I am tired

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Takeski

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I felt like I had a good shot at medical school before I applied in the 2021 cycle. 3.8 GPA, 519 MCAT, good hours in clinical volunteering, nonclinical, and research, and applied to 24 schools.
Right after submitting secondaries in late July/early August, my dad died. I didn't finish the semester, and now I'm graduating a year late. Out of 24 schools, 1 II -> waitlist, 7 haven't heard from, and the rest rejected pre-II. Even if I get accepted now, who knows if they'll accept a deferment. Don't even know if I can reapply this next cycle since haven't really been doing any extracurriculars, due to COVID and also the fact that my dad is dead. Medical school is starting to seem like a far away dream. Everything sucks. What am I supposed to do?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 19 users
Please take a break, I know it may seem like it's all or nothing right now, but you deserve to grieve and I am very sorry about your loss. Take time for yourself and be with your family. Med school applications happen every year and won't be going anywhere, rushing or not putting your all as you are concentrating on something else now will not help with your current application cycle. Take some time off, do not rush, and when you are ready come back to apply.

Reactions: 5 users
I am so sorry for your loss .
First of all, you need to take a breathe and make sure you are taking care of yourself .
Next - you will still be competitive next year . Your grades and Mcat are very impressive (do track your Mcat expiration !!! Don’t let it expire), you have a lot to be proud of . And this is not changing just because you are one year later than you thought .
Do go to WAMC thread and check your school list to make sure it is optimal , when you are ready to apply next time .
Just continue volunteering (just an hour or 2 a week or something ), and it will be ok . There is absolutely no reason for you to stop !!!

a few thoughts for you to consider

1) it’s OK to still want things in life and have a great career even though someone you love is gone .
2) it is OK to still have dreams
3) it is OK to be happy and plan a life you can be excited about , even though they won’t be in it
4) you can SERVE ppl and help those who need you as a doctor . I don’t know your dad, but my parents are so proud of that , and he would probably be too

So take a breath, and keep going . I know that your whole life changed . I know . But your future doesn’t have to .

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My dad also passed away in late August last year. Everything happened right in the middle of application season and interview season. Have grace for yourself; you're doing the best you can during a difficult season of your life. I would take a gap year to just rest, process, and take some time to pursue other ECs or activities. Wishing you the best!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I felt like I had a good shot at medical school before I applied in the 2021 cycle. 3.8 GPA, 519 MCAT, good hours in clinical volunteering, nonclinical, and research, and applied to 24 schools.
Right after submitting secondaries in late July/early August, my dad died. I didn't finish the semester, and now I'm graduating a year late. Out of 24 schools, 1 II -> waitlist, 7 haven't heard from, and the rest rejected pre-II. Even if I get accepted now, who knows if they'll accept a deferment. Don't even know if I can reapply this next cycle since haven't really been doing any extracurriculars, due to COVID and also the fact that my dad is dead. Medical school is starting to seem like a far away dream. Everything sucks. What am I supposed to do?
Take time to heal.

Med schools aren't going anywhere.

Deferments exist precisely for the heartache you're going through.

Have you looked into grief counseling? Or try writing a letter to your dad and let him know how you feel.

Reactions: 5 users
I am so sorry to hear that your dad passed away.
I agree with the advice above. Check to see if your undergrad has free counseling services. And good luck with everything

Reactions: 1 users
Firstly, I'm really sorry to hear about your dad. Dealing with the death of a loved one takes time, and I understand why you would want to take a deferment. You've done all of the work to get a pretty stellar app and I think you should be proud of that. If you need to take time off from school, do it. It's better to take time off to mourn the loss of your father than entering into the stress of medical school whilst having to deal with the grief. Medical school will be there when you're ready.

Reactions: 1 user