I can't go on. I'll go on.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrubs421

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
N/A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
"I can't go on. I'll go on"

This quote epitomizes residency for me. I am in a "lifestyle" oriented residency. However, residency has been crushing in terms of work load (much more than my intern year). I am trying to do everything I can do to balance finances, family, clinical responsibilities, research, paperwork, and other responsibilities, but it often feels like too much.

I am constantly thinking of other "famous quotes" regarding residency training to 'help' me through:
"They can always hurt you more but they cannot stop the clock" and the above-mentioned quote as well.

I have definitely tried exercising, diet modifications, and maintaining sleep to improve my outlook/mood. However, all of these are constantly elusive given the aforementioned pressures. Not really looking for anything particular, but wondering how others are feeling (I am a PGY-3 by the way).
Sorry OP. Maybe some cynical humour will help? :)

RmRAItY.jpg

dUgCiRW.jpg

9OXEIag.jpg

3m6A0x1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I had a medical school attending share a mantra of "this is not the rest of my life." It captures that you've got a life outside of training but also that you'll have a life after training.

I'm in a lifestyle specialty, too, yet have probably a more intense job than a lot of people in my field, and yet it's still way way better than being a resident.

Reactions: 3 users
It does get better. Attending life isn't all rosy, but it beats residency.

You're going to get through this. You wouldn't have made it this far if you couldn't handle it.

Reactions: 1 users
"I can't go on. I'll go on"

This quote epitomizes residency for me. I am in a "lifestyle" oriented residency. However, residency has been crushing in terms of work load (much more than my intern year). I am trying to do everything I can do to balance finances, family, clinical responsibilities, research, paperwork, and other responsibilities, but it often feels like too much.

I am constantly thinking of other "famous quotes" regarding residency training to 'help' me through:
"They can always hurt you more but they cannot stop the clock" and the above-mentioned quote as well.

I have definitely tried exercising, diet modifications, and maintaining sleep to improve my outlook/mood. However, all of these are constantly elusive given the aforementioned pressures. Not really looking for anything particular, but wondering how others are feeling (I am a PGY-3 by the way).

pgy3 here too...

so we made so much fun of people like you in my graduating class in med school on match day..."look at you living the dream and going into a cushy specialty"... etc...

turns out they work their butts off... and i thought I worked hard... (i'm in medicine btw)

i wish i could share something profound, but literally there's nothing anyone can say here that'll make it better... hell you've been doing better than me - at least you've tried doing all these things like exercising, eating better, etc... i was like F it.... i just take it day by day....

i "think" (not sure) it may make you feel better if you really trust us when we tell you that we know LITERALLY what you are going through although we rarely talk about it because we are so numb. Just like you, wee're also trying to keep our heads above water... I feel like I'm talking on behalf of most of us pgy3s here on SDN...

you'll be fine...

funny you mention quotes though because I think that's what got me through intern year... i used to like googling quotes till i gave up on life and realized this residency thing is just something I need to get through...

we're almost there dude :)