Mar 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I am 34 and starting to feel a little despondent about the whole process of applying to medical school. I applied to 35 allopathic schools and 3 osteopathic schools this year and received rejections from almost all of them except for touro-CA where I was placed on the medium wait list. I am finishing up a two year program at Drexel University. I completed their MSP program with a 3.9 and I will be completing their IMS program with a 3.8. The IMS program included all of their first year MD courses except for gross and genetics, and we were graded against the medical school mean. I have a 3.2 GPA and sGPA from UC Berkeley which is why I enrolled in Drexel's program. My other deficiency is my 26 on the MCAT. I plan on taking the MCAT over again in June. I had been working as a researcher and project manager for 8 years at a government research lab and later for a private firm before enrolling at Drexel. I also have years of experience volunteering at free clinics in Berkeley and Philadelphia.

I have asked a number of advisors if I have a shot at medical school with these stats and most have assured me that I should be able to get into a program somewhere, however, I am starting to have serious doubts. Am I completely off my rocker for applying to medical school with these stats and my age? I was told during one of my interviews recently that some administrators on the admissions committee look down on older students because they have fewer years to contribute to the medical school profession. Has anyone had a similar experience? I would be happy to receive any advice before I give up on this pursuit. PM me if you have any specific questions about Drexel's postbac program.

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
There was an applicant from UC Berkeley who got rejected through FOUR application cycles. I guess that's a personal decision.

Sounds like you were in an SMP program at Drexel. Given your exceptional performance, why didn't they let you in?

That postbac GPA helps, but a 3.2 cGPA + 26 MCAT is going to hold you back. Good luck on the MCAT 2nd attempt and your endeavors.

DrHoffy

10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2005
Detroit!
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I also applied later in life....went through 3 cycles before getting in. I had a 28 MCAT and no where near as good as grades as you. Now I am about to be a fourth year! I interviewed allopathic my first two years and I interviewed both allopathic and osteopathic my third try and in the end got accepted by two DO programs. So my point is...if this is really what you want then there is nothing holding you back. I even had a 41 year old in my class!

So , where to go from here? First off...IF you can bear it...call or email the programs that rejected you and see if the admissions person would be willing to let you know what they thought your application weaknesses were....Fix those. (also remember that some of this is going to be based on the overall competitiveness of the application cycle)

Second, try out www.oldpremeds.org this is a forum and an annual conference (june) specifically for people just like you. It is a great support group for the process and a huge resource.

Third, approach Drexel or your alma mater's pre med advisors to review your application with you.

Well, that is my two cents...hopefully it will help....feel free to pm me if you have specific questions. :xf:
M

Mar 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
In order to get the guaranteed interview at Drexel one cannot receive a B- in any class and they must get a 27 on the MCAT. They are very strict with these requirements and I know quite a few people who went in with an interview and ended up losing it because of a B-.

Dec 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
In order to get the guaranteed interview at Drexel one cannot receive a B- in any class and they must get a 27 on the MCAT. They are very strict with these requirements and I know quite a few people who went in with an interview and ended up losing it because of a B-.
Unfortunately that is the nature of SMPs. They are the biggest payoff but also the biggest gamble. I know most schools will not look at you unless you have done a 3.5 of higher in all your SMP course work, so that is all B+ and A grades. I would not want to disparage you but sometimes in life we have to accept what we are given. I am in a different but similar situation. Severe health problems (orthopedic/neurologic problems with my spine) in conjunction with a avg undergraduate cGPA (3.39) and sGPA (3.25) according to AMCAS, school reports cGPA 3.45 and sGPA 3.38 are not helping my prospects for going to allopathic med school. If and when I get my health problems under control after surgery, I am looking to possibly go to PA school in a few years rather than the long arduous road of med school.

I would suggest that you consider possible alternative health care careers, like PA or a therapist so that you could still work in health care and see/treat patients even if it is not as a physician.

The only other recommendation I could make to you is this, once you are complete with your SMP, you can either try taking some more undergrad sci courses (typically undergrad schools will let you take up to 30 or 35 credits as non-matriculating) or try a post-bac programs. Those two options will be the only ways to help raise your undergraduate GPAs but you will need to take the MCAT again!

