I am super upset...What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rxpharmdqd

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok...Please let me have a little bit of introduction of my background to help understand the situation....

I was not born in US. I came to US when I was in high school. YES, I have an accent. Clearly 'not-born-in-US' accent! But I went to high school in US. I went to 6 yrs of Pharmacy school in US. I passed all of pharmacy classes with good grades, finished rotations without any problem. My husband speaks only English, so do my children, which means we speak English in my house. I do NOT have any communication problem at all.

My partner, pharmacy manager, talks about me as if I was 'freshly off a boat' quite often. If a customer comes and say his/her doctor called when I was working, but if it's not in the system, then he would say to tech I didn't understand doctor or message, and just discard it. Several occasions, we found out later pts't doctors called in to different pharmacy by mistake, I did NOT throw them away (because I didn't understand according to him)

If a doctor called in rx (it was not even a similar, it was a totally different drug and direction, quantity...etc...entirely different rx) from what pt wanted, then he would say, I might have had difficulty understanding a doctor. What the heck???? If someone couldn't even understand 'FIVE' vs. 'THRITY' (rx called in for 5 pills which pt was very upset he didn't get 30 tabs), that person should not be able to work at all in US because of not understanding even basic English!!!!

At first I was thinking he didn't really mean anything bad, but now I am getting REALLY pissed off. Any complains of not getting the quantity pt wants, or MD hasn't call back yet...etc..Then he would say I might have hard time understanding...ACKKKKKKKKKKK!!!

I am hesitant to confront him because my techs told me pharmacy manager has been saying like that (he thinks I am having difficult time understanding English) with good intention to cover me (there was a situation...long story..). They will be in a difficult situation if I confront him. I AM REALLY UPSET!!!!!!!!! What should I do? Thank you for reading my long story.
 
Last edited:
Document all of your partners actions (dates, times. and actual events) and then speak to him/her and ask him/her to discontinue their behavior. If that fails, contact you HR department.
 
Ok...Please let me have a little bit of introduction of my background to help understand the situation....

I was not born in US. I came to US when I was in high school. YES, I have an accent. Clearly 'not-born-in-US' accent! But I went to high school in US. I went to 6 yrs of Pharmacy school in US. I passed all of pharmacy classes with good grades, finished rotations without any problem. My husband speaks only English, so do my children, which means we speak English in my house. I do NOT have any communication problem at all.

My partner, pharmacy manager, talks about me as if I was 'freshly off a boat' quite often. If a customer comes and say his/her doctor called when I was working, but if it's not in the system, then he would say to tech I didn't understand doctor or message, and just discard it. Several occasions, we found out later pts't doctors called in to different pharmacy by mistake, I did NOT throw them away (because I didn't understand according to him)

If a doctor called in rx (it was not even a similar, it was a totally different drug and direction, quantity...etc...entirely different rx) from what pt wanted, then he would say, I might had a difficulty understanding a doctor. What the heck???? If someone couldn't even understand 'FIVE' vs. 'THRITY' (rx called in for 5 pills which pt was very upset he didn't get 30 tabs), that person should not be able to work at all in US because of not understanding even basic English!!!!

At first I was thinking he didn't really mean anything bad, but now I am getting REALLY pissed off. Any complains of not getting the quantity pt wants, or MD hasn't call back yet...etc..Then he would say I might have hard time understanding...ACKKKKKKKKKKK!!!

I am hesitant to confront him because my techs told me pharmacy manager has been saying like that (he thinks I am having difficult time understanding English) with good intention to cover me (there was a situation...long story..). They will be in a difficult situation if I confront him. I AM REALLY UPSET!!!!!!!!! What should I do? Thank you for reading my long story.

Did the situation involve a mistake made due to a miscommunication involving you?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did the situation involve a mistake made due to a miscommunication involving you?
No, not even once. So, I really don't know where his reasoning came from...only because I have an accent. Like I mention, my husband and my kids speaks only English (my husband and my kids were born in US), we use English at home. I understand English 100%, And I NEVER NEVER NEVER heard from anyone said they could not understand me, either.
 
Did the situation involve a mistake made due to a miscommunication involving you?
Oh, I just saw you bolded a line I mention tech was trying to cover me and there was a situation. The situation was kind of mentioned in my original post. But tech was standing up for me with TRUTH, not with excuses!

When my partner was working, a custmer came to pharmacy complained that I gave him only 5 pills which he was supposed to get 30 pills of control med he was on. He said that his doctor promised him for 30 pills. But it was called in for 'FIVE'!!! After a long story, his original doctor called in to a different pharmacy by mistake. Since I didn't have his refill authorization, I paged a covering doctor. A covering doctor authorized onlly 5 pills. He just took medication bag without looking at it assuming 30 pills were in the vial! When pharmacy manager said maybe I didn't understand doctor correctly 5 pills vs 30 pills (what the heck!) my tech told him I ALWAYS repeat/read prescriptions back to doctors. So, there would be NO mistake from my side. This is only one example......
 
Last edited:
In the US, are 2nd generation immigrants(visible minorities) who were born in UK/Australia, still perceived as fresh-off the boat?
 
