afford to eat and she buys food for them all the time.
Me: ...Ah.
Me: :mad:

We rarely speak to each other. When we do, this is what happens. lol

I don't look forward to explaining what DO is, but I am just going to try to avoid it as much as possible.

Why don't you tell her how much doctors make after residency? Just say intern/residency is like being in school and getting paid.

Why don't you tell her how much doctors make after residency? Just say intern/residency is like being in school and getting paid.

I come from a very poor family. My mom is of the impression that I am wasting my time and will be poor forever. lol Nothing works for her unless it is done her way. *shrugs*

^ the less they think you earn, the less they bother you with financial matters!

Reactions: 10 users

I shadow in an oncology/hematology clinic with two DOs. One of them has practiced in Michigan for 5 years, and the other for over 30 years. When I asked them about any biased against DOs in their experience, they couldn't really think of any times. Even the older one, with 30 years experience, hadn't experienced any discrimination. She only commented on the fact that she has seen more DOs in the public eye increase in the recent decades.

Goes to show you how good Michigan is to DOs because of MSUCOM. :)

I think most of the confusion(outside of premed debates) comes from people confusing DOs with homeopathy or chiropractors. They actually dont know that a DO school IS Med school, and they just assume all physicians have a MD because it isnt a topic that they are exposed to.

I think most of the confusion(outside of premed debates) comes from people confusing DOs with homeopathy or chiropractors. They actually dont know that a DO school IS Med school, and they just assume all physicians have a MD because it isnt a topic that they are exposed to.
I blame the fact that so many people think MD means medical doctor, and thus if you aren't an MD you aren't a medical doctor. I won't lie, I was under this same assumption for a long time. but I think as future DOs it's good that we all know how to explain things out succinctly and in easily understandable terms to the public when they ask us to clarify. e.g. my conversation when someone asks me how a DO is different from an MD:

we are both medical doctors, and we both study the same material and are licensed and can practice medicine in the same fields. the only major difference is that DOs are physicians that have to study manipulative medicine on top of the usual stuff that is taught in medical school. Just like MDs, DOs can prescribe medications though we are trained to also use manipulations as a means of treating certain maladies.

Listen everyone. Once you are board certified, you can add extra letters on your coat i.e. Michael Goldberg, D.O., F.A.C.P. in script.....no patient will care or have the time to read your alphabets lol

Or if you wanna really go out there just add Dr. Michael Goldberg, D.O., F.A.C.P. NO ONE will ever wanna waste their time to read that on someone's coat. Introduce yourself as "Hi I'm Dr. Goldberg the Endocrinologist. What can I do for you today? and life will continue to be smooth.

Listen everyone. Once you are board certified, you can add extra letters on your coat i.e. Michael Goldberg, D.O., F.A.C.P. in script.....no patient will care or have the time to read your alphabets lol

Or if you wanna really go out there just add Dr. Michael Goldberg, D.O., F.A.C.P. NO ONE will ever wanna waste their time to read that on someone's coat. Introduce yourself as "Hi I'm Dr. Goldberg the Endocrinologist. What can I do for you today? and life will continue to be smooth.

Not to be a major n00b, but what does FACP stand for? I've seen other ones starting with FA as well

Not to be a major n00b, but what does FACP stand for? I've seen other ones starting with FA as well

Well for example:

Fellow of the American College of Cardiologists (FACC)
Fellow of the American College of Physicians (FACP) --> this is for Internal Med.

Well for example:

Fellow of the American College of Cardiologists (FACC)
Fellow of the American College of Physicians (FACP) --> this is for Internal Med.

Thanks!!

One of the chairs of my pre med letter committee thingy said " wait, you were a kinesiology major... That's not for med school. Why are you a kinesiology major??"

I just thought is throw that out there. :D guy Lewis is sort of right, which is a good thing.. We will obtain the DO degree, we will practice medicine, and therefore we will be medical doctors. I would gladly NOT call myself an incoming medical student if it wasn't true, but since it is, other people who don't know or care enough to do a 3 second google search about DO can bite me :D
Problem with this is that some people do care enough to do a 3 second Google search about DOs and stuff like this pops up: Whoops now they're really confused!

I kind of want to put D.O.O.M. on my coat, for Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine!

Reactions: 8 users
People are seen by DO's all the time without realizing it. There's an understandable assumption that MD = medical doctor and anything else isn't, so can't really blame the confusion. Even in the hospital we write "RN to notify MD..." or on the paperwork it says "MD signature:" etc... DO just doesn't come into people's minds as much because it isn't as commonplace

People are seen by DO's all the time without realizing it. There's an understandable assumption that MD = medical doctor and anything else isn't, so can't really blame the confusion. Even in the hospital we write "RN to notify MD..." or on the paperwork it says "MD signature:" etc... DO just doesn't come into people's minds as much because it isn't as commonplace
You're right. It's all about awareness. For instance, chiropractic medicine stemmed off of osteopathic medicine. In the end, chiropractors "advertised" better and people became more aware of their existence over time. Chiropractors have DC after their names. Do you think most people know that or even care? DPM, NP, PA, MD, DO, RN, EMT, NRP, CNA, CRNA, OD and on and on... Most people don't know what many of these initials mean nor do they necessarily care. I have been in allied health for over seven years now and I still run into initials that stump me. Same thing goes for white coats. I've seen doctors, nurses, educators and numerous others wearing them. Though it is hard not to feel sore when someone with two years of education decides to wear a white coat in a clinical environment versus a doctor who has worked at least eight years (undergrad, med school +) for the privilege.

Last edited:
Old coworker of mine would tell people he was in "med school" while he was doing his rad tech program. In summary I told him he was an idiot in a few more words. he is one of those people who will wear his scrubs EVERYWHERE just to get asked about them.

Ok more importantly, have we established where Goro works? What DO school has a baseball team? Got to be one with an undergrad. (Unless of course it's just a generic cap with a logo)

Last edited:

Just FYI, you can't just put Fellow of American ____ after your medical degree simply by being board certified in your field. There's more to becoming a fellow than board certification.

Just FYI, you can't just put Fellow of American ____ after your medical degree simply by being board certified in your field. There's more to becoming a fellow than board certification.

How do you get to put fellow after your medical degree?

It is interesting how the bias works.

From my experience this is how it has worked:

At the rotations level, some MD students who see the DO students talk about how they probably aren't as smart, etc.

At the resident level (not there yet, but from talking with residents), there is no discrimination between the MDs and DOs.

At the physician level, there is no discrimination between the MDs and the DOs.

At the OLDER physician level today... let's just say when I told an older orthopedic surgeon (late 60s) about my DO school (which has been around for a while), he looked quite confused and said this to me: "What? Is that an accredited school?? You know back in my day, they changed all of the DO schools to MD schools because the DO schools were producing subpar physicians."

Between physicians, I believe the discrimination is biggest at the pre-med/med student level and the Old-timer level....

ACGME "adcoms"... that is another story.