At least your future is a lot more sure then mine is. My health troubles are really ruining my life right now. I'm lucky if I can start some clinical volunteering this year if I'm lucky because I know that med school and more so PA school, want to see a lot of clinical experience!

Best of Luck To You!

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Classic nontrad delusion: "I'm not getting in because of age discrimination. Oh and I have a 26 on the MCAT."

Retake the MCAT if you want to get in.

Best of luck to you.

DitchDoc73

5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Classic nontrad delusion: "I'm not getting in because of age discrimination. Oh and I have a 26 on the MCAT."

Best of luck to you.
Did you apply early in the cycle, or mid way through?

Dec 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

Best of luck to you.
Dr. Midlife has got it right! You have to take the MCAT again. Except for Temple's SMP, which has a MCAT review course that corresponds with taking the test again, most SMP have no MCAT preparation and warn that you have to take it upon your self to take it again to improve your score because SMPs typically have avg or below avg MCAT scores for admission stats which a normal med school would not even look at.

Again, this is another characteristic that makes SMPs so risky to do. More courses or a post-bac might have been your better option!

mooshika

Removed
Jan 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I hear those stories too about the 26 MCAT getting accepted to decent MD programs. Well Im here to tell you, you won't hear from anyone with an MCAT like that, especially this year - the average has gone up a whole point in two years. It used to be 30 but now it's 31.

If you want interviews at MD schools you need to score over 30. Period. If you are willing to go DO and have an interest in osteopathic manipulation, then maybe you can do it without a retake.

Also, do you have a committee letter? It makes a big difference. You should have one from your SMP.

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
...except for touro-CA where I was placed on the medium wait list...
Waitlist or hold? Did you interview there? If you DID interview: It's not over till the fat lady sings....did you follow up with a Letter of Intention? I hope you have told them at least twice (once over the phone) how you will promise to go there if they let you in.

Good luck,

vc7777

NTF

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Ditto on a lot of the advice in that thread.

Get that MCAT up. Have someone go over your application with a fine-tooth comb to make sure there aren't any red-flags. Ask admissions offices for a "How can I improve" debriefing. Apply early and broadly (which it appears you did.)

Keep at it. You're on the precipice of getting in (barring something you're not telling us.).

Feb 21, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student
I am 34 and starting to feel a little despondent about the whole process of applying to medical school. I applied to 35 allopathic schools and 3 osteopathic schools this year and received rejections from almost all of them except for touro-CA where I was placed on the medium wait list. I am finishing up a two year program at Drexel University. I completed their MSP program with a 3.9 and I will be completing their IMS program with a 3.8. The IMS program included all of their first year MD courses except for gross and genetics, and we were graded against the medical school mean. I have a 3.2 GPA and sGPA from UC Berkeley which is why I enrolled in Drexel's program. My other deficiency is my 26 on the MCAT. I plan on taking the MCAT over again in June. I had been working as a researcher and project manager for 8 years at a government research lab and later for a private firm before enrolling at Drexel. I also have years of experience volunteering at free clinics in Berkeley and Philadelphia.

I have asked a number of advisors if I have a shot at medical school with these stats and most have assured me that I should be able to get into a program somewhere, however, I am starting to have serious doubts. Am I completely off my rocker for applying to medical school with these stats and my age? I was told during one of my interviews recently that some administrators on the admissions committee look down on older students because they have fewer years to contribute to the medical school profession. Has anyone had a similar experience? I would be happy to receive any advice before I give up on this pursuit. PM me if you have any specific questions about Drexel's postbac program.
Please do not blame your age. If your stats are low, they do them over again. Getting good grades has NOTHING to do with age and neither does a career change.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status
Attending Physician
I am about to graduate med school on my 43rd birthday. You are not too old. Look at the rest of your application and apply broadly. Those stats should have garnered an interview or acceptance to at least a DO school.

UpwardTrend

Post Baccin it up
Oct 31, 2009
Mizzouri
Status
Pre-Medical
I would apply to more than 3 DO schools if I were you. You have the stats that should get you into a DO school. Osteopathic will also be a little more accepting of your non trad background.

Have you looked for feedback on your essays, EC's, and interview techniques?