In the US, are 2nd generation immigrants(visible minorities) who were born in UK/Australia, still perceived as fresh-off the boat?

psshhh, my family has been here since TX was still Mexico and I still am occasionally perceived as fresh off the boat. No spanish speaking skills and all. 😉
 
Did you seriously put down a link to wikipedia. What the hell is wrong with you?

Mods ban this user for life for being an idiot.

Did you seriously just disregard Wikipedia because that's what the elitists told you to do?

Did you want me to find at least 5 primary articles on harassment, sir?
 
In the US, are 2nd generation immigrants(visible minorities) who were born in UK/Australia, still perceived as fresh-off the boat?

Only in times of miscommunication or confustion where someone would normally think an individual who was not FOB would understand. So, no, not generally. The other aspect would be if you picked up the accent from your parents. If you sound like an Aussie, you may be considered a FOB even though you're not.
 
Only in times of miscommunication or confustion where someone would normally think an individual who was not FOB would understand. So, no, not generally. The other aspect would be if you picked up the accent from your parents. If you sound like an Aussie, you may be considered a FOB even though you're not.

Is this because the Australian accent is not very well known in the US?
 
Did you seriously put down a link to wikipedia. What the hell is wrong with you?

Mods ban this user for life for being an idiot.

While I likely would agree with you that Wikipedia is not a valid reference for most things clinical. It is an excellent way to find links to primary literature in the references section of each page. With that being said, I don't see any harm in referencing Wikipedia with regard to the definition of harassment.

Your comment was not necessary or helpfuf.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok...Please let me have a little bit of introduction of my background to help understand the situation....

I was not born in US. I came to US when I was in high school. YES, I have an accent. Clearly 'not-born-in-US' accent! But I went to high school in US. I went to 6 yrs of Pharmacy school in US. I passed all of pharmacy classes with good grades, finished rotations without any problem. My husband speaks only English, so do my children, which means we speak English in my house. I do NOT have any communication problem at all.

My partner, pharmacy manager, talks about me as if I was 'freshly off a boat' quite often. If a customer comes and say his/her doctor called when I was working, but if it's not in the system, then he would say to tech I didn't understand doctor or message, and just discard it. Several occasions, we found out later pts't doctors called in to different pharmacy by mistake, I did NOT throw them away (because I didn't understand according to him)

If a doctor called in rx (it was not even a similar, it was a totally different drug and direction, quantity...etc...entirely different rx) from what pt wanted, then he would say, I might have had difficulty understanding a doctor. What the heck???? If someone couldn't even understand 'FIVE' vs. 'THRITY' (rx called in for 5 pills which pt was very upset he didn't get 30 tabs), that person should not be able to work at all in US because of not understanding even basic English!!!!

At first I was thinking he didn't really mean anything bad, but now I am getting REALLY pissed off. Any complains of not getting the quantity pt wants, or MD hasn't call back yet...etc..Then he would say I might have hard time understanding...ACKKKKKKKKKKK!!!

I am hesitant to confront him because my techs told me pharmacy manager has been saying like that (he thinks I am having difficult time understanding English) with good intention to cover me (there was a situation...long story..). They will be in a difficult situation if I confront him. I AM REALLY UPSET!!!!!!!!! What should I do? Thank you for reading my long story.

Don't confront him. Go to your HR department. It's illegal and should not be tolerated.
 
If he asks you a question, punch him in the face. Say "Sorry, I must have misunderstood. I though you asked me to hit you."



But really, talk to HR
 
Where is Z to tell us all about how great HR is in these times?

OP, sounds like your partner has issues. Like others mentioned, documentation is key. Without it, you don't have a solid case aside from your word (and the word of the techs) against his.
 
Documentation works well from a liability standpoint.

But how is it alleviating your current situation on a day-to-day basis if you don't plan on using it?

I would actually address it with your manager because problem will just sit there and agonize you every day.

If you don't feel comfortable confronting in person, write an email/letter. Think/write down what you plan to say (you may use examples you collected during documentation, but don't make it sound too crafted), and bring it up the very next time when another situation pops up.

Choose the format you think he will most likely accept. The bottom line is NOT to prove that "he is wrong and you are right." You just want to harbor TRUST between the two of you, at the end of the day, make both of your lives easier.

GOOD LUCK!
 
Documentation works well from a liability standpoint.

But how is it alleviating your current situation on a day-to-day basis if you don't plan on using it?

I would actually address it with your manager because problem will just sit there and agonize you every day.

If you don't feel comfortable confronting in person, write an email/letter. Think/write down what you plan to say (you may use examples you collected during documentation, but don't make it sound too crafted), and bring it up the very next time when another situation pops up.

Choose the format you think he will most likely accept. The bottom line is NOT to prove that "he is wrong and you are right." You just want to harbor TRUST between the two of you, at the end of the day, make both of your lives easier.

GOOD LUCK!

I wouldn't wait for the next situation to pop up. Bring it up right away. Tell him how you feel. I agree that documenting everything will not help you unless you talk with him about your concern. Good luck!