I am wanting to become a vet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foxington

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope this is posted in the right section. Anyway, here are some things about me:

I am 15 and a half, and an American 10th grader moving to the 11th this September. I have always loved animals, and had a great interest in them but for the past 2 or 3 years I have noticed that I have huge compassion for them. Even animals which I am not the biggest fans of (snakes, and most reptiles) I am still highly interested in. I think that at this point of my life, I have an excellent clue that being a vet is what I want to do. I know it takes a lot of effort and time though, but in the long-run it's worth doing what you wanna do. I am here because I would like to know what it takes. I am a teenager who is considered to be special needs, and I learn a bit slower than others because of my disabilities (Asperger's, and Tourette's). That doesn't stop me though with trying. Last year I did horribly, however this year I have improved enormously. My grades aren't the best though, and I have a feeling that my GPA won't be higher than a 2.5. I know getting into Pre-Vet school isn't easy, but I realize it's a combination of leadership skills, your experience with animals, and how you do on your GPA, etc. I still have time though to do even better, but what do you think it takes to be accepted into Pre-Vet school? Also what are some great things invovling animals I can do on the side which would be on my college app? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

There are no "pre-vet" schools. You can pretty much go to any school you would like that offers the pre-requisites for the vet schools. You would be a pre-vet in college, meaning you would be taking classes that are required by veterinary schools. Each school's pre-requirements vary, but most are biology 1 and 2, chemistry 1 and 2, organic chemistry 1 and 2, physics 1 and 2 and biochemistry. Some schools also require genetics, microbiology, statistics etc. Even if they don't require it, it is good to take science classes and show to vet schools that you can handle science classes. There are also schools that offer animal science as a major. You might want to check those out.

And then, after you finish your pre-reqs, you apply to veterinary schools. Getting into vet schools is the competitive part.

I would suggest you to go shadow a veterinarian at any clinic right now. Then decide if this is what you want. You might not actually like it. And if you do like it, all those hours that you shadow will be counted for in your application to vet schools later on.

Also, check out early admission programs at veterinary schools. You might get to apply earlier than other students since you are already decided on what you want to do. (I would still highly suggest shadowing a vet before making a decision)

Good luck!

Catnips made some excellent points. However, you can major in anything in college (art, engineering, history, biology) as long as you complete all of the pre-requisite courses. Most people applying to vet school in their third year of college.

School and grades are very important, but so is veterinary experience. I would take the time over your summer breaks to shadow a vet and see if you like it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! My neighbor is a vet, and my dad will be asking him if I can volunteer at his office somehow and observe what a vet does because of my interest. Say I don't do the best in high school, and graduate with an average/below average GPA, but do outstandingly in college and finish off with a great GPA and hefty background, is that what vet schools look at?

Vet schools do not look at your high school GPA, just your college one. But try to do well in high school now, because you need to gather good study techniques to be ready to do well in college. Even if you can't bring your high school GPA up much, just see what works well for you studying wise so you can be better prepared for college.

I'll try, right now I have trouble studying and don't do it so often. As high school becomes more complex, the material we learn becomes much more and at a certain rate it becomes a bit too much to keep up with. I am getting more and more use to it though, it is just really hard. Any tips on developing good study habits? In middle school it was easier, because of course we had to study much less. I used to study a lot during middle school. It is hard to remember almost each important detail in 2-4 lengthy packets about whatever we are learning.

I'll try, right now I have trouble studying and don't do it so often. As high school becomes more complex, the material we learn becomes much more and at a certain rate it becomes a bit too much to keep up with. I am getting more and more use to it though, it is just really hard. Any tips on developing good study habits? In middle school it was easier, because of course we had to study much less. I used to study a lot during middle school. It is hard to remember almost each important detail in 2-4 lengthy packets about whatever we are learning.

I would suggest you seek help with this. See if your high school has resources for study tips or learning. Talk to your teachers as well. Go see your guidance counselor to start off with. Study methods that work for one person do not necessarily work for another and it is a good idea to start seeking help now at the first sign that you are having difficulty with keeping up with material instead of later. College only adds on more information and as you progress through school it only gets harder. I am not saying this to scare you, but it is good that you recognize you have difficulties now, so go get yourself some good help either via your school or via a learning center. They will be better able to guide you than anyone on the internet posting random study tips that may or may not work for you, especially considering you do have some disabilities, it is better to get professional help because they may or, more than likely, will have worked with other students with those same disabilities.

I didn't think of this, and I will. Also is it true that many vets start out as vet techs or assistants?

I didn't think of this, and I will. Also is it true that many vets start out as vet techs or assistants?

it depends on the state i think, some states require you to be a registered vet tech in order to be called a vet tech, others don't mind as much. A veterinary assistant is considered a more entry-level job in the veterinary field and is a great way to get more hands-on experience as opposed to merely shadowing a vet. That said, I believe most students who want to go to vet school have some degree of experience as a veterinary assistant, whether it be volunteer or paid experience. Please correct me if i'm wrong, still kind of new here

Reactions: 1 user
Also what vet schools are the gentlest when it comes to acceptance rates? So far, I see Iowa State is pretty lenient with a mere 84% acceptance rate.

84% seems incredibly high to me. The last nationwide average acceptance rate I heard of for veterinary school was somewhere around 35- 40%.

I think you may be thinking of the acceptance rate to the college itself (i.e. the undergraduate program). Not the vet school.

You also do not have to go to college at a university that has a vet school, just FYI. Or be a pre-vet major (many schools don't even have such a thing). As long as you excel in prereqs, keep a high GPA, get good experience, etc. your major does not have to be animal-specific or prevet. I was a biochemistry major in college.

Last edited:
Some start out as kennel assistants ( :hello: ) and I think some people never have a paid job in a vet clinic but get experience shadowing. But I think those people likely have applications that are really strong in other areas. And it probably depends on what schools they apply to.

Personally, I think it's really valuable to have a paid job in a vet clinic, whether it's as a vet assistant or a kennel assistant. And for kennel assistants, it's valuable to have a great attitude about helping the techs and show that you want to learn - it doesn't teach you as much if you simply clean what you're told to and don't put in the effort to learn more about the field.
Also what vet schools are the gentlest when it comes to acceptance rates? So far, I see Iowa State is pretty lenient with a mere 84% acceptance rate.
Do you live in a state with a vet school? Or in a state that has a contract with another state's school? I'm pretty sure your in-state will usually have the highest percent acceptance rate for you(only counting resident applicants).

Edited: Sorry, DVMD, I meant to quote foxington but quoted you instead.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I live in NY state, and the only university here which I can think of which has a vet program is Cornell, but that is out of the question because of how hard it is to get into.

I live in NY state, and the only university here which I can think of which has a vet program is Cornell, but that is out of the question because of how hard it is to get into.

You are only in high school and you have already decided to fail? Today, decide you will get into Cornell, punch vet school in the face, and show it who's boss.

Reactions: 2 users
Vaca, you know you are right. I just want to be realistic, however if I do really well these last two years then maybe I can get in.

Vaca, you know you are right. I just want to be realistic, however if I do really well these last two years then maybe I can get in.

It isn't just the last two years of high school you need to do well in. You also need to do well in your college courses as well.

I also suggest that you find a vet that will allow you to shadow them. You need to make sure that this is something you really want to do before you decide to commit to it. Veterinary medicine is probably much different from what you are expecting it to be like.

Also, veterinary school is hard to get into, period. It does not matter which school you are talking about they are all very competitive and very difficult to get into.

You don't need to go to Cornell for undergrad to apply for or get into Cornell's vet school. You can go to any good NY college, do well, and apply as a NY resident.

You don't need to go to Cornell for undergrad to apply for or get into Cornell's vet school. You can go to any good NY college, do well, and apply as a NY resident.

You also don't even need to do your undergrad in NY state either - I am a NY resident but I lived in Ohio during undergrad and just never switched residencies. Lots of options there. Good luck @Foxington !

Thanks guys! My neighbor is a vet, and my dad will be asking him if I can volunteer at his office somehow and observe what a vet does because of my interest. Say I don't do the best in high school, and graduate with an average/below average GPA, but do outstandingly in college and finish off with a great GPA and hefty background, is that what vet schools look at?

Ask the neighbor vet yourself if you can come shadow. Show the initiative and interest and they'll be more likely to consider it.

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you guys! And Redhead, my dad will be asking him sometime this month. I hope he allows it (I think he will though). Also say I get a lot of C's and B's in vet school, would that lead me to being kicked out or failed?

Thank you guys! And Redhead, my dad will be asking him sometime this month. I hope he allows it (I think he will though). Also say I get a lot of C's and B's in vet school, would that lead me to being kicked out or failed?
Absolutely not. A C and above will allow you to pass vet school, and some go through with the moto C=DVM (some schools allow a certain number of Ds, some will not, it depends on the individual school). However, at this point I would focus on nailing the last two years of high school, and then excelling in college to get you into vet school before you worry too much about vet school grades themselves.

Alright, I will. Also lets say I go to a New York City college (CUNY) and take my courses for sciences there, would vet schools really care what college I went to as long as I did well there?

Alright, I will. Also lets say I go to a New York City college (CUNY) and take my courses for sciences there, would vet schools really care what college I went to as long as I did well there?
As long as it is a decent, 4 year college you should be fine. They don't really want to see all of your classes coming from a community college.

There is nothing realistic about getting into vet school. Getting into vet school is insane, absurd, a Seurat painting up close, an ice cream taco, fight club.

Every vet school in the country wants you - now go do the work.

There is nothing realistic about getting into vet school. Getting into vet school is insane, absurd, a Seurat painting up close, an ice cream taco, fight club.

'
I read that as "ice cream taco fight club" which is something out of my wildest dreams.

Reactions: 3 users

I think it is important to repeat what Ashgirl said again. You are getting way ahead of yourself here. I understand this all seems exciting right now, but you need to slow down or you are going to overwhelm yourself. You also need to stop selling yourself short. Stop thinking you are going to fail before you even begin. Stop thinking you are only going to get C's and B's right off. You need to make a plan and tackle it one thing at a time.

Start with:

1. Seeking study help/guidance. You need to do this, even if you do not end up choosing to continue on to vet school. This will help you tremendously for any schooling you do in the future, especially since you are recognizing you are having difficulties. Do this now. Do this first. Do this yesterday.

2. Find a vet to shadow. ASK THE VET YOURSELF. How old are you? 15, almost 16. You are almost an adult, time to start asking and doing adult things. This is your life, your future, get out there and do things for yourself. You can't have parents asking things for you forever and the teen years are a perfect time to start breaking those ties and become responsible for yourself and your life (this does not mean ignoring your parents, their rules still apply). Call up the vet, better yet, go into the clinic and ask him. Dress well, be polite, ask to speak to him and ask him if you can shadow.

3. Determine if vet med is something you really want to do. This ties into shadowing. You have zero experience as to what veterinary medicine is actually like. Shadow and figure out what it is about. You need to discover if this really is something you want to do for the rest of your life. Gain some experience and insight into the career first, then if you are still interested you can progress from there.

I recommend you start there before you start worrying yourself with college and what kind of grades you can get in vet school.

I agree. If someone's parent asked me if their kid could shadow me, my first question would be why the kid didn't ask themselves.

I agree. It would be one thing if it was a 10 year old kid who just wants to see what a vet does. But OP, if you're old enough to be considering your career path, you are old enough to go speak to that vet yourself. It's time to start growing up and realize that your parents can't do everything for you.

I also think you need to take the initiative to do some research on your own. Asking questions here is great, but you don't seem to have any understanding of where to begin on this career path and a lot of your posts make it seem like you're not fully comprehending what people here are telling you. Use Google. Look up colleges in your area and see what programs they offer. Check out the admissions websites of vet schools and see what courses you need to apply, then find colleges that offer those courses. Talk the vet you're going to shadow and ask him about the path he took (and for the love of all that is holy, don't send your father to ask :rolleyes:). There's plenty of information out there, and you'll have a much easier time digesting it all if you go and read it yourself.

Here's a great place to start: http://vbs.psu.edu/majors/vbs/steps-to-becoming-a-veterinarian

What's absurd about an ice cream taco? I freaking love those things. :laugh: