I.B students for Irish Med Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeyad

Soon-to-be resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
i'm currently an IB studen in Qatar, wishing to apply to Irish medical schools. Cost is not really an issue for me, althought it is ridicilous. I'm wondering, since Irish schools are known for international students, how hard is it to get in with my IBs? Thank you in advance..

Members don't see this ad.

..any replies anyone? please? :(

I'd recommend just applying. I think Irish schools would have had applicants with IBs before, I'm just not sure if IB marks are equivalent to anything specific in terms of comparison with A levels or anything like that. I'd recommend contacting the med faculty offices of whichever school(s) you're interested in and asking specific questions about IB correlations and acceptance of IBs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cheers! One more question, is it generally easier for internationals to get in than local irish applicants?

zeyad said:
Cheers! One more question, is it generally easier for internationals to get in than local irish applicants?

Well, not really sure about that ...I'm a newbie @ the med school here too :oops: . However, I do know >50% of RCSI students(of their total class size ) are international students. Maybe you can e-mail the counselor/ admission @ school(s) that you are interested to find out the detail info.
There are 5 med schools in The Rep. Of Ireland:
Trinity College Dublin,
RCSI,
Univ. College Dublin,
Univ. College Cork,
NUI-Galway

SYD0910 said:
Well, not really sure about that ...I'm a newbie @ the med school here too :oops: . However, I do know >50% of RCSI students(of their total class size ) are international students. Maybe you can e-mail the counselor/ admission @ school(s) that you are interested to find out the detail info.
There are 5 med schools in The Rep. Of Ireland:
Trinity College Dublin,
RCSI,
Univ. College Dublin,
Univ. College Cork,
NUI-Galway

Cheers for that, i'm going to be applying to:
Trinity College Dublin,
RCSI and
Univ. College Dublin..

REALLY want to get in, wish me luck! for 100 euros an application, i better stand a chance! :laugh:

zeyad said:

Currently yes, although the increased number of places for Irish students being brought in might redress the balance. The greatest discrepancy between results required for foreign students and Irish students is at RCSI.