I bet this gets repetitive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xempt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that I don't have extremely high chances, I've never been a perfect student and for the first part of my academic career I was on academic probation e.g. a 2.5 GPA. At the end of freshman year I decided to quit university and attend a small community college where I did decently (3.0 GPA). I quit at my first school because I knew that I wasn't applying myself and I wanted to have a chance to discover my capabilities as a student. I was recently accepted into a BS program for environmental science and finished my first quarter with a 3.8 GPA while taking chemistry and physics with labs simultaneously. I still have 3 years to improve my overall cumulative GPA, I was a business major but I switched over to the sciences. Besides grades I feel I have a unique and interesting story to tell that is genuine. You see I traveled abroad for a semester visiting 11 different countries spanning from Ghana, to Mauritius, India, and Veit Nam, although my grades weren't excellent during this trip when I got home I completely changed, my grades have skyrocketed since the experience I had over there, as well I feel different now, more mature and ready to tackle the world.

I know that getting some EC's are a must and am planning on volunteering with the civil air patrol (nonprofit, conducting airplane search and rescue operations, I have a PPL) and shadowing some doctors if possible next semester / maybe even work as an EMT over the summer. I know that a lot of students do these things but I want to present myself as a strong and interesting candidate. I have already started studying for the MCAT, I know that if I do well on that test it can be a deal maker or breaker for that matter.... anyways I'm just doing the best I can, I cant change the past, but can always change the future.

To strengthen my application even further I might be thinking about grad school if necessary as well, then again if I don't get accepted into med school the first time that's what I'll be doing anyways!

Anyways I appreciate any feedback, I know these may be some long shots, If my cumulative eventually gets above a 3.4 and I score a high MCAT I know I have a chance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Retake all the classes you did poorly at, then apply D.O is what I'm doing, although my situation is markedly worse than yours.

I know that I don't have extremely high chances, I've never been a perfect student and for the first part of my academic career I was on academic probation e.g. a 2.5 GPA. At the end of freshman year I decided to quit university and attend a small community college where I did decently (3.0 GPA). I quit at my first school because I knew that I wasn't applying myself and I wanted to have a chance to discover my capabilities as a student. I was recently accepted into a BS program for environmental science and finished my first quarter with a 3.8 GPA while taking chemistry and physics with labs simultaneously. I still have 3 years to improve my overall cumulative GPA, I was a business major but I switched over to the sciences. Besides grades I feel I have a unique and interesting story to tell that is genuine. You see I traveled abroad for a semester visiting 11 different countries spanning from Ghana, to Mauritius, India, and Veit Nam, although my grades weren't excellent during this trip when I got home I completely changed, my grades have skyrocketed since the experience I had over there, as well I feel different now, more mature and ready to tackle the world.

I know that getting some EC's are a must and am planning on volunteering with the civil air patrol (nonprofit, conducting airplane search and rescue operations, I have a PPL) and shadowing some doctors if possible next semester / maybe even work as an EMT over the summer. I know that a lot of students do these things but I want to present myself as a strong and interesting candidate. I have already started studying for the MCAT, I know that if I do well on that test it can be a deal maker or breaker for that matter.... anyways I'm just doing the best I can, I cant change the past, but can always change the future.

To strengthen my application even further I might be thinking about grad school if necessary as well, then again if I don't get accepted into med school the first time that's what I'll be doing anyways!

Anyways I appreciate any feedback, I know these may be some long shots, If my cumulative eventually gets above a 3.4 and I score a high MCAT I know I have a chance! :)
With 3 years of consistent excellent grades, you definitely have a chance.

You might take a look at this AMCAS worksheet to see the Experiences categories that are valued to get more ideas for activities in which to engage: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181674/data/2012_application_worksheet.pdf

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

1. I bolded a few things that I personally would consider red falgs

2. What is your cumulative GPA, including all college coursework, ever?

3. Keep up the positive trend--you're on the right track.

You have 3 more years. Def possible and with your life experiences and unique EC's, coupled with around a >3.4 GPA, you can def land in interview.
GL for your next 3 years.

I had a terrible semester and an F. I got a full semester of Cs and then one with that F, a B, a B-, and the rest As. After that for 3 years I got all As and A- with one B+ each semester. I did well on the MCAT, had solid extracurriculars and several LORs. It is possible as long as you apply yourself, show that you're dedicated, and you interview well. I was accepted at my top choice DO school and my second choice MD school. So there is hope! Keep it up!

3.0 GPA at a community college= epic fail

3.8 GPA at University Epic Fail????

I forgot to mention the 3.0 GPA was my cGPA at the time hence not just my CC GPA.

I had a terrible semester and an F. I got a full semester of Cs and then one with that F, a B, a B-, and the rest As. After that for 3 years I got all As and A- with one B+ each semester. I did well on the MCAT, had solid extracurriculars and several LORs. It is possible as long as you apply yourself, show that you're dedicated, and you interview well. I was accepted at my top choice DO school and my second choice MD school. So there is hope! Keep it up!

Thanks man, and congrats on you're acceptance.

I hope when the time comes I will interview well, I've taken some public speech classes, though I've always found it easier to talk to an individual versus a crowd of people. Anyways I got plenty of time to work on it, :p

Last edited:
3.8 GPA at University Epic Fail????

I forgot to mention the 3.0 GPA was my cGPA at the time hence not just my CC GPA.

Thanks man, and congrats on you're acceptance.

I hope when the time comes I will interview well, I've taken some public speech classes, though I've always found it easier to talk to an individual versus a crowd of people. Anyways I got plenty of time to work on it, :p

I guess that makes it okay???

Regardless, best of luck with your journey, unless you are applying for the class of 2017.