I am struggling...please read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girlinbritish

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to first thanks anyone kindly reading my post...

In order to get into one of the "SDN recommended" Special Master programs with the deadline of June 1, i need to take April Mcat and send the score in May. However, my current practice FL MCAT averages about 24 (Vr 6, Bio 9, Phy 9), with 24 days left, i have not confidence at all.

I have sent in all of the applications for the SMP in Feb.

Most people would say "take it when you are ready", but if i postpone the mcat in april till later, i have no chance to make it to any of the SMP.

I do not what will happen....if i do not complete all of my SMP application by take April MCAT....

I am just freak out now...

Members don't see this ad.

If you are not prepared and want to take it just to be more competitive or to qualify for the SMPs you applied to, don't take the test. Schools won't be too impressed if you take it and don't do well.

However, if it's just nerves/stress, then take study breaks to refocus. MCATs are difficult because of the amount of material it covers and the format of the test. But it also has to do with your mentality behind it. If you already feel like you won't do well, that's going to hurt you.

Try to not think about your applications right now, and focus on easing your stress/anxiety about the test. And practice full length exam scores provide you with some sort of idea of how you will perform on the actual test day, but it's not like you won't be able to score above or below it. It's not written in stone. Are you consistently scoring the same numbers with each practice full length you are taking? If you are, I'd try to find what type of verbal questions you are missing and work on those since you say you are averaging a 6. Find out what it is exactly that makes you feel uneasy about taking the test in April (i.e. difficulty in a particular subject, timing, etc.) and seek help. 24 days is still a lot of time if you use it wisely. Work on your weaknesses, and if you're ready by April, take the test. And if you find that you're not ready by then, take it later. You can reapply to those SMPs or apply to postbac programs that offer MCAT prep. I think Drexel has one, for example. But don't think about those things right now. Focus on your MCAT studies.

You can do this.

Good luck.

Girlinbritish I responded to your PM. WIth your permission Id like to share your PM and my response for other users here that may be wondering the same thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't take the MCAT and do poorly - I cannot see a single positive thing that can come from that. Having no score is much better than having a bad one. Having 1 good score is better than having 1 good one & 1 bad one.

Have you considered taking the GRE? Some schools take it and they offer it all the time.

Also, do you have a killer GPA? If you have a great GPA, maybe you can sneak in with a lower MCAT (I think you'd still need about a 27 - right?). If not, even with a good GPA and a good MCAT score - you're going to be horribly late getting your apps complete in May and you probably won't get in. (It's okay - I got a ton of rejections - just makes an acceptance that much more exciting)

If you're not going to do well, put it off. A lot depends on how strong the rest of your app is - but sitting for an MCAT with a high chance of low score is going to be something you'll regret.

You still have some time. I would go out and buy the exam krackers 1001 mcat questions in every subject and do them relentlessly until you take the test. That's what I did (only for physics and chem though) and I did very well in that section. Study as hard as you can, and if you feel confident take it, if not, don't. I've found that you score a lot higher on the actual MCAT than you do on the practice tests (usually about 2-4 points).

If I were you, I'd take a break from SDN, and do nothing but cram for that MCAT, and get a killer score and boost your confidence! If you really have no confidence about this process, it'll be reflected in your applications and you'll be miserable throughout the entire process. Reward yourself when you do well on MCAT practice tests and exams, and devote yourself to doing well, and try not to get discouraged. Easier said than done, huh? I wasn't "ready" when I took my MCATS either, everyone could use another day or two (or thirty) to perfect their MCAT test taking skills, but go do your best. If your short term goal is just to get into a SMP, then all you need is a 25-ish for the minimum requirement for most SMP admissions. I'm not suggesting you shoot for the minimum by any means, but shoot high, and take it one step at a time. You'll learn a lot in your SMP that will help you with your MCAT in the future if you do need to retake it, and it will buy you time to refine other parts of your application (more volunteering, shadowing, etc). Summary: Go for it! But try boost your confidence along the way. If you really have none at all, then maybe reconsider applying altogether.
:luck: